Vintage Quilt Kit

I sometimes can’t pass up an item on eBay.    Many of you already know that I really hate to do applique.  I admire those who do it but It is just not enjoyable for me and I doubt that it ever will be.  I know how to do it, But I haven’t got the patience for it.  So why did I buy this applique kit?

The applique is pretty simple and I think I can get it done without loss of sanity, and I really like the design.  Lots of space for quilting. I am actually looking forward to doing it,  It shouldn’t take all  that long and I really look forward to hand quilting it.

I have about 1/2 dozen other kits that I keep thinking some day I will work on….I started one for Christmas 2 years ago and got a very small amount of it done.    Will this one be different?    I think so,  I really like it and it was a good price.

I started to work on the Bella Suede quilt a few days ago and I did make a few more blocks since then. I have 7 done and the quilt will be 25 blocks (I think).  When I design a quilt I really Make it up as I go so I  am never sure until I do it.

Back to some hand quilting on a gorgeous applique that I didn’t have to applique ….someone did it for me about 160 years ago

24 thoughts on “Vintage Quilt Kit

1. Angela says:

Teddy, you and I know what is going to happen with that kit, don’t we? But the man enjoys that way and we are okay with that. Now, we are very proud of that quilt that he is working on, I mean the one with you in the picture. And let me tell you, you look great! Will you get a special bone for Christmas? I hope so.

2. Annette says:

I love the appliqué you are working on. I love to do applique. There are tons of methods to do it – maybe you should try a few others?

I like that kit — it does have a certain grace of composition, although that’s a very ’70s rendition of “colonial chintz.” And plenty of room to run with the quilting.

4. Jane S. says:

Teddy has a knowing smile in that last photo! 🙂

5. Catherine Silling says:

the applique quilt in the hoop is gorgeous. lucky quilt that it found you after all these years of existing un-quilted! it will be a beauty for many more years. Do you or any of your internet friends know the name of that old pattern? I love it.

I have not been able to find a name for the pattern,in any of my reference books, nor have any of my quilt historian friends. there are many many quilts for that era that are simply refereed to as “unnamed” and this is one of them/ I will copy the pattern and document it , some day another example of it may turn up some day

6. Judy Dietrich says:

You should find someone who likes to appliqué & exchange services for doing your quilt top. I don’t know why everyone fears appliqué so much—it means “to patch”. If you can quilt by hand, you can see by hand. Practice makes perfect. I remember the second quilt top—red & yellow being up for sale. Got too rich for me really quickly. What a gorgeous find. I love the color scheme. I also buy quilt top kits on eBay. I need to start making more than I buy!!! I made need to join a group!! Merry Christmas & Hsppy New Year to you & your sidekick Teddy!!

Well I don’t fear applique, I can do it quite well, I just don’t enjoy doing it, it is like adding the binding to a quilt, I really don’t enjoy doing that, but I do it.

The antique top was way to rich for my blood as well, but a friend bought it and I am quilting it for her….I really am honored to be working on such a great piece.

merry Christmas and happy new year to you as well

7. Helen says:

Hello, Tim! It mus be a strange, but wonderful feeling to work on a quilt somebody had made 160 years ago!
    I wish you much pleasure with the appliqué, even if it’s not your preferred technique! Personally I prefer the needleturn-method, no glue or anything else, it’s the simpliest and fastest one.
    Wishing you a Merry and bright Christmas!
    Joyeux Noël!

It is strange and wonderful….I keep thinking about the original maker…all those years ago…..I keep perhaps that she liked to do applique but didn’t like to quilt 🙂

I agree, needle turn is my preferred method as well, just like they did 160 years ago 🙂

Merry Christmas

8. Jill says:

Attractive quilt kit. In my quilt collection are some kit quilts completed. Pretty, but please make note of the background fabric and batting. They were usually made with a tight weave cotton (percale like) and a heavier batting thus making hand quilting more difficult and less drapeable. Merry Christmas.

The kit is just the top, I will add an appropriate backing and batting, although quilts of the 70’s mostly would have had poly batting, I will use cotton, or wool

merry Christmas

9. Madge says:

Hi Tim and Teddy, I have this kit as a finished quilt. It is included in my kit quilt lecture when I talk about the Ely & Walker fabrics that were in many kits. Let me know if you have any questions when you start working on it. These kits are fun to do when you need to work on something mindless as a relief from the creative work.

Thanks Madge!

Exactly what I was thinking…sort of breaks of mindless activity…..I didn’t realize until you said it, but it makes sense that they would have used Ely & Walker fabric

I’ll let you know how it goes

10. Lynne Latimer Williams says:

Tim, I love to applique. If you aren’t in any big hurry to have it done,, I would consider doing it for you. And the best part is that not only am I a “Latimer”. I also live in Michigan. I am only about an hour from Lansing. I would be willing to show you some of my applique for approval. Lynne

11. […] am making hand quilting progress on several quilts.   Here is the applique kit quilt.    (click pictures to […]

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )