more stuffing

Toady I am waiting for it to rain because the garden needs it.   While I do that I am working on adding the trapunto to the reindeer quilt. It is turning out great.

I posted some pictures on Facebook and got some questions about it so I will answer them here as well.

1. What will the back look like? wont it be full of holes?    NO.  the needle doesn’t break any threads it does look like it makes a hole but it closes right up when it is washed.  The threads of the fabric go right back into place. Aside from the hanging sleeve it will be hard to tell the difference between the front and the back.
  2. Wont that cause the quilt to be distorted?    NO.   Since I do the trapunto after all of the quilting is done all it can do is fill up those unquilted areas.  The quilting holds it all together and keeps it flat and square.   I might need to do a bit of steaming after it is washed to get out wrinkles, but I would do that even if there was no stuffing .    If it is a quilt that is not for a show I really don’t worry about that at all and just let the wrinkles come out on their own (they do disappear on their own over time while the quilt is unfolded and hanging or on a bed.
  3. Wont the stuffing get all bunched up in the wash?   NO.   I washed and dried (in the machine) my large feathered whole cloth quilt several times so far and it has not been a problem at all.

I am also adding stuffing to the grid and the bells.  here is a small section with some of that finished. (6 bells on the right are stuffed.)

Here are some more pictures of the progress (click pictures to enlarge)

35 thoughts on “more stuffing

Wonderful addition to the quilt!

2. Mardee Dowdy says:

Oh, Tim, Teddy is right. You are crazy. But your instincts are perfect. The reindeer snowflake is stunning, even more so than I’d have thought possible!

3. Mrs. Plum says:

Wow, wow, WOW!

4. Jill Buckalew says:

Loved this quilt as it was, but the trapunto is taking it to a whole new level. Beautiful!

5. Sharon in Galesburg says:

I can really tell the difference and it looks fantastic. The goals you set for yourself are amazing as are the finished quilts. Hi to Teddy😊

6. Ranchwife in Nebraska says:

The trapunto really makes a difference in definition. What surprised me was how much difference. I thought it looked great before, but it really looks fabulous with the added “poof” or substance to the unquilted spaces.

7. Aidan says:

You really are a National treasure. I want to be you when I grow up. Or, more accurately, IF I grow up.

8. Pam G. says:

Wow indeed! This is looking awesome. Looks like The Inspector approves as well.

9. glendajean says:

Morning Tim and Teddy; Im guessing you both went to bed very late last night with the amount of Trapunto done, isn’t it exciting seeing it grow and bounce in to more 3D effect. Love how the bells have exploded and stand out a lot more. It is showing up your quilting stitches more S WELL. Very very exciting Tim. Don’t worry Teddy he will be back to normal soon LOL. Tim your Rose design looks so beautiful as a wall paper. Cheers Glenda Australia

10. Martha says:

What a great idea to add the trapunto — it really adds that wow factor to an already incredibly beautiful quilt. I was wondering if the trapunto might also mask the batting seam you talked about in an earlier post.

Also, I’m in love with your amazing and unique Mackintosh Rose quilt, and your new blog background.

11. Again Tim, you are so talented! What an amazing accomplishment.

12. I’ve just used trapunto for the first time on a mini quilt. I love the texture and look of it. Your reindeer quilts superb.

13. Lorij says:

It was a pretty quilt from the start. This has really made it even more beautiful.

14. Donna K says:

Not only are you stuffing the reindeer but the grid and bells too? You are nutty! Wow, it really makes such a huge difference. It’s so good.
    Sometimes it takes living with a quilt a bit after you think you are done with it and realize that you are not happy with it, that it doesn’t match your vision of it. Bravo bravo.
    I finished a quilt that I really like in April. Well I liked the quilt but I didn’t like the binding. It just gnawed at me every time I looked at it. You know the answer RIP. So I am presently putting on a new quiet binding which will better suit the quilt and now I will like the quilt again. I am nutty too so I appreciate your nutty!

15. Sandi says:

I didn’t think the quilt could get any more beautiful…but WOW!

16. Becky in VA says:

I agree with all the comments – the trapunto MAKES the quilt. One more question for you, and excuse me if you have already given this information, but what are you using to stuff – wool?

17. averyclaire says:

Just like everyone else I agree….it went from a beautiful quilt to an over the top GORGEOUS, UNIQUE, EXQUISITE piece! Great job….I know it’s a lot of work, but worth every hour!

18. […] deciding about that. Whatever size I use I will just be doing a random fill stitch, much like what Tim Latimer does on his whole cloth […]

Comments