Something New

If you are a regular reader of this blog you know that I have more ideas for new quilts than I have time to do them all.  I know it would drive many people crazy having so many things in the works at the same time but I feel like I need to do it.   I have to strike while the iron is hot.

I had an idea for a whole cloth quilt in my head for quite some time and a Facebook friend posted some pictures of her hand dyed fabrics and the rest of the plan came into place.    I asked her if she could dye a large (90 inches wide) piece of fabric for me and WOW look at it!

This is going to be a whole cloth quilt but I am keeping the design a secret until I have time to draw it out and mark the top…for now it is all in my head.

The artist who dyed the fabric is Dera Linker, check out her website here http://debralinker.com/   to see some more of her beautiful fabrics.

Debra is a real artist and is happy to do custom work.

Here is her guarantee:    “All fabric carries a 100% Happiness Guarantee.  If, for any reason, you are not 100% happy with my fabric, simply return it within 7 days, and I will happily refund the purchase price.”

It passed his inspection so I know it is perfect.

As excited as I am about my new fabric I still have the Mackintosh Rose quilt to finish, here are some update pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

The forecast is for more rain but the sun was out for a few minutes this morning.   Here are some garden pictures

Happy quilting

35 thoughts on “Something New

1. Kate says:

How delighted your neighbors must be, to enjoy all that beauty with none of the work! That piece of blue has me dreaming, too.

2. Sharon in Galesburg says:

Love the dyed fabric, especially how it radiates out from the center. Can’t wait to see what you do with it. Ear scratch for the Inspector!

3. Marla says:

Beautiful photos inside and outside!

4. debralinker says:

Tim! Thank you so much for your generous comments! I can’t BELIEVE one of my favorite quilters/artists/people is going to work his magic on my fabric!! So excited. LOVE the pic of Puppy with his bone on it, too! Thanks so much!

5. Sandra B says:

Love that blue fabric…cannot wait to see how you decide to quilt it.
    Your garden is looking great! I love seeing how everything is coming along…and, I don’t think I have ever mentioned how much I like that red metal art piece…it looks like the top piece catches the wind, and rotates… Thanks for posting all the garden pictures!
    Teddy looks so handsome sitting on the blue dyed fabric! Is that a new neck scarf he is wearing?

6. Agnes Crispyn says:

it is going to be beautiful, I’m sure.
    love that blue, but then I love anything blue.
    I’m also familiar with your problem : to many ideas, not enough time

7. brandie says:

Your posts are very inspirational! I want to start something new and your Macintosh rose is being a plan to mind. If only there was more time in a day and less chores!
    Please keep inspiring me and others with your quilting and your garden.

8. Love the diagonal parallel line fill on the embroidered piece. It’s a very old element in quilting designs, seen in some of the earliest American quilts.

9. Marilyn Schambach says:

Great fabric! It’s a great beginning for creation.

10. glendajean says:

Morning Tim and Teddy, how wonderful it is each morning to wake up and see your beautiful garden evolving, your iris is so incredible, I have an orchid the same size out in the garden at present that would be perfect beside it. Debra’s piece of art it stunning. It reminds me of a great snowflake crystal. Cheers Glenda Australia.

Thanks….I wish I could grow orchids in my garden…..There are a few lady slipper types that will take the sub zero winters here but they are really touchy to get started, might give it a try anyway

11. Deb says:

That piece of fabric is .. Wow.. Can’t find the right word … So just WOW!!! Garden is lovely. If you get a minute .. Can you go out and push one of those rain clouds south? My flowerbed could sure use it.😄

12. Pam G. says:

The fabric is beautiful, and Teddy coordinates so well with it. Can’t wait to see what you’re coming up with!

13. Teri says:

LOL, I have several pieces of Deb’s fabrics….and, ironically, two more arrived just today. Can’t wait to see what you do with yours!

Teri in Richland

14. Mrs. Plum says:

What a yummy hand-dye–and I am not particularly fond of blue! I’m sure whatever you do with it will be inspiring!

15. bermudagirl says:

Wow I love the died fabric, how lucky you are to get your hands on that, I am excited to find out what you do with it Tim. Teddy looks like he is pleased with your choice too. I think it would make a lovely snowflake with that pattern. Fantastic. Although I am not designing my own quilts….yet, I have lots of ideas and I know it is hard to get them all down. Whether it is with my quilts, and designing an art or utility quilt or in my writing and blogging. It is like with spring time in the garden. Everything is growing so fast you don’t have time to weed or take in the blossoms for an arrangement. Well that is how my garden is growing right now! None of which, or virtually none of which is due to my help.
    Greetings from Switzerland! Today it is going to be a hot day!
    Jodie

The fabric would be great for a snowflake, but This one will be different. A few weeks from now I hope to start on it…..I will need to find a good backing fabric …and buy thread…..as well as design the top……and weed the garden …..
      Happy spring

16. […] I bought a hand dyed piece of fabric a while ago to make into a whole cloth quilt.   see that post here for information on the fabric  https://timquilts.com/2015/05/11/something-new/ […]

Comments