Animals We Love

I started a new quilt today.  I don’t really need a new project but this one is special.    It is for Animals We Love, the 9th Annual Quilt Alliance Contest

Quilt Alliance is a nonprofit 501c3 organization established in 1993 whose mission is to document, preserve, and share our American quilt heritage by collecting the rich stories that historic and contemporary quilts, and their makers, tell about our nation’s diverse peoples and their communities.

In support of this mission, the Alliance brings together quilt makers and designers, the quilt industry, quilt scholars and teachers, and quilt collectors to further the following goals:

• to promote the understanding of the quilt as an important American grassroots art form
  • to make information about quilts available to a broad public
  • to educate Americans about the importance of documenting quilts and quiltmakers so that their stories will not be lost

I am a big fan of all they do for quilting and I really love the theme for this year’s quilt contest

The theme is “Animals We Love”  and quilts are to be 16 inches square.    Here is more information http://www.allianceforamericanquilts.org/projects/galleries/Animals%20We%20Love/guidelines/

Of course I have to make a Teddy quilt.   I have plans to some day make a big whole cloth with Teddy as the subject, but for this little quilt I don’t think it would work so I am doing embroidery.

First I marked off 16 inches square and then drew the picture

Then I went over it with a black marker to darken it

I need to dark because to transfer it to the fabric I place the fabric on top and trace, the dark lines show through the fabric.

I tried it on a blotchy fabric to see how it looks

It is hard to see the lines in the picture but they are there.  I decided that plain white was better. (but I will probably finish both)

I started the embroidery

When I finish that I will hand quilt it. I might need to add a bandana applique.

Teddy is watching the progress

40 thoughts on “Animals We Love

1. Kate says:

Definitely, add the bandana. Won’t be Teddy without it!

2. Cheryl says:

Love it! Can hardly wait to see more. Teddy looks
    Ike he is really inspecting this. He has a vested interest in it!

3. Mrs. Plum says:

Oh, Tim, your new quilt absolutely needs an appliquéd bandana!

4. Gaye Ingram says:

And Teddy takes it all in stride, of course. 🙂

5. Oh, what fun! Teddy looks splendid against those wonderful colours!

6. Teresa says:

He is so cute. Yes applique is totally necessary for Teddy. — They are so much a part of our lives. My PUG is cuddled next to me under a quilt that I am putting the binding on. Warm toasty & close. Thanks for sharing. –

7. Deb says:

How delightful, can’t wait to see it finished!:)

8. Dirinda says:

I can’t let Gracie see this page or she’ll think I should make her one too.
    It’s adorable!

9. kathi says:

absolutely adorable– just like the original. Looking froward to seeing the finished work and I’m sure Teddy is as well. A fitting tribute to a very special boy!

10. glendajean says:

Hi Tim & Teddy, it sure is a great likeness of you Teddy, I would know straight away it was you if I saw it in a gallery. Thanks so much for caring so much about our old quilts Tim; also been a lover and restorer of trying to stop old quilts been dumped I appreciate all you do ; difference between us is I restore one over a couple of years where you do dozens each year and that makes me so happy. Cheers Glenda

Teddy knows it’s for him!

12. Ángela says:

I love that dog and I see in the photos the love you feel for him, Tim. Teddy and Tim, you deserve a big award.

13. Patty Gal says:

Does Teddy have any idea how famous he has become? I love the bandanna idea. It’s going to be like a little whole cloth quilt, an embroidered quilt and an applique quilt — all in one! Can’t wait to see the finished piece.

I am not sure if he knows or not…..sometimes I think he does the way he likes to pose for the camera…and other times I think he is just a normal dog who just wants to play and doesn’t know that he has so many admirers

14. Cathy McIntee says:

Tim, This is going to be a great quilt for a terrific cause!

15. Andrea says:

Teddy is such a well-dressed gent; I can’t imagine his portrait without his clothes. I’m not sure if he’s a grudge holder or not, but I wouldn’t risk his disapproval if I were you. 😀

I really enjoy your work, Tim. Thanks for sharing all the process pics!

16. Sandra Styve says:

I love the idea of your teddy quilt. You are so awsome in wnat you do. Now I want to pick your mind. You said you don’t use anyting under the quilt when you quilt and you also said the needle never touches your finger. Is it possible that you could film how you hold your finger under the quilt. I need to see your technique . I am always interested in how people do their any kind of work in crafting so I know how it is done so I try all and then I find out to try it myself. That is how I have learned to do hoobies myself. I am a self taught quilter, a machine knitter, a croceter , and quit a few other hand work and sewer. Thanks

17. Marcia Ahlbrand says:

What a great idea … and, of course add the bandana!

18. Rose in VT says:

You just might have inspired me to make a quilt for them also! I clicked over to their site, and the deadline scares me a bit, but of course wouldn’t be a problem for you. Teddy looks like he’s enjoying the process.

19. […] (see post here) I posted about a new quilt I am doing for the Quilt Alliance .   The theme for the contest is […]

20. Lindsay Pavel says:

The photo of Teddy holding his bone on your quilt as you quilt it is one of your finest. I have seen the quilt before, but never did it look so beautiful as in this photo: bright, three dimensional, and enhanced by Teddy. For me, the scene evokes peace, beauty, a blessed world. You and Teddy are lucky to have one another. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks….that was pictures is a good representation of what Teddy does while I quilt…..usually when I get the camera out he gets up and follows me around but this time he stayed in his spot on the quilt

21. […] Here is the post about how I drew it out and got started with the embroidery https://timquilts.com/2015/02/13/animals-we-love/ […]

Comments