Log Cabin Inspiration

I often use vintage and antique quilts as inspiration for new.   I had a plan for my next quilt using these fabrics.

But I changed my mind.  I was looking through files of my other quilts and I remembered two quilts that I finished a few years ago, and I was inspired to change my plan and do a variation on them.

Most quilters are familiar with the Log Cabin Block
log cabin

Here is a post about several of the log cabin quilt tops in my vintage collection. https://timquilts.com/2014/07/28/vintage-log-cabins-and-butterflies/

The block is simple.   Usually a square in the center surrounded by “logs” of increasing size, and usually light fabrics on one side and dark on the other.

Here is one of the quilts That inspired my new quilt.

2012_0821vintage-strip-quilt0002

It might not be easy to see the log cabin connection here because I had to add the large X to fix this quilt.   Here it was before

2012_0327color-color-color0001

It was made with a few strips in the center rather than a square but the “logs” were added around the center like you would a log cabin, in this case light and dark were mixed together.

I had to cut it apart to get all the extra fullness out of the center, and then add the dark blue sashing to make it work.

2012_0418quilt-flattening0007

Here is a post about how I did that https://timquilts.com/2012/07/11/flattening-a-quilt-top/

The next quilt is similar

2012_01159-27-120010

This was a real wonky mess and I did not try to fix it, I worked with the wonkiness,   Here it is before quilting.

strip before

Here is a post about how I did the quilting  https://timquilts.com/2012/09/27/fast-finish/

The was done like a log cabin but the logs were done with 3 strips sewn together

2012_0422retro-quilt-top0006

I am doing the new one with the traditional division of light and dark fabric.   First I cut the 20 fat quarters into 2 inch wide strips and kept them in 2 groups, light and dark.

I started with a 12 inch strip for the center rather than a square and then pieced as you would a standard log cabin.

I have only a small bit done, I will keep adding row after row and make a whole quilt top with one large block.

I will post more pictures as it grows.

29 thoughts on “Log Cabin Inspiration

1. helen says:

Oh, I like this log-cabin! Very original!
    Love the soft shades of the fabric and am looking forward seeing the whole quilt!
    Best wishes!

2. audrey says:

Great fabrics for a log cabin quilt! Looking forward to seeing this one.:)

3. Rose in VT says:

Neat! I just finished a one block pineapple quilt, but have never done a one block log cabin. Was concerned when I saw the first drawing as it is the style where the first log in a round has to be left partially unsewn. But relaxed when I saw that’s not how you’re piecing it…much easier the way you’re doing it…:)

4. Will look forward to seeing how this progresses. Thanks for showing your inspiration.

5. Lisa says:

This will be very nice. Your beautiful quilting will show up on this one. I can’t wait to see it.

6. Angela says:

I am liking it already. Why is it that I love this simplicity but am not able to make it like that myself? If quilting is a reflection of ourselves (as I think it is), I must like to complicate things.
    Looking forward to more of this quilt. Oh, and the wonky one is lovely, too.
    Scratch Teddy’s ears for me, please.

I do agree….is is a reflection of ourselves, but like ourselves it changes, Lately I am really more drawn to the simple, But before that it was very elaborate that interested me more. I expect that will change again

I like the directional texture the print adds to this. Additional subtle but real dimension. Very cool.

8. bermudagirl says:

Really love the fabrics you’ve chosen Tim, also the quilting in the second quilt. Can’t wait to see how yours turns out!
    Jodie

9. Wow! I LoVe the variation! Make the whole quilt just by adding more strips, yes I like simple easy quick. Yes, I’m going to be giving this one a try! Thanks for the tutorial! LoVe the fabric you are using too.
    Have a great day. Hugs Marg.

10. Pam G. says:

Log Cabin designs are my favorite! I did a large l.c. block for a color challenge in my quilt group & ended up sending it to the quilt show in Portland a couple of months ago (the show invited Arizona Quilt Guild as a featured state display). Your posts are such an inspiration!

11. […] top today. I started making the log cabin variation top about a month ago (see the post here https://timquilts.com/2015/01/21/log-cabin-inspiration/) .   I used Color weave 3 Fabrics From P&B Textiles. Here are some process pictures (click […]

12. Visually active and beautiful color way

13. […] finished this top a while back.  Here is a the post about the top https://timquilts.com/2015/01/21/log-cabin-inspiration/ and here is another  […]

14. DebraB. says:

I love the values and how with muted colors you create the light and dark distinction. Inspired to try as I have been working with a less subtle pallet thinking bold contrasts with primary colors were needed. Live and Learn, Thanks.

15. […] I started working on this quilt in January.   See that post here https://timquilts.com/2015/01/21/log-cabin-inspiration/ […]

16. […] I finished the Log Cabin Variation quilt.    Here is a post about making the top https://timquilts.com/2015/01/21/log-cabin-inspiration/. […]

Comments