Xs and Os

I made progress on the next melon block top.

It will be 9 blocks 18″ each, and I will add borders.   I have lots more fabrics.

Yesterday I was asked about the back because there is so much bulk in the seams where the 4 units join.

I press the seams to the center

DSCN5829DSCN5830

here are the 4 units joined.

The same for the other blocks but different arrangement of the units

Lots of layers of fabric there in the intersection at the center.

I am really not an accurate piecer. I know I could do better but it really is not that important to me to be perfect.  For me close enough is fine.

I don’t use a fancy machine, I have a vintage Singer 301a and I love it.  The tape on the throat plate helps my seam allowance size, I don’t have a 1/4″ foot.

I am calling the quilt  Xs and Os

Here is an X

and an O

and here are all 9

Borders next, but I need to decided what I want to do with them.

Teddy is not offering an opinion, but enjoying watching the progress

Time for a piecing break.   I think I will do some hand quilting 😉

Happy quilting

29 thoughts on “Xs and Os

1. Louise Jackson says:

You always have great ideas for your leftovers…neat pattern…

2. beth says:

Hi Tim, what about a split border in red and black just like on your big log cabin top ?red on a corner and black on the other,maybe the lighter color in between them? Am loving your progress,bye from sunny Australia.

3. Kathrynn Tomlinson says:

I just love this pattern and Teddy, too!

4. Kate says:

Tic, tac, toe anyone? BIG playing field….. Another winner, Tim.

5. Martha Caterino says:

Your choices are always inspiring!

6. katechiconi says:

Teddy is actually wondering if there’s enough of the big dahlia floral to make him a nice bandanna… Spring’s coming, a dog needs a floral to be stylish!

7. Lorij says:

Don’t know about the border but, that dahlia fabric would make a gorgeous back. Then too, a Border of the black would be pretty.
    Teddy may not be offering an opinion but he’s not letting go of his bone😊.

8. Emily says:

So much movement with this layout! I love it! I keep the eye travelling around to absorb it all. I find it interesting how many layout options there are with a melon block!

9. Becky in VA says:

Love how you’re doing this quilt. I’m commenting because I especially like seeing you sew on a 301a – ME TOO. My Mother bought it new in 1954 and I learned to sew, and I’ve used it for decades. Mine is in the card table that was sold with it. I use 1/4″ guide on the throatplate and it sews wonderfully – as you know. Tell Teddy I said “Hi” – Happy Sewing.

it sure is a great machine….I think I might take it in for a good cleaning …I have no Idea how long it has been , but it still sews perfectly

• Becky in VA says:

I have never “taken it for cleaning” – it’s simple to maintain: remove the lint under the throatplate, keep it well oiled and grease the gears (removed the plate on the bottom) occasionally. Thread about an 18″ piece of dental floss through it (as if you were threading it) and gentle pull it through, without the needle). There’s not much to go wrong with such a great machine! Happy stitching!

10. Joy Griffith says:

lovely colour combo and thankyou for the inspiration. btw, do you have a template I could copy?

11. Rosalie Roberts says:

Here I am again, a broken record. Just love your work. These are so wonderful. I try to do my best as well, but some days there is a bit of a shake to the hands from the meds and this old body. Will refrain from calling you “Lady Time”! Just love your instructionals. Hello to Teddy.

12. glenda says:

Love, love , love the machine!

13. Jeanette says:

I have the same machine and love it so much. I have taken part of a stack of post it notes and with planning-taped it onto the machine to guide me exactly for the quarter inch seams. It is a god send. Much better than a quarter inch foot.
    I also love Teddy and would accept him into my life in a minute if needed….I know you love him so much.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )