What is my style?

I was looking at several quilts today on Facebook (The AQS show in Paducah makes for lots of pictures) and it made me think about the styles of various quilters.   I sometimes think I can identify the maker of a quilt by looking for clues in their style.

When I managed a florist I could always tell which designer made an arrangement just by looking at the style. When I got to know a designer I could always pick out their work.   Are my quilts the same?   Is there a “style” that makes them identifiable?

When I started quilting I did a lot of hand quilting of vintage and antique quilt tops. (I still do).   Since I just did the quilting and the repair I am not sure that my own signature is apparent in them , in fact I try to make it look as if the maker of the top also did the quilting.  Here are a few examples of vintage and antique tops that I have hand quilted (click pictures to enlarge)

I made this one from with an old pattern and fabric that someone else pick out and then sold. I made up the border to make it different and It was the first quilt I ever had in an AQS show.

2011_0427pineapple-washed0004

They are all pretty traditional.   But some are little more modern looking.

I also like to design my own quilts.    I made this Tree quilt early on in my quilting journey.

trees-full

Modern and Traditional.

I have also made some whole cloth quilts

And dog quilts

Some others that are my own designs

The one I am working on now is sort of modern…based on traditional design….

So is there a style?   Once thing in common is that they are all hand quilted.   I am interested in all styles of quilts, and I don’t think I will ever want to limit myself to just one.

36 thoughts on “What is my style?

1. glendajean says:

Morning Tim and Teddy, thanks for another wonderful show and tell Tim. It is wonderful to see these lovely old quilts up close and completed. What a wonderful border you added to the yellow pineapple quilt, it just keeps drawing the eye back in to the centre. it is a stunning quilt with a twist. Then to jump in to the future and see your own quilts. It does not matter how much you zoom in on the photos they do not blur so one can really study them up close as if you were there in person. I always enjoy seeing your quilting up close Tim , just love the flow you get with your stitches. Thanks for sharing. Glenda

2. Jaye says:

Love the tree and Teddy quilts. Just keep doing what you love; that should guide everyone’s style.

3. Kate says:

The common thread that I see? You tend to quilt more heavily than I’m accustomed to seeing. Your example has led me to increase my stitching, but not to the same extent. When I look at my old family quilts, the stitching is more sparing.

🙂 I do tend to quilt pretty heavily…..I think it is because I am inspired by the really old quilts…..in the 1800’s they were quilted even closer than I do it now because the battings needed that to hold together

4. Glennis Salls says:

If I would try to explain to someone what your quiltting was like, I would tell them that you use contrast: light and dark, bright and soft, large and small, straight and curves, round and angular, old and new, vintage and modern, and so on, to express your art and complement the patterns. This “style” is personal to you and each piece that you create, resulting in something beautiful, respectful, individual and an shining example of the art of quiltting.

5. Helen F says:

Truly magnificent display of your expertise!!!! Still loving your work!!

6. Sharon in Galesburg says:

The one thing all your quilts have in common, is excellent quilting and maybe a hair or two from Teddy. I love your quilts as they are real master pieces.

7. Deb says:

I think your quilts have one thing in common. Your amazing, hard work.

8. Nerida Duncan says:

Again I have enjoyed your show and tell and all the quilts are brilliant, however, I just love the quirkiness of your originals. You break the rules but keep elements of the traditional to make something artistically unique. They have a surprise element to them that is just fun to see. I especially love your tribute to Teddy.

9. annetisell says:

Thank you for sharing,Tim,I love the diversity of your work,this makes you special!The ‘Glasgow rose’,is stunning!

10. Agnes Crispyn says:

thanks for sharing, love the way you hand quilt.

11. audrey says:

Such an interesting question as I’ve wondered the same about my own quilting before! I think the quilts that are more ‘you’ are ones where you’ve taken a mediocre {and perhaps quirky} vintage top, added amazing hand quilting texture and brought it to heirloom quilt status. You have this incredible ability to finish a quilt in a way that causes people to start respecting it, no matter how rough its beginnings might have been. Your whole cloth quilts though–they are indisputably ‘Tim Latimer’ quilts from start to finish:)

Thanks…..I think in some ways I do have 2 styles…..one with the vintage and one with the new…..and I think that the more I quilt the more they both change…..and I think that is sort of expected

12. Laura in IA says:

Tim you do have a distinct styling to your quilts and quilting. It is a rare combination of traditional aesthetics and today’s fabrics and tools. And your skills are excellent. As I have watched your work over the past few years I feel perhaps I I could “pick it out from the pack”. I am confident you will continue to grow in your craft.

13. Hi Tim, your blog is in my top 3 because of the marvelous way you work……I have unfinished tops an wonder sometimes whether they will ever be quilted 🙂 I have insisted that my husband ask my friends to go through my UFO’s and stash because I don’t want my work to end in a bin. You create Respect!

14. Ginney Camden says:

I think no matter what you do, whether it is traditional or modern your theme is that you make them interesting and unique. You can take an old quilt that some wouldn’t even give it a second glance and with your talented quilting, or artful rearranging you make it look stunning.

15. Pam G. says:

My oh my… Your work never ceases to amaze me! There should be a museum displaying all your hard work! This is one post I will ‘star’ so I can go back and look at over and over. What inspiration and motivation you generate.

16. civilwarlady says:

What an amazing collection of quilts! I think that you have two styles: one for the vintage quilts and one for the new. Come to think of it, so do I. The vintage quilts I have done are all as close to the time period as I can make them. The new quilts (depending on whether they are supposed to be Civil War or not) tend to be different. Hmmm. You have given me food for thought, Tim. (hi to Teddy!)

17. Lorij says:

Oh! Tim, your work is absolutely marvelous. All of the quilts would win first place in any show. Whether you repaired, completed or made them from beginning to end. You should have your own show (if you haven’t already). You are such a wonderful example to all of us, the go on and get it done one’s and the poke along folk too. You inspire us all. Makes us want to do our very best.
    On top of your wonderful work you are kind and thoughtful. Your blog is really very nice. Seems you get to know so many nice folk when we visit. I try to check every day. It’s a happy place to visit. Give Teddy a pat for me.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )