Finished Applique and a new antique

I finished the Applique  on the kit quilt

here is the package it came in.

DSCN5261 DSCN5260

I will quilt it with #8 perle cotton thread

blue perle

This is an enlarged picture….the real thing is much thinner.

I want to make it my own so the colored thread will set it apart, and I will likely do much more quilting than the pattern calls for.

I got a new Antique quilt top.

As with most quilt patterns it has many names.   Sterns and Foster (Mountain Mist) called it Homespun in their pattern (Pattern #34 in the Mountain mist Series)
homespun

It is often called Burgoyne Surrounded, The design commemorated the Battle of Saratoga.  Where British General John Burgoyne was surrounded and surrendered on October 17, 1777.

Here is an example from about 1900.

burgoyne

Mine is a bit of a mess.

As you can see it needs pressing.  I will see if that does the trick to flatten it out.

It was unfortunately machine washed, and that is always a bad idea for an unquilted top.  It causes a lot of distortion and it also causes a lot of fabric loss at the seam allowances

The fabrics are white with blue dots, and pale orange with a small pattern

after I trim off all the extra threads, and give it a good pressing I will decide what to do next.   If it doesn’t have any major problems like opening seams , or very large bumps, I can probably hand quilt it as it is.   It was made to fit around bed posts, see the cut out corners at the foot. .

I think I will keep it that way.   If I do need to make any repairs I could remove the extra at the foot and use those blocks to repair the others since I know I would not be able to match the fabric any other way.   If I took the foot piece off the finished quilt would be 75 inches square, with an added border I could make it larger.

I plan to finish a few of the works in progress before I start anything new……will see if I can stick to that 😉

30 thoughts on “Finished Applique and a new antique

1. Cathi says:

Those old quilt kits are fascinating to me — love the one you finished! And I adore the new antique top you’ve got – there’s something about two-fabric quilts that I never get tired of. And that pattern is wonderful!

thanks Cathi!……I have always loved the old kit quilts, this is the first one I finished…..now that I did I think I will finish a few more of them….I think I have 4 or 5 or 6 more…..
      2 color quilts I have also always loved, something about the simplicity of just 2 colors really sets off the pattern

2. Jaye says:

Love how the two fabrics play off each other. Hope the quilting smooths it out.

3. Rose in VT says:

The applique top looks wonderful. I was wondering if you’d consider using one of your pieced tops as the backing for it. I ‘found’ in my stash a premarked wholecloth top I got at the Smithsonian over 20 years ago, and pieced some simple large blocks the same size. I’ve been hand quilting it lately and it’s been fun. I’ll have a truly reversible quilt when done.
    Considering some of the other tops you’ve turned into wonders I’m sure you’ll do something fantastic with your latest acquisition!
    Atticus wants Teddy to stop sending the snow this way…

I will use a plain white backing, it will look like a whole cloth quilt on the back so still reversible. Teddy is ready for spring and so am I……ice and snow get old pretty fast…stay warn 🙂

4. Renie Levecchia says:

Thanks Tim. I always enjoy seeing the “oldies but goodies”. Good Luck with it

5. Raquel Shelton says:

I love your blog,and the beautiful work you do. I like the look of perle cotton for hand quilting However I have not found a needle that I can work with. I’d be interested to know what kind of needle you use. I have been trying to work with #8 perle.
    Thanks,
    Raquel

6. Sandy says:

The appliquéd quilt kit turned out beautifully. The uncluttered simplicity of the design is so attractive. Looking forward to seeing how you will hand quilt it.
    You have such interesting projects, especially the older antique tops you are saving.

7. audrey says:

Great job on the applique! Can’t wait to see it quilted as that adds so much texture and dimension. Love the look of the second quilt too. It will look stunning quilted I’m sure.

8. Dirinda says:

Your appliqued quilt is just lovely Tim! As always will be waiting to see it finished and Teddy sitting on it 🙂

9. Neame says:

What a good idea to quilt this with something other than white thread. Your choice will certainly add to the design of the quilt and once done – another beauty!

Seems more people are doing “big stitch” quilting. I like it. I like how it looks and I like how it makes the quilt feel. I’m betting there are more than a few treasured family quilts out there with this same type of quilting done long before it was labeled “big stitch”.

Thanks for sharing.

I bet you are right…..It seems like there is nothing really truly new, just new names for things that have been done for years…..similar to quilt patterns, so many are the same from year to year, but they get a new name and come back as the new thing

10. Deb says:

Nice work on the appliqué ! The fabric is really pretty in the old quilt! Great find.

11. bermudagirl says:

The appliqué looks great Tim good work. Love the pattern of your new quilt top. You seem to buy quilt tops like fabric!! Unbelievable!

12. Jo le Cheminant says:

It seems you like a challenge! This one will keep you busy.Good luck with it.

13. Margaret Gross says:

I have been fascinated with the Surround the Burgoyne, since 1982, when I first saw a picture of one in dark blue and white. I could never decide which two colors to use to make one. Finally, in 2013, I saw one made with scappy colors and was inspired to start piecing. I machine pieced and hand quilted and it finally graced our bed New Years weekend 2015. Love your work with the antique tops. Thanks for the inspiration!

14. Rosalie Roberts says:

I love your blog. Everything you do is so interesting and informative. Love the applique quilt. wish I would find one of those. I am just finishing up a cross-stitch Paragon pattern Baltimore that I had bought years ago. Just have one border to finish and off to the quilter since I can’t do the hand quilting any more. But my first love is applique. Would be so fun to try on of those. My Aunt used to do those but I didn’t learn applique until about 15 years ago. And the Burgoyne quilt fabric is incredible. Amazes me that some people have to shove everything into the washer and think that will solve everything. Hope it will be OK when you iron it. It is beautiful. Thanks for another enjoyable and instructive post. Rosalie

Thanks 🙂 the applique kits still show up on eBay , some go for a lot of $ sometimes they are more reasonable ….it seems like they could sell many if they continued to make new ones …I also love the cross stitch quilts….I want to do one of them one day

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )