String Pieced Melons

I have a new pile of vintage blocks.   They are string pieced melons, And were foundation pieced on newspaper.  The newspaper has been removed but I can still see traces of it.

DSCN5699 DSCN5698

They are in need of a pressing but are in great shape.

I have no way of knowing exactly how the maker intended to use them but I imagine that they were to be used in melon patch blocks.

melon patch
If I set them on a black background the colors brighten up

I think red would be great as well as black and many other colors.  Teddy likes it with black.

I have enough for a full-sized quilt.   I will need to make a template for the setting pieces and look at my fabric stash to see what I have enough of.

When I was working on the Teddy Quilt I started one on a mottled fabric.

I worked on that one the last few days

DSCN5685 DSCN5692

I didn’t want them to be the same so I made some changes to the drawing and did not add a bandanna to this one.   I used black YLI hand quilting thread on this. I used the same binding fabric as the last one

and cream-colored backing

here the Two are side by side

2 teddys

Here are a few others I am working on (click pictures to enlarge)

48 thoughts on “String Pieced Melons

1. Carla says:

Great find on those melons. All of the hard work has been done. Removing the paper is always so boring! Love your second Schnauzer even more than the first if that is possible.

2. Jan Smith says:

The large scale of your string pieced melons make them so fun.
    I’m crazy for the Teddy quilt. What talent!

3. lorieast says:

Fun stuff!

4. lilquilter says:

I love scrap and string quilts so I think those melons are great – can’t wait to see your finished product! I really like the black background but I’ll bet the red would be great too.

Your Teddy quilts are awesome, too! When I saw the mottled one, at first thought I would have used it with the stripes running horizontally, but after seeing the embroidered and quilted photo, I think the placement of the vertical stripes work perfectly with the dog’s image.

It’s so much fun seeing your varied projects – you have so many different quilting interests. I do, too – I think I would be bored making the same kinds of quilts all the time.

Keep warm and quilt on!
    LK

5. How about using them for centers for a double wedding ring quilt with the rings being the red??

6. Ginney Camden says:

My first glance at that mottled fabric I didn’t think I liked it but the finished Teddy looks great on it! I like both fabrics equally well.

7. Jaye says:

Teddy is right – definitely black for the melon patches. It’s the perfect foil for all those wonderful prints.

8. gardnerpam6 says:

you are a marvel. I am quite new to quilting and in terror of paper piecing. Any easy way You could explain it? You seem to make things easy to understand and not too “fussy”.

9. Mimi says:

What about navy? it would give stand out without clashing reds!

10. Sandra B says:

Awesome melon blocks! I really like them with the black background, but red sounds like a great contender as well….anxious to see what you decide to use. Teddy looks handsome as ever!
    I really like the second Teddy quilt! The mottled fabric seems to add another dimension to the quilt.

11. Joy Avery says:

Teddy enhances all fabrics, he’s adorable! I like the black background, very striking. Red could look playful…depends on the mood desired.

12. Marilyn Schambach says:

I’m with Teddy–black!

13. Kathi says:

Love your “melon” find and how you are making them a forever place to show themselves off… I would love to know what type of thread and how much of it you used on embroidering Teddy. Thanks for any assistance 🙂 Kathi

14. Gai Haines says:

I’m with Teddy, I like the black.

15. Rose in VT says:

All the Teddy’s look great! And so do the melons.

16. Ángela says:

Tim, listen to Teddy, he knows stuff.
    After looking at all the work you feature in this post, I am exhausted. Ready for a siesta.

17. Deb says:

I love those Teddy mini quilts! The string blocks are neat, and I agree with Teddy ,the black makes the colors pop! Love watching your work. 🙂

That look in Teddy’s eyes — the position of the ears — very clear analysis and approval. Black is a very good option. Of course, you could present him with a variety and see which one he chooses…..the one closest to the camera.

19. Donna K says:

Oh my, I was glad to be able to zoom in and get a closer look at those melon fabrics. They are wonderful fabrics. Such a find for you.
    Zooming in on the quilting on the appliqué quilt was such a treat also. I love your quilting treatment on it. You are awesome!

You are getting way too popular as a blogger. I had to scroll down to make this comment. There were 35 before me. So glad you are able to share with all of us. Thanks.

20. audrey says:

Great looking string melons! Should be a fun project. The Teddy quilts are coming along so wonderfully! What a honor for him.:)

21. Chris says:

Love your “new” melon quilt project. Wouldn’t have thought of black but love how it works! Your Teddy quilts really capture his sweet personality too. Have a great weekend.

22. Judy says:

You give me all kinds of ideas for old blocks I have!! Thanks for your blog!

23. Lorij says:

I really like the one with all the colors. It looks happy. The applique one is very pretty. The tan Teddy one is just wonderful. I like that it looks real. The black and white one is nice too, but my preference is the tan one.

24. Susan says:

I like your Teddy quilts. You seem very prolific and varied in your interests.

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )