Vintage Dog Fabric

A new treasure came in the mail today.    A vintage quilt top.

As with many vintage tops this has some problems.

DSCN5561 DSCN5560

It will take some reworking to get it flat enough to quilt.

I have many old quilt tops with this problem

quilt volcano

This is one I fixed several years ago and is waiting to be hand quilted

2010_0113top-inventory-parts0102

I bought this one because I think it will make a great quilt once I fix it.   I also bought it because of the fabrics.   Look at the dogs (or parts of dogs) in some of the pieces. (click pictures to enlarge)

Once I get started on this I will do a step by step of how I “fix” it.

Also new today is a group of blocks

There are 2  different block designs but they do contain some of the same fabrics.  There is not enough of one block to make a full quilt.   I think that the person who made the blocks had planned to use them together in one quilt.    There is really no way to know that for sure but I think they look pretty good together.

I believe that the orange fabrics are from a kit quilt of some kind and re-purposed here.  Some of the pieces have segment of printed instructions on them.

DSCN5577 DSCN5575

I wonder what that quilt looked like.

I made some progress hand quilting the applique quilt

DSCN5582 DSCN5581

the forecast is for snow 😦

Stay warm

Happy quilting

36 thoughts on “Vintage Dog Fabric

1. Jennifer P says:

That orange fabric looks like a garment instruction, maybe a ladies blouse size 38? Interesting, nonetheless. Love the mix and match for a quilt top.

2. Ann Genaske says:

Tim, it may be you were planning to address this in a future blog, but I was wondering what causes the center buckling on these antiques? Once again, thank you for your help – and your artistry

It is mostly caused by stretching the fabric as it is sewn. the edges of those diamonds are all on the bias and if you pull as you stitch it distorts the fabric and makes for all that extra fullness, additionally the seam allowances are not always uniform which adds to the problem.

3. Deb says:

Love all the fabrics in the old top you received . One dog looks like a cousin to Teddy. The blue thread looks great on the appliqué quilt. Sorry about the snow! I have daffodils blooming so take heart ,spring’s around the corner for you.

4. Carla says:

Oh how neat to find that dog fabric. Looks almost like Teddy!

5. Jo le Cheminant says:

With the weather forecast it looks like more quilting time! I love the old fabrics in your vintage quilt.

Another great vintage quilt top! Do my eyes deceive me, or is it oblong, a star pattern morphed for a twin-sized top? Very cool.

Another question — your quilting on the applique — you did say the lines are pre-printed, right? Or is this the pattern you have chosen (chosen by the quilt, conveyed to you)? It looks quite nifty — I would be a little surprised if it were according to the kit, less surprised if the quilt top whispered to you.

the top is about 70 x 90….it is sort of unusual to me ….they do tend to be square.

The quilting design is pre printed and since I know that those pre printed dots for quilting do not ever wash out as they should I am following the pattern they set. so they dots wont show. after all that is done I will likely add some of my own to it but I want to get all the pre marked quilting in it first and see what I have to work with

7. annetisell says:

Good lord !is that Teddy ‘s ancestor I see!Beautiful challenge Tim!

8. Angela says:

What did Teddy say to that old top? I bet he was happy, moving his little tail and wanting to shake paws with all his relatives. He is probably thinking that quilt will be his. I agree with him.
    Your concept of “some progress” is not the same as mine. You made a lot of progress! Take care of yourself.

9. gardnerpam6 says:

I love the dog fabric top. I’ll be interested to see how you straighten it out.

10. Glennis Salls says:

I really like the dog fabric and I was so happy when I read that you will demonstrate how to correct the misfit of the fabric. I have had this pointed mistakehappen to me and have seen it when others piece quilts. I look forward to learning the lesson.

11. Sandra B says:

The “new” vintage quilt top is great….love the fabrics…can’t wait to see a picture of Teddy sitting on it!
    The quilting on the appliqué quilt looks great….the straight lines really complement the appliqué work. And I know you will add some additions of your own as well…
    The new blocks are very interesting…I know you will work your magic and turn them into another great quilt!

12. katechiconi says:

I shall be interested to see how you fix the star quilt. I have one I’ve abandoned part way through because everything was slowly becoming banana-shaped and it was clear it would be very hard to straighten. So I’ll be looking out for the class from the Latimer Quilt Doctor!

13. audrey says:

Wonderful vintage fabric! Another great find for you.:)

14. christina van gelder says:

What a beautiful new quilttops you got. Can’t wait to see them finised!

15. Rosalie Roberts says:

Your blogs are so informative and fun. I just love when I see them come on my screen. The appliqué quilt is so beautiful. The one with the volcano in the middle, I am anxious to see how you handle that. And the mixed blocks in the same fabrics is so interesting. Just love your work. Keep warm. Here in Idaho we have had hardly any snow, it is 39′ overcast and feels cold. Just wish it would snow or get on with spring. Thanks for all your inspiration. I just spotted the Latimer Quilt Doctor. I will be waiting as well.

16. civilwarlady says:

Oh, my, gosh: that vintage dog print fabric is out of this world! I will have to be on the lookout for it.

17. Lorij says:

Tim it’s possible that if you send a photo of the fabric to Mary Jo’s Fabrics in Gastonia, NC, they may be able to find it, or one close to it. They have a Web site also and a toll free number. Some of the fabric catalogs have vintage fabrics and you may be able to find it in one of them.
    I’m back in CA at my daughter’s. I noticed yesterday that her geraniums are blooming and the trees down the street are budding too. I’m not in southern California either. So, maybe you all will soon have spring, stay warm. And good luck finding your fabric.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )