String Melon Patch Finished

I finished the String melon top.
I made it with these vintage blocks

DSCN5700DSCN5697

I used Warm and Plush batting.

Here it is after the hand quilting was finished.

the next step was to trim the edges

Next is the binding.  I used bias binding.   It was cut at only 1 1/2 inches wide , then folded in half so it was 3/4 inch then machine stitched to the top, folded to the back and hand stitched.    It makes for a very narrow binding.

It measured 77″ x 86″

Teddy tested it out.

I always wash and dry a quilt when I finish it.  so into the washer …..Teddy is waiting for it to be finished.

Here it is out of the dryer

The quilting really stands out because of the thick batting

Here is the back

The Warm and Plush batting was definitely harder to hand quilt but I love the look of the finished quilt and the weight….really heavy.   It did shrink quite a bit, it is Now 73″ x 81″

I do think I will use the batting again.

It rained most of the day today but here are some garden pics from yesterday.

Happy Quilting.

51 thoughts on “String Melon Patch Finished

Great finish! Really nice, chock that one off your list and on to the next!

2. Jill says:

Tim, have you seen the 2015 poster for the Sisters Quilt Show……..

3. Gerrie says:

Beautiful! It would be great if the original maker of those melons could see your finished quilt. I think she or he would be very happy.

4. lorieast says:

Love love love it!!!

5. averyclaire says:

Those little strip pieced scrappy melons looked so SAD alone and now they have made a STUNNING quilt. Congratulations Tim on a creative well done finish. Love the look of the thick batting. Really nice!

6. Shula Mussnug says:

Beautiful! So unusual! Love to watch your progress.

7. annetisell says:

I wasn’t so keen on this at the start,you have transformed it into a MASTERPIECE!The binding is inspired!

8. Cheri says:

Congratulations on finishing this striking quilt! Is the Warm and Plush 100% cotton? I haven’t heard of this batt before so am thinking that it must be fairly new. Thanks for sharing all your garden and Teddy pics.

9. carolsteffensen says:

Looks great Tim, I am like you, I love salvaging those old quilt blocks from ebay. I may have bid against you on some of them.

10. Helenanne Judisch says:

What beautiful definition from quilting the warm and plush batting plus the wash and dry treatment. The narrow binding is a great finish on this piece. I learn so much from seeing your combinations. Thank you.

11. Amie says:

Totally awesome! Did you piece or appliqué the blocks? I have 88 of those that I bought off eBay…you have have created a monster hahaha! Amie 🙂

12. Nerida Duncan says:

If you ever get tired of looking at the front just turn it over. Both sides look great and that backing colour. is brilliant. I do love the extra definition that batting has given to the quilting. Agree bidding is half the fun, I had to sit on my hands and let one beauty just slide by me this week, it hurt. The garden is picking up now.

13. joandstella says:

When I first looked at your pictures, the melons looked pretty inaccurate to me, did you have to recut them or was a good pressing enough. It is just perfectly gorgeous!

14. Victoria says:

Tim, absolutely Beautiful!!! How many hours a day did you put in to quilt this beauty?

15. audrey says:

Another one of your incredible finishes! I especially love the mix of vintage with new. It’s a very striking and happy looking quilt.:)

16. Kathi says:

Love this finish Tim… congrats 🙂 I researched the Warm & Plush as I am planning a wall hanging and want to layer batting in it for a rustic finished look… If I have 1 layer of Hobbs Wool and 1 layer of Warm and Natural cotton (similar to Warm and Plush??)… which would you recommend to be on the top to show the quilting of the wall hanging… it will be very graphic with lots of circles in just a 36 x 37 wall hanging… ideas? It will be washed before hanging as you do.. I love pulling them from the drying once finished like you do! lol Thanks! Kathi

do you plan to hand quilt? that would be a real challenge because warm and natural is so hard to hand quilt. Warm and natural has a scrim and that makes for much harder hand quilting. that being said if you are going to do two layers I would use the wool on top….it will make the definition stand out more on the top because it is fluffier

17. Sharon in Galesburg says:

Jeezee, not another one done! It’s beautiful, as usual. Nice job, you two!

18. Diane says:

I love this…great job

19. Tim that is stunning!!! Love your creativity!!!

20. Carla says:

Another beauty

21. Sandra B says:

Once again, you have worked your magic for an awesome quilt! I love everything about it….I almost always use a thinner batting, but I have to admit, I really love the look of the dimension you got using a thicker batting on this quilt….thanks for introducing us to another option!
    Now you have to decide what project comes next….I don’t know how you decide, when you have such an extensive inventory to pick from!

22. Rose in VT says:

Stunning finish! I really enjoyed that you also put measurements before and after washing in the post. Wouldn’t have thought it would shrink that much. And the garden is looking as good as the quilts! Will you plant any vegetables in the mix?

23. Excellent Work, Tim! I appreciate how you post the process of your quilting and the materials used when quilting! I am learning a lot from you! You do great Work~!
    P.S. I recommend the Sisters Quilt Show! Very stunning displays of work!

Comments