May Day

May Day, May 1st.
In some parts of the United States, May Baskets are made. These are small baskets usually filled with flowers or treats and left at someone’s doorstep. The giver rings the bell and runs away. The person receiving the basket tries to catch the fleeing giver; if caught, a kiss is exchanged.
Here is a May Basket quilt. (or at least one that reminds me of may baskets)

DSCN2866 DSCN2877 DSCN2900

you can read more about how I made it here  https://timquilts.com/2014/07/06/liberated-baskets-finished/

Spring is in full swing and there are daily changes in the garden.   here are pictures from today (click pictures to enlarge)

Happy May Day

14 thoughts on “May Day

1. lorieast says:

I really love this quilt, Tim. It’s fresh and springy looking!

2. Sandra B says:

Happy May Day to you and Teddy! I love this basket quilt, and Teddy looks so comfortable on it. Thanks for another “walk” through your garden. I love to see flowers and plants coming to life each spring…

3. Jan Smith says:

One of my favorites of yours, and I can see Teddy agrees. Happy May Day to you both.

4. Jane S. says:

Such pretty photos of the bleeding hearts and the May Basket quilt! I always used to love May Day, doing the whole flower basket for the neighbors. I don’t think kids even know about that tradition any more, that plus Maypoles seem to have gone by the wayside.

Oh, there are still Maypoles danced around — go to the Bryn Mawr College May Day celebration, outside of Philadelphia. Happy May Day! Strawberries and cream for breakfast, as is the tradition! Tim, please check your email, I emailed you — thanks.

6. Anne Kasten says:

thank you for reminding us that spring is joyous and that May Day can be about sweetness and love

7. Lorij says:

Your garden is so inspiring. Creeping phlox is a favorite of mine. And, it’s so easy to grow, least it is in North Carolina. Don’t know about CA.
    Teddy looks so glad to be outside with no snow. ☺
    The basket quilt is beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing.