Finished Melon Patch Top

Yesterday I posted pictures of the finished blocks for the melon patch quilt.

Teddy and I decided to add a border to make it a better size.

It was 60″ x80′

Here it is after I placed the side borders .

I know that red looks like plain dots but it really has more of a pattern

To get the proportions I wanted I made the top and bottom border narrower

It is Now 80″ x 88″

I think Teddy likes it

It really looks a lot better once I erase the background.

Now it is time to find a backing.Β Β  I will look for something to match all the fabrics

Or maybe I will just use white πŸ™‚

42 thoughts on “Finished Melon Patch Top

I hope Teddy gave you a high 5! or rather high paw!
    Very nice!

2. civilwarlady says:

I am amazed at the way the red has changed the total effect of the quilt. Brilliant use of color to make the melons look their best. Huzzah, Tim.

3. Deb says:

The border really brought it all together! Lovely. Teddy looks good on it,love those ears.😊

4. Richard says:

The Melon Patch top is absolutely stunning! I am amazed at the way you were able to take a collection of rather drab, old looking patches and turn them into something exciting, beautiful and modern. Congratulations, Great Job.

5. Ann thomas says:

Oh, this quilt is awesome. I love how the red brought everything together and made the melons pop. It’s beautiful, Tim. So is Teddy. LOL

6. Sandra B says:

What an awesome border….perfect finish for the quilt top!! Cannot wait to see it all finished.

7. Jaye says:

Looks wonderful, especially with the border.

8. Emily says:

I like the blocks, I love scrappy quilts, I like the red and black. I also just love the scalloped edge! Adds more interest to an already very interesting quilt. I love it when Teddy looks so serious about having his photo taken !!

9. Rose in VT says:

Perfect border choice!

10. Rosalie Roberts says:

Tim, The melon blocks done on the black and the red Polka dot look is incredible. It is such a wonderful, bold statement. And the border is necessary, both for making the quilt a better size and giving it a framed looked. Just love what you share with us. Learn so much from you. Thanks to you and Teddy. Makes me lonesome for my Shotgun who was a Bassett Hound.

11. Kristine Bakker says:

That pretty blue by Teddy’s left foot would be a pretty backing. You do beautiful work.

Sent from my iPad

12. Mimi says:

The red back ground fabric changed the whole look of the quilt. Much more modern and FUN. The border does not really look like a “border” but like part of the quilt. You do amazing work…..and so fast…

Thanks πŸ™‚ that was the goal, I didn’t want it to look like an afterthought…so glad I had enough fabric! I know I would have a hard time finding a match for that red

13. Neame says:

Fab blocks, perfect border. Teddy is cute too.

14. Chris says:

So much to love about this! I never would have chosen black or the red dot for setting fabric – but I love both options, and both together? Inspired! And the border, with scalloped edges? Perfect!

15. katechiconi says:

Great border, complementing the melon shapes, and perfectly in period!

16. Lorij says:

It’s beautiful! I think a striped back would be pretty or a black one. Both would match the colors in the melons and the top fabrics. Teddy looks like he’s very pleased with the end result.L

17. Dirinda says:

You’ve done it again Tim! Very nice

18. Jan says:

This is one gorgeous quilt top, and I really love the border design. I’m curious — binding or knife edge?

19. Betsy Koss says:

Your Melon quilt top shows me once morewhyyou are ONTHE MAP! Tim.

20. Cheryl says:

Tim, do you have any recommendations on muslin brands especially for antique blocks? What determines a “quality ” muslin? Thank you. I have fallen in love with Teddy.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )