Vintage Log Cabin

Yesterday I posted pictures of the log cabin variation top I made.

Today I have a vintage top to share.   This one is made in what is sometimes call the courthouse steps setting

block

The fabrics are from about 1900.  It is machine pieced and the strips are cut at 1.25 inches and finish at 3/4 inch.

Here are some more pictures (click to enlarge)

It is in great shape and will look great once I get it quilted.

I have mentioned before that I always wash a quilt once I have it finished.   Many people ask why.   I get them dirty when I work on them.   Here is a good example.

I spilled coffee 😦

Teddy says no problem I will just sit on that spot.

I will still wash it 🙂

29 thoughts on “Vintage Log Cabin

1. carol schoner says:

I always wash finished quilts, it makes them look like “real” quilts. And yes, I do get them dirty while I work on them. Doesn’t the red square in the middle mean fire in the hearth or something?

2. Dirinda says:

What a wonderful vintage quilt and isn’t Teddy the ever helpful buddy to sit on the coffee stain 🙂

3. Liz K says:

Do you have anything special that you do for coffee stains? Sometimes they are difficult to remove.

I must say this is my first coffee stain on white 🙂 I think I will do a pretreatment on the spot before washing…..with oxiclean. since it is only on the white and no colored fabric to worry about

4. audrey says:

The log cabin block (quilt) is one of my favorites. Your newest finish is wonderful! Hope the coffee comes out! I always wash after just because I love the crinkled look, especially with hand quilting.

5. katechiconi says:

Courthouse Steps is one that I’ll always refer to mentally as Chinese Lanterns because of the shapes it forms, particularly when the central square is dark. That’s a lovely one.

6. Ann Genaske says:

I’m so glad to see I’m not the only one! By the time I finish a quilt they are already well lived in. Crumbs, pet hair, drink spills – life! 🙂

7. Rose in VT says:

That’s a highly unusual layout for the vintage top. The lights and darks don’t lay opposite each other in the individual blocks, and it looks beautifully done. A real treasure you found.
    Give Teddy a hug for a job well done!

8. kemosabaycampground says:

Love the courthouse steps layout for the log cabin. I made one once. It is one of my favorites.

9. Kim says:

Love the quilts. I want to reproduce the second quilt you posted. GREAT! Thank you for sharing.

Ooooh, love that vintage quilt top! It’s got a bit of vibrato, movement going on with the lay of the plaids and the very unusual, as noted by Rose, light and dark layout. Yum, yum, yum, I just could eat that up.

And yet another proactive solution on the part of Mr. Teddy. He does work to expand his role, doesn’t he?

the only problem with the top is that it is only 54 x74 ….cant decide if I add a border to make it larger or keep it as is and call it a throw quilt

• Kristen says:

Yes, that’s true, it’s a singleton — no way to replicate fabrics/pattern to enlarge, and it’s a question whether wide sashing for a border might make it static, tamp down the energy. Maybe, maybe not. Hmm…you’ll have to listen very closely to it to hear what it wants.

I think you are right…..it is not talking yet….so I will wait

11. bermudagirl says:

Hi Tim, I have to say that vintage quilt top looks amazing!! From afar I didn’t notice it was a court house block. I agree that it does look like Chinese lanterns, such lovely fabrics. Congrats on your finished quilt top!
    Jodie

12. I am quilting a whole cloth white quilt that had coffee spilled on it. I am a slow quilter and it could take a long time to finish. Please let me know if the coffee comes out of your quilt and how you got it out. My daughter’s spilled coffee had cream and sugar in it. I don’t know if that affects the stain. All help appreciated! I read your blog almost daily and love it.

13. Sandra B says:

Love the new vintage quilt…this is a favorite pattern of mine…I have been collecting civil war fabrics for a while, and this would be a perfect quilt for using them…I think I have just added another one to my To Do list, but this will go on the list, near the top! I will definitely be starting this one soon…

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )