Yesterday I wrote about this quilt top
I posted it to a few Facebook groups and had some comments about the design. Since I so often work on vintage or antique tops, made by someone else years ago, I don’t usually need to be concerned about the design. It is fun to make up a design myself. When I teach floral design I tell the students that 80-90% of a design’s success is based on the selection of materials. Quilting is much the same.
This quilt top stated with the previous quilt top.
Cutting out the setting pieces left me with a pile of melon shaped leftovers in solid black and red print.
starting with that I selected fabrics to go with the melon pieces.
I selected these because I wanted variety in scale of the prints and I wanted to keep it all red and white and black.
The large print (Hello Dahlia by P&B) was a great find. The shape of the petals in the print mimic the shape of the melons.
going back to what I teach in floral design; One way to create “rhythm” (visual movement) in a floral design is repetition. Visually our eyes play connect the dots looking for repeated elements of color, shape, material etc.
For the red dot fabric I selected black with red pattern. I almost used solid black but selected this because I didn’t want the center to be that visually heavy..
Solid black would have overpowered the center.
In floral design we try to use a variety of textures and scale. Think of roses and baby’s breath. The Rose is large and velvety and the baby’s breath is small and feathery, the contrast adds a lot of interest.. I selected fabrics of various scales and visual textures for the same reason.
Now for the quilt layout.
When I first posted the top I had the center 9 blocks
My plan was just a few little sketches. I do not make a fully developed pattern before I start but I do visualize in my mind how it will look.
Here are my simple sketches
The one on the post it was the first thought. I have little post it pads everywhere so I can write down ideas before they disappear.
The top left picture was next. but it would have made a quilt way larger than I wanted so I simplified the plan and that is the 3rd sketch.
I will make up a pattern when I am finished but it is very simple.
I started to get the corner pieces ready to applique. I am not a fan of needle turn so I pressed under the edges and starched
I have a tiny little iron
It helps prevent burned fingers but I find that it doesn’t do the job as well as I would like so I re press with the big iron after I get the edges turned under with the small one.
Teddy is Dressed for St Patric’s Day
His groomer always has seasonally appropriate fabric.