Garden Inspection and a Pattern

The weather is beautiful this morning so Teddy and I inspected the garden and  I took some more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

The garden is mostly buds at this point but I will post lots of pictures in the future when they bloom.

When ever I go out in the garden I find so much more work that needs doing.   The weeds never stop growing 🙂     I have given myself a gardening nickname:   Seymour, because I can always see more weeds.

Yesterday I posted some vintage quilt top pictures.    This one got a lot of attention.

DSCN6427-cropDSCN6427

When I purchased the top I made a tracing of the design and a PDF file of the pattern.   If you would like to make your own here is a link to the pattern https://timquilts.com/2012/07/07/sunbonnet-duck-pattern/

The other favorite was the cup and saucer

I will do a pattern for that soon.

Happy Quilting and Gardening

34 thoughts on “Garden Inspection and a Pattern

1. Julie says:

Oh, I can’t wait for the pattern of the cup and saucer. Thank you so much

2. Ann Genaske says:

Thank you so much for sharing your garden so generously. I felt like I was inspecting along with Teddy!

3. Linda Ecklund says:

Tim, We saw your beautiful quilt in Paducah at the AQS show a week ago. It was stunning and great to see your work up close and would like to know if you can provide any information on your upcoming trunk shows and lectures which are open to the public. Love your blog, your quilting philosophy, and I am a big fan of Teddy. I have learned so much. Plus, the combination of quilting and floral arranging is an added bonus! Thanks for all you do!

Hi Linda…..Thanks, glad you got to see the quilt . I really do hope to make up a calendar to post with future show information. I just need to break away from the fun work of quilting and gardening and make myself do it

Wait a minute, Seymour, as in the owner of the flower shop in Little Shop of Horrors???!!! Do you have a carnivorous plant that you have named Audrey II?? 🙂

5. Sandra B says:

Thanks so much for the tour of your garden! Cannot wait to see the progression of the blooming…looks like Teddy takes his garden inspection seriously! In the picture of Teddy labeled “on guard duty”, I love that design on the pavers (not sure if it is a driveway or patio)….
    Love the cup and saucer quilt….I hope you will do a pattern.
    Thanks for all the inspiration today…both quilting and gardening!

The pavers are the front sidewalk. They are original to the house so well over 100 years, and as far as I can tell it is the last remaining original late 1800’s sidewalk in the city

6. Clara says:

Your garden is fabulous ‘Seymour’, lol
    I love all of your quilts but the demin one sits in the back of my mind. Thank you for the pdf of the duck pattern, I think I will use that ducky on a few bibs and burp cloths I make for the newborns in the neighborhood. I think I am safe to say Tim you are a Jack of all trades and would/do make your mother proud!

🙂 thanks I love the idea of using the duck on baby things other than quilts, I never thought of that but it is a great idea. I do plan to make the top into a baby quilt one day…..I imagine that was the intent based on the size

7. Marilyn says:

Hi Tim, I am finally able to start my yard/garden clean up. Your garden is further along than mine. When I first saw your sunbonnet duck quilt I thought, “cute mother goose”! LOL Completely forgot that a goose has a longer neck, etc. Sunbonnet duck is a better name.

I thought it was a goose for a while too….but yes the neck does make it more duck like…….but to be totally fair I think it can be any web foot bird we want it to be……sun bonnet sure really doesnt look much like a real girl either 😉

8. Carla says:

Isn’t wonderful to see the new growth that springs brings. Teddy looks happy to be outdoors. He and Max would have fun together!

9. Nerida Duncan says:

Thanks Tim.

10. bermudagirl says:

Oh Tim, absolutely love the mug quilt top. With my obsession for mugs and tea cups I need to do one of those. This one is nice because it has the cornerstones. It is a beautiful top in any case. Lucky duck. Oh thanks for the botanical name lesson, those Pasque flowers I have in front of my door but because they speak German in my part of CH then I don’t know the names of a lot of these cold climate plants in English!

When I was a student and then when I was teaching college kids I had almost all the Latin plant names memorized and used them……now I must confess I have to look them up to check my spelling

• bermudagirl says:

Well my parents imparted their botanical knowledge on me. They are both walking dictionaries. Somehow I can remember most of what they tell me names wise and identify. I guess that has to do with my language abilities or that I am a visual learner so a walk around the garden is a lot easier than learning them from a book. I love the latin names of plants but not really Latin, did a little myself in high school but it didn’t stick at all. Preferred the more modern Romance Languages and now the Germanic languages, like English and German, because heck my brain has enough to do with them.

11. Lorij says:

When I lived in Buffalo, my father had a garage not far from where we lived, next to it was a huge lilac bush. As you know Buffalo gets lots of snow so, when I’d see the cost been leaved I’d get excited because I knew the bush would bloom in a few weeks and there would be the most glorious aroma. Lilacs smell soooooo good. And, they are beautiful too. Your yard is very nice and Teddy didn’t seem to mind today😊.
    Those were the prettiest quilts you posted that day. Thanks

12. Deb says:

The garden is full of delightful new beginnings! The Solomon’s seal buds are unique popping though the ground. Enjoyed the walk. 🙂

13. Rose says:

I enjoyed the tour of your garden. I love Teddy on the paved walkway…I thought he was standing on a quilt. Thanks for sharing the sunbonnet duck pattern. I think I will use it for baby quilts for our ministry.

14. annetisell says:

Thank you for sharing your garden! The most exciting time of the year,winter approaches in Australia 😦

15. Gretchen McClain says:

First of all, your garden is amazing! Thanks for sharing and I love seeing your inspector, too! 🙂 Our town has a mini class called “The Teeny Tiny Club”, and our wonderful instructor downsized teacups and coffee cups which we made into name tags and/or mini quilts. She got the pattern from “Cups and Saucers” by Maaike Bakker. I managed to find a copy of this book on eBay and have had a blast with it! Have fun with your cups and saucers, too.

16. quilz4me says:

Tim, with all the hand quilting you do, I feel you are an expert! I have 12 red work blocks, hand embroidered.  I am thinking of hand quilting it as it is a primitive elf pattern, a small size.  I am thinking it would be fun to use the crochet thread I purchased a while back.  My question, what batting do you recommend I use.  Each embroidered block is framed and is 5-1/2 x 7-1/2.  I don’t plan to quilt inside the framed block, at least at this point. Also, what size tapestry needle should I use to do the quilting.  Or would a regular quilting needle work, what size. Thanks for your help in getting this project quilted. Sandy Ruffino

Crochet thread comes in so many sizes that I cant say what needle to use. I have used it on one quilt and it will be the last. It was so much harder to deal with….extra fuzz….made the stitching look very irregular, it was no fun at all. For perle cotton thread….size 8 and 12 I use a size 5 embroidery needle . Batting depends on the look you are after….for a quilt with more thickness and definition of stitches I like Wool…..for more traditional I like cotton. My favorite cotton is Mountain Mist Cream Rose

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )