Double Irish Chain

I have a new antique quilt top.    I date it to about 1900 based on the fabrics.   It is mostly machine pieced.

Here are 4 different ways to piece a double Irish chain.

double irish chain

The second example is how this one was done.   The 25 patch was machine pieced

and in the alternating blocks the 4 corner squares are hand appliqued as you can see here from the back.

It is mostly brown and blue. (click pictures to enlarge)

It is 74″ x 90″  and in pretty good shape, I should have no repair work to do.   I think I will use white for the backing.

Here is the Fantasy Garden progress

And the Log Cabin

I bought thread for hand quilting the applique quilt.

blue perleDSCN5433

The top is almost done and I have a white backing and cotton batting for it.

Teddy is watching with anticipation to see which I work on next.

24 thoughts on “Double Irish Chain

1. Patrick Campbell says:

I’d like to see the hand quilting on the appliqued piece when it’s done.

I’m thinking about buying some wool for trapunto but don’t know where to go. I found a 100% bulky wool on line at knitpicks and was wondering if I can use that.
    Patrick

2. Anne Kasten says:

what is the blue thread you are using? obviously cotton. lightweight crochet thread? doesn’t look like perle cotton. and what size needle are you using?

I cant believe how much work you do! it is all so wonderful and you are such an inspiration.

3. helen says:

Hi, Tim! Beautiful appliqué, incredible log-cabin and cute Teddy!
    Have a nice day!
    Best wishes!

It appears that Teddy is looking for the next one with HIS name on it!

5. Karen says:

I am getting ready to quilt with pearl cotton. How do you hide your beginning and ending knots?

6. katechiconi says:

Do you think the Irish chain was the work of two pairs of hands, one doing the machine piecing and the other the appliqué? It would certainly make the work go faster. I love that you’re quilting the appliqué quilt in blue, it’s going to be outstanding.

Ooooh, I saw that one, thought it was striking — glad it came home to you.

8. Judy Dietrich says:

Really like your “new” quilt top purchase. This is a great design & was used often in this era. Your appliqué top is so pretty & will be interested in the quilting with blue thread. I imagine you will add more quilting than the suggested lines that are printed!! That Teddy has so many expressions, I wish he could talk!!

9. Deb says:

I dreamed about your new applique quilt, that it was quilted with more flowers added to the background around the container. I have the strangest dreams some times. LoL

10. Lorij says:

They are all very pretty. Teddy looks like he’s ready for you to ask for his help:).

11. Tracey says:

The blue quilting thread close-up picture looks so cool. Teddy is precious. Thanks for posting the double Irish chain. My future daughter-in-law is Irish and I’m contemplating an Irish chain quilt for her. Contemplating, since I’m not sure she would appreciate…….

12. Kathy says:

Hello, Tim, long time “lurker” here. I just LOVE to check in often and see what you and Teddy are up to. You get more done in a week than I get done in 6 months. I have learned so much from you, I just HAD to let you know how much I appreciate you!

13. bermudagirl says:

Hi Tim,
    lovely Irish chain you bought there, can’t wait to see what you do with the quilting!

Comments