Log Cabin Variation Finished

I finished the Log Cabin Variation quilt.    Here is a post about making the top https://timquilts.com/2015/01/21/log-cabin-inspiration/.

Here is a post about how I marked the top for hand quilting  https://timquilts.com/2015/03/19/marking-with-a-helper/.

Here is a post about the quilting https://timquilts.com/2015/03/24/log-cabin-quilting/.  I started the hand quilting on the 24th. It is a very simple design so it went quickly.  (still over 40 hours, but relatively fast)

After I finished the hand quilting I trimmed the edges.

Here is the back.

I used brown for the binding.   Teddy wanted to help…but he was disappointed when I told him he could only watch.

After Binding was done I washed it and dried it to get out all of my pencil marks.

Washed in the machine on the gentle cycle in warm water with regular detergent with the addition of a few tablespoons of Dawn Dish washing liquid, and dried in the dryer.

The finished size is 60″ x 70″    I love the way the fabrics work together.

DSCN6021-black DSCN6020-white

50 thoughts on “Log Cabin Variation Finished

1. Ann in PA says:

Great finish! The quilting is perfect….love how you used lights and darks. Love Teddy, too! : ))))

2. Patricia says:

Beautiful quilt!!!! The Dawn is for ????

3. Jan Marriott says:

another cracker….well done Tim!

4. Deb says:

You do such beautiful work! I look forward to every post

5. Didi Salvatierra says:

Looks great! love how the concentric circles look with this!

Didi

Sent from my iPad

6. eirwin0622 says:

Love seeing beautiful hand quilting!

Awesome! On to the next one!

8. Vicki W says:

That is an awesome quilt and I love the way you quilted it!

9. katechiconi says:

It’s very beautiful. I must say, you’ve capture Teddy’s disappointed face very well, he looks very glum indeed!

10. Jan Smith says:

Oh, I just love that quilting! Teddy does look a bit miffed, though. If he only had opposable thumbs.

11. Ann Thomas says:

Another simple masterpiece. I love seeing your work. Looking forward to the next series of pics. Hi, Teddy.

12. Oh, this is so beautiful! The quilting is just fantastic, so simple but what an impact!…what do you do with all the quilts you make?

13. Sandra B says:

What a stunning quilt! I just love it! Once again, you have worked your magic for a great finish….I hope you will never stop sharing all these projects…they are such an inspiration! Cannot wait to see what you do next…Good to see Teddy today. I missed him in the previous post.

14. Lorij says:

Love it. It just says Tim quilted me! Teddy looks a little put out😊.
    Went to a quilt show on Saturday. It was in Auburn, CA. There were lots of pretty quilts but, there were only about 5 or 6 hand quilted pieces. Even though the machine quilted ones were pretty they were not as beautiful to me as the hand done ones. They just seemed to have more personality than the machine quilted ones.
    I sure hope that in the rush to hurry and get things done those who judge quilts won’t forget to be fair in judging hand made quilts. Especially since that’s how machine quilted ones got their start. There should ALWAYS BE A SEPARATE CATEGORY specifically FOR HANDMADE Quilts. I don’t think they should be judged with the machine made ones.
    What do you think?

Mixed opinions on this, but if a judge is fair they can appreciate both and select the best based on the merits….some show the best in show if hand quilted and judges against all other categories. On the other hand since thee are so few hand quilted it narrows the field if there is a separate category and improves the chances to win something

• Lorij says:

Maybe if there continues to be hand quilted judged separately more will do hand quilting. It is an art that I pray will not be lost. Like computers have taken over many things, that seems to be happening in this art form with sewing and quilting machines. But when computers break down someone needs to have a paper copy some place in order to keep it moving till things are up and running again. It’s good to know how to hand quilt even if one prefers to use their machine.
        Your work is beautiful and, you are very gracious. Give Teddy a rub for me.

I belong to a facebook quilting group for hand quilters, we have over 10,000 members…..the art will not be lost

15. Abigail Rivers says:

I really love the quilting done on this one! It really makes a significant difference

16. Pam G. says:

Absolutely beautiful – love it! Teddy looks like he’s asking if he can use the machine.

17. Trista says:

It’s a beautiful quilt. I really thought we would be seeing it in progress for weeks, so I’m greatly impressed at your speed!

18. audrey says:

Gorgeous! I continue to be amazed at how wonderful quilts look with the proper stitching.:)

19. jean says:

RIPPLES! Love it!

20. Lindsay Pavel says:

Another unique winner! This log cabin is twice the quilt now that you’ve quilted it. Your large fan quilting pattern is so distinctive yet manages to highlight the colors and design of the fabrics! I am so amazed!

21. PATRICIA says:

Glorious

22. Cathey says:

This is amazing. I recently started reading your blog and I really appreciate seeing your work. Thanks.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )