Melon Piecing

I started putting together the melon blocks.   The first thing I needed to do is make a pattern.    All of the melons were slightly different and I needed to get them all to the same size so that once pieced the blocks would lay flat.   Here is the template I came up with placed on top of one of the melons.

you can see that it needs trimming. Some of the melons are more off then this and some are nearly perfect size.

I trace around the template to see what I have to trim.

The other part of the template is traced onto the black fabric using a white clover pen.

When I cut out the pieces I end up with another set of melon pieces formed by the space between the 2 arcs.   I will make those into a quilt as well.

I hand pieced the first block.   I might try the next one on the machine.

The quilt will be 3 blocks x 4 blocks (60′ x 80″) and I will probably add a border.    If I copy and paste a picture of the one finished block several times I can get an idea of what the finished top will look like.

Untitled

I didn’t get this lined up exactly but you get the idea of how it will look.  I will hand quilt this but I wont know what pattern I will use until I get it in the hoop.

40 thoughts on “Melon Piecing

1. Deb says:

So to get the pattern that you wanted , did you start out with a square piece of template paper ,first draw the melons in the square . Then the inside center piece and outside pieces that will be black were left and the correct size ? It’s going to make a lovely quilt!!

I used a computer program, EQ7 because it was easier, but I have done it with paper and pencil before. Start by tracing the piece, then cut it out, then fold it in quarters to see how the edges line up (tracing an uneven piece wont make a good template) trim it even…..then unfold and that is the template for the melon, then trace another and cut it removing 1/4 inch from all sides for the seam allowances. then trace it on a square…..then use that line to get the corner pieces adding 1/4 inch to all sides of that

2. Pam G says:

So creative! Can’t wait to see the finished project.

3. Ann in PA says:

Great job with the templates! I love how the black makes all the other colors Pop. It will be stunning when finished.

4. I hope you’ll update about the hand quilting pattern you select! This is beautiful!

5. Judy P. says:

This is going to look “fahbulous, darling” (as Billy Crystal would say). There is something so wonderful about using long-forgotten orphans and making their lives complete. Kudos.

6. Mary says:

I really like this which is surprising since I was ho-hum when you showed the purchase. A couple questions: What is the size of the melon or the block size with all four melons? Did you try other backgrounds or instintively go with black? Where or where is Teddy? I think you should make a 365 day calendar with all photos of Teddy on your quilts. I’d buy it! In another post would you show the quilt that’s behind melon block? Thanks!

The finished block with all 4 segments is 20 inches , I did initially plan black but did try a few others, they actually looked really good on dark brown ….and Navy, I went back to black because I had the fabric on hand and it was the brightest. Teddy was taking a nap when I had the camera out today. The quilt behind the melon is on the schedule for the next post…so check back tomorrow 😉

I can’t wait to see how you quilt it! very cool!

8. Penny J says:

Wow! You seem to get so much accomplished and they are all beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

9. Rose in VT says:

Now Tim: I Know that you know using up that second set of melons created on the black, will create Another set of melons in a presumably lighter fabric. That is how it all starts…or started, for many of us. LOL
    Teddy needed his rest today, give him an extra pat on the head from
    me.

10. Nancy in Naperville says:

Love, love the melon quilt in its proposed form. Just a great idea of what I can do with all my strips!

Thanks….I think I might start saving more of my scraps to do another….I usually toss my scraps ….which i know drives people crazy…..but I always figure I have to much to do already….but this might change my mind

11. Cathy McIntee says:

Tim, this is going to be phenomenal!

12. Karen says:

Choosing a black background will make a very contemporary looking quilt. The colors really pop! I like it a lot.

13. Vicky F says:

Hi Tim, This may be stating the obvious, but it looks like Easter eggs to me. You know, the fancy ones (pysanki?). Anyway, looks great!

14. audrey says:

Very striking on the black! This is going to be amazing.:)

15. Ann says:

I especially like how the melons’ strips are pieced at an angle, not perpendicular to the long axis. It’s so much more interesting. Thanks.

16. Sabina says:

I have strips leftover from a log cabin quilt wondering how I could use them so they don’t just end up in a bin. Now I know what project I can start to use them up. I appreciate how generous you are with your ideas. I always learn something new when reading your blog.

17. Maryse says:

This is a good idea, I like this very much. I could turn some scraps into melons …

18. Susan says:

I love this pattern, and the stringy melon pieces. Great way to use those. I also love that you are using the black melons. A friend showed me your blog post on the 70s quilts (I loved the term play quilts!) and, having quilted through those years, I have to agree with everything you said. =)

19. Lorij says:

Tim, this reminds me of the kaliadescopes that we used to look at when we were children. It may have been before your time. But there wars this can and it had colors inside, when you shook it and looked inside each time there was a different pattern. They were beautiful.
    The black background makes it really striking. Are you going to do a solid binding or one with stripes?

Comments