I did a little more work on the vintage applique quilt kit.
Here is one corner
The kit instructions included a list of DMC embroidery floss to use for the applique. The instructions were to use one strand of floss to do the applique with a blind stitch. I decided to use 2 strands and use a button-hole stitch.
It is difficult to turn the edges under and stitch the piece down with a button-hole stitch, but I don’t like to do raw edge applique so I am turning the edges under and basting them first.
The pieces are all numbered and the top has a numbered diagram as well…..so it is easy to find where the pieces need to go. This is number 5.
I am doing standard applique on the stems….the stems are bias strips that come with the kit already folded
here are some more leaves added….I take out the basting thread after the button-hole stitch is done.
A flower and a bud added
I still have a good amount to do, but it is going a lot faster than I expected and I am already getting excited to do the hand quilting on it. I think I might do the quilting with light blue thread.
I am planning to finish the Fantasy garden top today
It is still really cold here! (4 degrees, 4ºF = -15.556ºC, and the windchill is -15, -15ºF = -26.111ºC) Here is what my weather app says: Hazardous Weather…
*wind Chill Readings Will Occasionally Reach 15 To 20 Below Zero This Morning.
* Frostbite Can Occur On Exposed Skin In Less Than 30 Minutes.
Sounds like quilting weather