Cartoon Teddy Quilt Finished

I finished the quilting on the Cartoon Teddy quilt for the Quilt Alliance contest.   This is how I imagine Teddy would look if he were to be a cartoon character.

Here it is before binding

I used a very thick poly batting to give him some definition, it shows better on the back.

I used the same fabric for the binding as I did for his bandanna

And gray for the backing

Here is the post about how I drew it out and got started with the embroidery https://timquilts.com/2015/02/13/animals-we-love/

and here is the post about the quilting https://timquilts.com/2015/02/14/quilting-teddy/

I am going to have to make another so I have one to keep because all entries become a donation to the Quilt Alliance, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and after a national exhibition tour, will be auctioned to benefit the mission of the organization.

I did draw out another on a different fabric and I think I will finish that one to keep.

Teddy almost always has a bandanna on, here he is yesterday.

Last night it came untied and I didn’t notice it was missing until I looked at the pictures.

Here he is proudly posing with the finished quilt.

He has his ears down in the picture, but often his ears are up, like in the quilt, when he is listening or thinking.

teddy-ears

I still need to add a hanging sleeve and label but that will wait until tomorrow .

Now back to work on some of the quilts in the big pile 🙂

Happy quilting

66 thoughts on “Cartoon Teddy Quilt Finished

Brilliant, as always! Just don’t let Teddy see you put that quilt in the mail!

2. Cathie King says:

You 2 are quite the team! Nice work both of you.

3. Sharron K. Evans says:

How I wish you weren’t so well known. This is going to be such a popular item I’m sure I won’t be able to afford it in the auction. I just love Teddy and your quilting abilities are just amazing!

4. In the first photo I can see Teddy thinking….do I really look like that?
    I look forward to seeing the second one too!

5. Deb says:

Teddy is cute in the cartoon and in real life ! Love it when his ears are perked up. Great job !!

6. Renie Levecchia says:

Good Job, Tim. And thanks. Such an enjoyable blog! Renie

7. you are extremely talented and I love your ‘muse’ 😉

8. Sandy says:

Fantastique! Hi Teddy, you’re amazing too!

9. Cheryl says:

Puppy LOVE! I think with one ear up and one ear down, Teddy is only half listening. I have been married almost 47 years. I know the look! The quilt is a work of art. I am admiration gob-smacked!

10. katechiconi says:

The quilting is perfect to make your cartoon Teddy pop out of the background. It’s a wonderful, cute piece of work, and just right for its intended use.

11. Helenanne Judisch says:

What a wonderful quilt. The real live Teddy is probably one of the only things in the world cuter than Cartoon Teddy.
    You are so very talented and have developed such a high level of skill. Thank you for sharing your inspirational work so freely with us.

12. dawn says:

This is just adorable! I almost love the back more than the front. Either side is just too cute!

13. David says:

Exceptional on so many levels!

14. Nancy says:

You two are the most talented team! I so enjoy reading every post. Thanks for sharing. Love the bright GFG backdrop.

15. Jane says:

This is just adorable! Good thing I’m reading this on my phone, otherwise my schnauzer would be getting jealous.

16. Marilyn says:

Absolutely lovely, Tim! Teddy certainly looks dashing in the quilt, I am sure it will be a popular piece during the auction. Are you experiencing the deep freeze too? Brrrrr,,, better find another bandana for Teddy!

17. Martyne says:

Tim, that is such a cool Teddy quilt! Your talent never ceases to amaze me!

18. Mrs. Plum says:

I was so hoping you had enough bandana fabric for the binding! Your quilt, and the real Teddy look terrific.

19. Kris Dauth says:

Your work just amazes me! How you get so much done in such a short amount of time. This quilt of Teddy is going to fetch a good sum of money. Please do let us know what it brings.

20. Dawn Cooper says:

For your initial drawing, did you do a line drawing from an enlarged photo, or did you draw the cartoon freehand? You really have captured the expressive face of the real Teddy.
    Dawn

I measured out a 16 inch square on the paper to get the size I wanted and then just drew it …I did a lot of drawing when I was a kid so I have had a lot of practice

21. Too Cute! I like the diagonal quilting. Perfect!

22. Jo le Cheminant says:

Hi is certainly a very cute dog and your cartoon quilt is fantastic!

23. Karen says:

I think I will try a similar technique for my Eli, my white mini Schnauzer and focus just on his face. Did you see the news coverage of the white mini Schnauzer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa that tracked down her “mom” 15 blocks away in the hospital. Google it if you haven’t seen it.

24. Neame says:

I do not live with any animals myself, but I know many who do and the love is remarkable. One friend, seeing any four legged walker, brings the auto to a screeching halt, leaps out, and converses with them. I see the same devotion to your Teddy. It leaps off the quilt and your blog. The quilt is a winner and I look forward to hearing what it garners in the auction.

25. Deirdre McConathy says:

I was thinking about the version you will make for yourself and suggest that rather than applique one bandanna on you somehow adapt/engineer the design so that you can interchange bandannas as the seasons or groomer’s latest change. Small dots of velcro? A collar to thread through slits that then snaps or buttons? A few quick hand stitches? It would be so fun, and so Teddy to change it up on occasion.

26. Carla says:

Love the way it turned out and the poly batting worked well!

Thanks….I am not usually a big poly fan but it worked well for this….it was so thick I was worried I wouldn’t be able to get decent stitches but it was actually easier than some cotton I have used

27. jean says:

Love your quilt! And love a pet who poses! My dogs were acting as if being punished if I tried to pose them on a log or whatever. My attitude at that time may have been a problem.

28. Janice says:

Another great job, Tim! I am always amazed at how fast you can finish a quilt. It would have taken me a week just to transfer the pattern! A very lovely tribute to Teddy!

29. Rebecca says:

Do you think Teddy realises that the quilt is of him?

30. Martha Caterino says:

I wish that I had a thimbleful of your productivity.
    What fun you have!

31. Phillip Steiner says:

Teddy is so lucky to own you! How I enjoy your work!

Your quilt has inspired my imagination to see Teddy as a cartoon superhero fighting criminal squirrels, digging up buried secrets in the garden beds, and holding an inquisition where he licks the face of the perpetrator until the criminal comes forth with the truth.

… but in my heart, Teddy will always be stalwartly posing beside one of your beautiful creations.

Thank you for sharing Teddy with us.

32. Patricia Mc says:

This is amazing and so is Teddy!! I have a Panzer, she looks just like Teddy. Aren’t these dogs amazing? I love, love, love your stitching.
    Thanks for the inspiration!!

Comments