ufo pile

I promised to show you my UFO (unfinished objects) quilts before the end of the year.

First I had to narrow it down to only those that I have actually started to quilt or I am actually in the process of working on.   I have about 300 quilt tops, mostly vintage and antique, but I don’t consider them UFO unless I have started to quilt them or I am in the process of re-working them in some way.

The first one Is from 2010

2011_011311-27-11-next0007

2011_011311-27-11-next0008

here is the back

2011_011311-27-11-next0009

I have been working on it off and on for ever, but I don’t think it wants to be finished.    When I work on it feel tense, normally I feel relaxed when I work on a quilt.

Next is this

2012_0102zig-zag-quilting0006
I love the top but I hate the batting and I stopped working on it.   I think I will have to take out all the quilting and start over. I think this is 3 years sitting like this

I started re-making a top a few years ago, here is one block

2010_0911pine-burr-7-27-110001

I started a quilt with these blocks a few years ago, I have all the fabric I need to make a quilt, but it got set aside, then packed away

2012_0210lansing-new0001

I have had this quilt in the frame for a few years.  I just need to make up my mind to sit at the frame and do it…I am not good at quilting in a frame (I use a hoop) but want to learn to be comfortable on a frame as well

baptist-fans-elbow-quilting 002 to-do- 003

I started the quilting on this a long time ago.   It is fun quilting because I am just making up the design as I go along.  I stopped to start a large whole cloth quilt and never got back to it.

2012_0910logcabin-quilting0014

I got these blocks all cleaned and pressed, and started piecing them together

solomon's temple-cleaning 006

I got 2 of these blocks appliqued and got distracted with another project so they ended up being packed away

applique on point 001

Another applique that got set aside

2012_0104fabric-shopping0005

Here is teddy sitting on a Christmas quilt I started
7-30-13 010

This one I made from reproduction fabrics and got a lot of the quilting done before I started something new

8-4-13 014 ???????????????????????????????

I have about 1/2 of these blocks done (made with my old shirts)

melon patch 2 006

need to sew these blocks together and add a border

I need to finish piecing this one….this is nearly done

I did all the piecing on this but stopped before adding the border

This is a repair project that I stalled on….hope to get back to work on it soon

and here are a few of those 300 tops

So even though I finished a lot of quilts this year there is always something not yet finished, and many more not yet started.

Maybe I can add all of these to the finished list in 2015

Happy New Year and Happy Quilting

41 thoughts on “ufo pile

1. Cheryl says:

Thank You. I don’t feel quite so bad now. If only other’s in the house were more understanding…..

2. Angela says:

Oh, heavens, you have much to do! I would like to see finished the one in the frame, the one in the photo right below, and the one made of your old shirts. I just want to be realistic in my expectations 🙂
    Teddy, please, keep an eye on that guy, he needs to work harder this year. Also, try to convince him not to work on things he does not enjoy, that is a waste in my humble opinion. Hugs.

3. Rose in VT says:

Oh Tim! Your UFO post was worth the wait! I especially love the plaid shirt blocks. You know, the ones that really need to be finished in 2015 will speak to you…Happy New Year.

4. Jan in Nebraska says:

I tried quilting in a frame as well. It didn’t go very well for me. That quilt sits in my UFO pile – it is about half done, but goes much faster and is much more enjoyable in the lap frame. I like to curl up under the quilt I’m working on for warmth. I also seem to quilt well in only one direction, so trying to figure out how to quilt in various directions while the quilt was in the floor frame was discouraging for me. I admire those who can do it and do it well, but I think I’ll keep my floor frame for basting and tying quilts.

5. Pam G. says:

Oh my goodness! I thought I had a lot of ufo’s. Except mine are hardly even started. Thank you for taking the time to do the post – it is inspiration to get going on my own. Hello to Teddy! You both have a safe and wonderful New Year.

6. Nina Schwerdtfeger says:

Love all your work and that you especially care for the vintage/antique quilts. Those quilters call to me too!! Amazing to me how you finish so many quilts yearly. Have a terrific 2015!! Love seeing Teddy!!!

7. Ann Kolpin says:

Well I must say I don’t feel quite so bad now. All of your quilts are beautiful. I envy your quilting talent.

8. Helenanne Judisch says:

There are no words that can explain how truly delighted I am to have found your blog. You are a source of inspiration and encouragement. Ad today’s post cut my “mountain” of UFO quilts (about 30) down to a molehill.

9. Jan Smith says:

I am in awe – what riches to choose from & I so love your freehand and spur of the moment Welsh quilting!

10. Deb says:

Oh how I love your UFO’s! Really like the reproduction top, and the purple pieced top. And Teddy , with all that cuteness …he would get by with any thing here!

11. katechiconi says:

Well, you’ve made me feel MUCH better about my fairly modest UFO pile. Mind you, I don’t work as fast as you, so perhaps we’ll be finishing up at the same time anyway…

12. kemosabaycampground says:

Wow, you have a lot of fun stuff. Love the one in the frame and the one made out of your shirts. I would put those at the top of my list.

13. Catherine Silling says:

love the ones 4 and 5 from bottom of photo list, starting with green background and blocks with bananas and strawberries, etc. in fabric, and the one below it with violet background with very pointy points! these are all lovely though. hope you don’t drive yourself coo coo trying to finish that many in a year. Did your snowflake quilt win a prize somewhere? It should have.

I really like that green one….I should add that high on the list. The Pointy one is right at the top…..love that purple

snowflake will hopefully be in a few shows….entered in a few so far but not yet confirmed if it even made the cut….will see how it goes

14. cjsilling says:

I made a list of my UFOs and though it is intimidating to me, it does not match yours!

15. Louise says:

You have made me feel so much better about my UFO pile! Your is bigger! LOL! I think I would make the quilt in the frame Number 1 for the new year. It is wonderful!

16. wonderful quilts and it looks like you have enough work cut out for you in all those stacked up Happy New Year

17. tdspringer says:

Like you, I am not fond of quilting on a frame. I have never mastered the hand quilting away from me. To me and side-to-side, no problem. So a hoop works so much better for me. Besides, then the project (unless it’s really large) is portable.

18. audrey says:

Especially love your freestyle quilting on the log cabin quilt with the red panel. So lovely and inspiring! I used to put a large quilt on a frame every January and quilt like mad until it was finished. Now I just use my hoop no matter how big or small the quilt. Always a real pleasure to see your ongoing WIPS and their wonderful diversity!

You’ve definitely inspired me to get more hand quilting accomplished myself. A couple years ago when you posted your goal to have at least one finish a month, I thought wow! I could never do that! So I made a goal to finish one quilt every two months throughout the year, thinking that was more doable with my crazy life. It’s working–sometimes I get more, sometimes less, but I’m always more productive in the end. Thank you for your encouraging blog!

19. Kathy Roloff says:

What a wonderful post! I have made a goal for myself that has worked. I must finish a UFO before I start something new (thereby creating another UFO, sometimes). This does get some of the older projects finished. As I say it is a goal, not always met, but somewhat effective.
    Love your work and style!

20. gardnerpam6 says:

I love the quilt in your large frame. So many quilts, so little time……do you ever feel like that? I feel like that way about reading.

21. Martha Caterino says:

Oh my, I love that you have so many WIP.
    Your dedication is my inspiration!

Comments