Happy New Year Stuffing

Happy New Year!
It isn’t quite the new year here yet, about 10 hours to go, but I know that many of my quilting friends from across the world are already in 2015.

I am starting the new year working on the antique applique quilt. (here is the top before any quilting)

Several people have asked what the name of the pattern is.   It is named “unknown” .  As is true of so many quilts of this age the source of the pattern is not known.   The maker may have made it up or adapted it from another quilt, but I find no similar quilts in any of my reference books so it is unknown.

I am adding stuffing (Trapunto) to the feathers today. Here is a picture of the quilting before stuffing.

DSCN5224DSCN5331

And After

I think you can see in the picture how much more prominent the stuffed section is.

To see how I do the stuffing see this post  https://timquilts.com/2013/03/26/trapunto-video/

Teddy finds the whole thing rather uninteresting

DSCN5325 (2)

But he has seen me do this before so he decided a nap is better than watching.

But he sometimes naps with one eye open just to be sure he isn’t missing anything.

Here are some more pictures of the quilt (click to enlarge)

Here is another shot of the back…lots of stuffing to go.

Happy New Year and Happy Quilting

43 thoughts on “Happy New Year Stuffing

1. Sharon Snow says:

It looks fabulous!! I wish I could quilt that well.

2. katechiconi says:

Happy New Year from Down Under, where it’s been 2015 or about 6 hours already, and already it’s boiling hot. Glad I don’t have any quilting to do today, as I wouldn’t be able to take a big quilt in my lap in this weather. Love your trapunto feathers. I hope this year is super productive for you, and that Teddy continues fluffy and adorable.

3. Sandy says:

A stunning quilt. Happy New Quilting Year!

4. Carol Darrow says:

Gorgeous. Wish I knew your secret to getting so much quilting done!

5. Cheryl says:

Happy New Year! I really like the trapunto and this pineapple quilt. I’m busy stitching today as well.

6. Pat Long says:

Beautiful, as usual. Teddy looks very cozy!

7. Eileen Mele says:

Love how you care for and respect Teddy. You know the world and the cruelty therein. Seize the New Year and bottle up all it’s happiness!I’m soaking up a golden sun drenched day. But don’t be fooled, BBy it’s cold outside!!

8. Wonderful quilting! That trapunto makes an enormous difference. I might have to try it… We are two hours away from the New Year.
    A very happy 2015 to you and Teddy. He looks lovely and cosy there.

9. janet says:

That really looks wonderful!! The feathers pop beautifully. Happy 2015!

10. Carla says:

I am working on a cheddar quilt with feathers and crosshatching. Seeing one fourth of it done tells me the feathers need stuffing. Now seeing the gorgeous quilt you are working on confirms it.

11. acityquilter says:

a real beauty….would be easy enough to copy the pattern i would think…..and name it yourself….

Yes I will do that at some point. I have to decide how to handle the borders for a pattern. in this antique it has cut out corners for a poster bed , and a very narrow border at the top , wide on 2 sides….all different…..so I will copy the blocks as they are but do a version of the border that is fitting with the blocks but for a modern bed size

12. Judy says:

Happy New Year Tim! I wish you all good things in 2015! You continue to inspire me with all your quilts and quilting. I love the applique quilt you are working on!! The trapunto really adds to it! Please pass along a little of your quilting mojo to me in the new year! 🙂

13. Ann thomas says:

Happy New Year Tim and Teddy. I will look forward to all your wonderful posts in the new year.Allof your quilts are so beautiful.

14. Rose in VT says:

Happy New Year Tim. Teddy looks warm and comfortable. Bringing in the new year with quilting is a nice indoor activity while it’s cold outside.
    Stay warm!

15. Deb says:

Happy stuffing! You going to stuff the new year in? This quilt is so lovely.

16. suzette shoulders says:

Happy New Year, Tim! You are so inspiring, I am going to clean my quilt studio today, and get busy on a project! How about if you call your wonderful unknown floral pattern “Original Flower”, as it certainly IS! Suzette in Oregon

Happy New Years from Rome (until Sunday)! Lots of fabulosity here, but that quilt is just looking stunning. Very best wishes for a wonderful year, including quilting.

18. Angela says:

On the first day of this new year, I am working on a quilt that was started some time ago and was waiting for the calmness after a hectic work season. Tim and Teddy, you both are a source of inspiration and bring joy to my life. I wish you have a lot of dreams this year.

19. Debi A says:

Happy New Year!! I really enjoy your updates. The trapunto is an outstanding addition to this quilt, Love the new pictures (banner and background) on the webpage this morning!

20. girl in the stix says:

Happy New Year to you and Teddy! Wishing you the best in 2015!

21. I love the trapunto on this quilt as well as the background quilting. Can I ask you if you mark all the background before quilting? You have inspired my new years resolution – finish some of the many UFO’s and make time to quilt! Happy new year.

22. jean says:

absolutely stunning. love it! (but then I love all old quilts or those who look like old quilts)

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )