Growing

Teddy says I need to finish the Mackintosh Rose quilt. (there isn’t enough of it dragging on the ground for him to sit on so he likes it better when I work on a larger quilt)

I worked on it the last few days.

Here are a few close up pictures

DSCN6626 DSCN6625

The spaces that aren’t filled in with perle cotton hand quilting are quilted with straight lines of hand quilting using black 40 weight thread.   I spent some time marking those lines today.

It is hard to see the marking but it is there.  I use a #2 disposable mechanical pencil from the office supply store.

I will also have to mark a border, which will act as a picture frame, but I will do that once the hand quilting is complete in the center.

here are a few more pictures of it today

DSCN6630 DSCN6629

15 thoughts on “Growing

1. Julie says:

I love your work. You have inspired me to try my hand at hand quilting. Pun???????? HaHaha.
    I have one question. Do you prefer your quilts tight in the frame or loose? I can’t tell which gives me better results.
    Thank you for your time.

I am a bit of an oddball on that…most hand quilters say they like the quilt loose…I like it tight…I think it is really a matter of trying it and seeing which feels best for you

2. Deb says:

I can tell Teddy wants you to get it done!! He , bless his heart, can’t have a good chew on that bone without a nice soft place to lay down on! The Quilt is great!

3. Pam G. says:

This is coming along beautifully! Can’t wait to see it finished. Scratches behind the ear for Teddy, and tell him to be patient.

4. glendajean says:

Morning Tim and Teddy, I’m not sure what it is about this incredible beautiful quilt but each time I see it straight away I relax and think of lovely happy times with my grandmother as a child?????? She had a lot of beautiful porcelain china and figurines and we had morning teas not a coffee breaks in a mug like we do now LOL. It really is ROMANCE & BEAUTY Tim. Cheers Glenda Australia.

5. Kerry Brown says:

Looking so beautiful…..I’m looking forward to summer for a break from students and quilting full time! LOL

6. First, I like your new background on the blog. I also have a question: Do you mark all of your quilting lines? I can see the marks you made for the black quilting thread, but do you also mark the lines for the perle cotton? Thank you so much for sharing your quilting life with us. You have inspired me to return to hand quilting.

7. Lorij says:

Hi Tim, I thought the person asking about if the quilt should be loose our tight in the frame was interesting. I like mine a bit tight most of the time but it sort of depends on the feel of the quilt I’m working on. The summer quilt I’m working on right now, I have just a tiny bit looser than when there’s batting. It seems to be easier to quilt with this one like that. You are a wonderful source of help.
    Teddy looks as if he’s saying hurry up and be done, please!!!😊

8. Beautiful work on the quilting of this project, Tim! What a stunning piece of art work! I admire your work!

Comments