More Applique

I did a little more work on the vintage applique quilt kit.

Here is one corner

The kit instructions included a list of DMC embroidery floss to use for the applique.   The instructions were to use one strand of floss to do the applique with a blind stitch.   I decided to use 2 strands and use a button-hole stitch.

It is difficult to turn the edges under and stitch the piece down with a button-hole stitch, but I don’t like to do raw edge applique so I am turning the edges under and basting them first.

The pieces are all numbered and the top has a numbered diagram as well…..so it is easy to find where the pieces need to go.    This is number 5.

I am doing standard applique on the stems….the stems are bias strips that come with the kit already folded

here are some more leaves added….I take out the basting thread after the button-hole stitch is done.

A flower and a bud added

I still have a good amount to do, but it is going a lot faster than I expected and I am already getting excited to do the hand quilting on it.    I think I might do the quilting with light blue thread.

I am planning to finish the Fantasy garden top today

DSCN5370fantasy garden

It is still really cold here!  (4 degrees, 4ºF = -15.556ºC, and the windchill is -15, -15ºF = -26.111ºC)  Here is what my weather app says:   Hazardous Weather…
*wind Chill Readings Will Occasionally Reach 15 To 20 Below Zero This Morning.
Impacts…
* Frostbite Can Occur On Exposed Skin In Less Than 30 Minutes.

Sounds like quilting weather

27 thoughts on “More Applique

1. Rose in VT says:

You’re inspiring me to drag out those big floral fabrics I’ve got stashed somewhere.

2. Lisa says:

can you glue the edges of those little green leaves under? or is it faster to baste? I normally take my appliqué on business trips and work on them in the hotel during the evening.

I could glue them, but I find this faster and much less messy,(some would disagree and do beautiful work with glue) and glue makes the fabric really stiff and harder to get the needle through….

3. Dirinda says:

Tim, Your work never ceases to amaze me!

4. Barbara Wellman says:

Looks good Tim! You have really kept the vintage feel.

5. Deb says:

For someone who doesn’t like applique … Is sure doing a lovely job of it!
    Those are some cold digits ! Brrrrr!!

6. Pam P says:

Hi Tim (and Teddy, too! Where’s Teddy??) I was wondering about fabric quality? I see these old kits from time to time and I’m always tempted, but worry about how well the fabrics would hold up. Do you ever run into problems, dry rot, mold, etc? Your quilt looks like it’s lots of fun to work on!

I have several of these…..this is the first one I have actually started work on…..Some from the 30’s and on to the 70’s the older kits did have better quality fabric, but from those I have none have any issues that would make them unusable. I have one from the 80’s that is a poly cotton blend fabric, I think that might be pretty tough to do the applique since poly cotton doesn’t hold a crease like cotton so turning the edges under might be tough …I might try glue on that one

7. Audrey Waite says:

I can’t fathom those cold temperatures. I just checked my outside thermometer and it says +48 degrees….brrrr. Going to check out the thrift stores and see if I can find any antique quilts. Hugs to Teddy!

8. Kathleen Campbell says:

Thanks for posting your applique stitching. It is looking good. I get a real sense of acheivement on each applique piece. It makes me happpy. I also like your Fantasy Garden. It is so bright and cheerful.

Thanks…..I am not sure how long it will take but it is a nice break for piecing and quilting….I think it would be a lot easier if it were not a full sized top…..if it were smaller block I wouldn’t be fighting as much bunched up fabric…but it is coming along and getting easier

9. Marilyn Longden says:

I will have to ditto what Kathleen Campbell says. Also applique was on my “to learn list” last year but didn’t get around to it.

10. Marie says:

Are you using your hoop when you applique? I do a fair amount of applique with some vintage kits and have never used a hoop. I do struggle sometimes with the volume of fabric when I’m working closer to the center of the quilt.

11. Samantha Glorioso says:

Just a suggestion, YLI makes a wonderful hand quilting thread that is slightly waxed, and they now make it in about 20 verigated colors. I started using them on some white whole cloth pre-marked pillow-sized
    squares (18″ square) which I am going to make 9 of and then sew into a quilt top, tho I am a little nervous about the quilt-as-you-go connecting them when I am done quilting each of them. I have never assembled one after quilting it. Wish me luck! Any tips?

I use YLI on most of my quilts, usually white of off white, I will probably use perle cotton to quilt this one.

joining quilt as you go blocks is beyond me….I have read about it but never done it…good luck 🙂

12. I really like the button hole stitch on your applque. It ‘fits’ this quilt. After seeing this kit, I might consider getting one from ebay. Sounds like you are having Alaska weather. You may need some dog booties for Teddy!

it really is Alaska weather……and I wish Teddy would wear booties, I have tried and as soon as I get one on and move to the next he has the first one off….it is a real fight

13. jean says:

when I was doing hand applique (just piecing blocks now, by machine) I would use a complimentary thread color to the piece I was adding to blind stitch it in place, THEN go back and blanket stitch it. That way if the embroidery floss ever wore out, the piece would still stay in place.

14. Bettyjo says:

I would love to have this kit! Your work is beautiful and I enjoy watching.

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )