It Grew

Yesterday I posted about making this quilt top

I said I would join the blocks and then add a border.

I have a hard time keeping things simple so I rotated the top and did this

Next I have to use the dreaded A word…applique

I have the pieces in place but I still need to applique them

Here is a picture of Teddy on the quilt top

It is 80 inches square.

And I think I am done once the applique is done

90 thoughts on “It Grew

1. Mrs. Plum says:

Ooh, I like the rotation and the addition of the corners, AND the appliquΓ©.akes it much more interesting.

• Marta Adair says:

The Big A word should not skeer( that’s Texas talk) a pro like you. There are too many easier ways t add cut designs to a big block. I know you will figger it out….
      Pardon me ,but I have been iced in for several days and am waiting for the final thaw of winter in Texas.

2. Linda says:

Love it – when you started I wasn’t sure if the prints went together but you have got a great eye for design.

3. Dee says:

I think this quilt is phenomenal! Great job, Tim!

4. Helen Beall says:

Bold and beautiful!

5. Ranchwife in Nebraska says:

Stunning, Tim! I think you have more creativity in your little finger than I have in my whole body! What a great way to use up those extra melons. Wonderful idea.

6. Dorothy Matheson says:

The quilt top looks great

7. Lori Loff says:

You turned an ordinary/great quilt into a spectacular quilt.

8. Deb says:

WOW!! A breath taker.

9. Sharron Evans says:

I love the way you think your patterns out. You could have just stopped at the corners but it just needed something. The applique finishes the top off perfectly.

10. Nicole says:

I think that’s a much better quilt. Very nice.

Have to hand it to you Tim — you are one creative gentleman. It also gets the Andrew seal of approval — he kept asking, “How big is it? How big is it?” Now he’ll be pining for this one as well.

12. suzette shoulders says:

Tim, you are just amazing! How nice of you to share your creative bursts with us mortal quilters! LOL! Suzette in balmy Oregon

13. Phyllis says:

Think that this may be my favorite since I started following your blog.

14. Pam says:

Awesome. Bravo!

15. glendajean says:

Hi Tim and Teddy, love love that quilt, it is amazing how a quilt changes by putting the blocks on Point. Such a simple block but smashing colours, fabrics, and designing. Thanks for sharing a very motivating quilt. Cheers Glenda Australia.

16. Love it. You took it from ordinary to extraordinary!! Good job! The on point set is Teddy approved! πŸ‘

17. Shula Mussnug says:

Wow! Just spectacular!

18. Kathi says:

The setting is just wonderful and the A…….. Is just what it needs. Of course, the addition of Teddy makes it absolutely perfect!

19. Jaye says:

Wow – what an upgrade! The new appliques are wonderful.

20. Rebecca says:

I thought it looked wonderful yesterday and was looking forward to what you would do for borders. Wow! This is just stunning! Your are really an artist with quilts!

21. Nancy says:

It’s WONDERFUL Tim. You are just so creative! I still am enamored of that red polka dot. I have to start collecting a few. πŸ™‚

22. audrey says:

Love your quilt top! Very creative additions.:)

23. Margie McFarland says:

I mostly lurk and never ever comment….but I just have to tell you that turning on point and adding the applique IS the BEST idea ever!!! I am loving this top especially since these are my colors. Good Job!!!

24. Ann thomas says:

Wow, just WOW!! What delicious looking eye candy. An outstanding creation. I really enjoy following your creative developments. Happy Quilting. Hug Teddy.

25. Ángela says:

The Power of Melons
    Melons to Power
    Tim and Teddy Put Their Melons To Work
    Tim’s Melon Orchard…
    Just a few ideas to name a striking quilt

26. Annette Johnston says:

Really love this one, Tim. Will be watching to see how you choose to quilt it. And can we please stop referring to applique as the ‘a’ word? Some of us love doing it but find it hard to convince new quilters to try it because they think its so hard. Thanks.

27. Lorij says:

It is absolutely GORGEOUS! I knew that Fabric would accent the other pieces. You’ve done an awesome job.
    Teddy knows so too😊.

28. Alex says:

Another stunning quilt. You have done a wonderful job of making the most of the prints. Clearly Teddy approves – he’s got great taste πŸ™‚

29. Mary Ann says:

Another WOW!! That is beautiful. You do such amazing work.

30. pat. skidmore says:

Hey Tim, thanks for sharing. You have inspired med me to use the fabric I have similar to your’s. Really like your design.

31. Lindsay Pavel says:

I’m very excited about this quilt. I agree with all the previous comments. This needs to be in your show and your book. Another brand new pattern by Tim, possibly the best one yet. I love how the melon shape is echoed in the chrysanthemum print. Perfect balance. So satisfying to use the available cut out melons.

32. Carolyn in Maine says:

This is a very interesting quilt! Nice that you have an enthusiastic little helper.

33. Sharon C says:

This is amazing

34. civilwarlady says:

So, I had to wait till I stopped laughing to write a comment! “It grew” seems to be part of my daily vocabulary when it comes to quilts. I have to make just one more block–to try out one more combo of fabrics–to turn it just one more time–to add one more detail. Thanks for the good start to a day. BTW: Teddy looks darling sitting on this one.

35. Dirinda says:

Again…..genius! Not to mention beautiful

36. Sandi says:

Love this!! If I lived closer I would be happy to applique’ for you…needle turn applique’ is one of my favorite things to do! Love your ideas.

37. jrp53 says:

Such a beauty! Teddy makes it even more so. Great finish, even if it’s bigger than originally planned.

38. Lilquilter says:

Tim – I absolutely love your setting and choice of fabrics and design! Once again, you have outdone yourself!

Since you have not mentioned the AQS Lancaster show lately, I’m guessing you will not be attending. I will enjoy seeing your snowflake quilt but will miss having the opportunity to meet you. Another time, perhaps!

Happy quilting!
    Lil Koster

39. adaisygarden says:

As usual, I’m so impressed! πŸ™‚
    It looks wonderful.

40. Jenny says:

Tim, I love your Quilts!!! Especially this one with the melon shapes. It is grand! I think Teddy is great too.

41. Sandra Styve says:

Your idea is amazing.how on earth did u think of this design. It out shines my meager inventive ideas for quilts. I think this is one beautiful quilt. The different fabrics go so well together. Bold color as well contrasting fabric. I could not see how they would go together when I first seen the fabrics. !, I wished I could see or vision how certain fabrics go together. Keep it up.

42. Sue Ryan says:

Tim, You’re an artist! It grew more beautiful with each addition!

Comments