Basting the next one

I got the next quilt pin basted today.

I used this fabric for the backing.

I had a few questions about a source for the fabric.  You can see all the information on the selvedge to do a search for the fabric.

I got mine at Marshall Dry Goods for $4.99/yd It looks like they are sold out of black, but have it in a few other colors here  http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/product-category/riley-blake-designs/

A lot of books and “experts” tell you not to seam the backing in the center.  I always do.  It seems like extra work to cut one of the lengths in half and sew it on , one on each side like this.

backing

I do a center seam and I don’t worry about the quilt police. I do press that seam open.
I tack the backing to the floor right side down.

Then lay out the batting and smooth it out.

This is the batting I used.

It is easy to work with the wrinkles come out easily

now I lay out the top and smooth out the wrinkles.

Teddy inspects the work.

I add the pins.   They might be hard to see in the picture because there are very few.   I don’t find the need for nearly as many as most sources suggest.

Ready to hand quilt.   I plan to use black 40 weight hand quilting thread.  I will do it without marking anything.   I will use the piecing as a guide.   More on that when I get started.

I did a bit more hand quilting work on the Mackintosh Rose.

DSCN6380 DSCN6379 DSCN6378

Happy quilting

23 thoughts on “Basting the next one

1. Beautiful quilts, good to see Inspector Teddy on the job 🙂

2. Mrs. Plum says:

Teddy is such a good quilt inspector! I’m always amazed at your fluidity between projects. My brain only seems able to concentrate on one thing at a time. Both quilts look terrific.

3. D3QFWTY6U7OP_{+[POIUYTREWQwcrt yuiop][poijuyg ewq says:

I really like this new quilt. I am drawn to the colours and textures. I can’t wait to the difference quilting will make.

4. Thank you Tim for sharing your process and assuring us all that it’s the making it our own way that counts!

5. I’ve never been bothered by a centre seam down the back as long as its not down the front.

6. Rose in VT says:

Both quilts are stunning and Teddy obviously approves. But I really hope I get to see the rose quilt in a show someday. Maybe I’m partial…

7. I’ve just discovered your blog and really like your work. And of course Teddy is a heart-throb.
    BB

8. Deirdre McConathy says:

Tim, did you piece or applique the melon/leaves in the corners?

9. Margaret says:

I love reading your blog! It’s always interesting & informative. Love the pictures of your quilts, Teddy & your garden. Thanks so much!

10. Marjorie Nath says:

Love watching your progress. I use to hand quilt back in the 70 and 80s before I stopped quilting. Now that I started again, I have just been doing machine quilting. But seeing your work, I hope to start hand quilting once we finish building our house here in Mexico and I can finally unpack all the boxes and find my hoops. Thanks for the link to Marshalls Drygoods, I had never heard of them, but I just placed my first order.

11. Nicole says:

Thanks for the selvedge info about the backing fabric. I have some of it (only a FQ, but still!) I knew I liked it……

12. Lorij says:

The back fabric is very pretty.
    Teddy looks just as if he knows exactly what he’s doing😊.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )