Something New

I have been working on something new.  As you know I love my garden and I add more every year.    I am nearly out of space. There is still a very small amount of grass that I could make into garden but I think some grass is needed in the back.     The little 2 bedroom house next door has as much yard space as my current garden and I have lived next to it for about 12 years thinking how much I would like to work on it.    The house came on the market and I couldn’t resist.

413

It was built in 1889 so it is just a few years newer than next door.

Houses in the area took a real tumble in the real estate meltdown and are VERY affordable ( I know people who have spent more on a car) ……there was a time a few years ago when it seemed that every other house had a for sale or a foreclosure/auction sign on it.    Those have mostly worked their way out of the system and some of the really bad houses were demolished.   I think it was the right time, just as prices are beginning to go back up (fingers crossed).

So I have been working on 2 yards, keeping up the existing and starting a new one.

The yard is fenced and is really a side yard to the left of the house.  It is a chain link fence which isn’t the most pretty  but it gives teddy a lot more space to run around. There were a million and a half trees growing along the fence and entwined in it. So cutting out branches, digging up stumps, and bagging up weeds and branches has been the major activity.

As is normal I got too excited to start and forget to take before pictures but here are a few from part way.   There is a wide area between the sidewalk (which is also the same antique bricks as next door)  and the fence.   Here it is with about 1/2 of the trees and weeds removed.

Piles and piles of branches.

They were cut up and put in bags and the city picks them up.

45 bags so far and I imagine there will be 10 – 15 more.

Here are some of the stumps from the saplings that I dug out.

and some smaller branches

There is a huge old tree that needs to come down.   It is hard to tell in the picture but it is ready to fall down on its own.

There is also a tree in the front of the house that really needs trimming, some of its branches actually nearly touch the ground when it rains and the water adds weight to the leaves.

I have a tree service coming to take care of that, hopefully in the next few weeks.

here is a part of the back yard cleared (you can see some stumps that still need to be dug out along the back fence).  See that pile of rocks in the back corner?

I used it to edge the bed next to the sidewalk.   The soil level is over a foot higher than the walk so the rocks should help hold it in place.

DSCN7215DSCN7214

This area will be replanted after the big tree comes down and I see how much sun I have.   I should have enough sun in the fenced area to even grow some vegetables.

As much as I enjoy garden work I am even more looking forward to getting the new quilt studio set up (that is the quilting secret I talked about in an  earlier post)   No more calling the dining room table and living room floor a studio.  I will have space for the full-sized frame, and plenty of space for cutting table, sewing machine table, shelves, storage, etc.  It is going to be so much fun and I will post pictures when I get it done.  All the yard work has kept me from spending my normal 6 hours a day of hand quilting but I will be back to it soon and post pictures of that as well.

I took some garden pictures today just as it was starting to rain……(click pictures to enlarge)

Happy Gardening and Quilting

107 thoughts on “Something New

1. Jan says:

Lots of work and lots of fun. Oh! the potential! There is nothing like an old place in need of some TLC.

2. Cathie King says:

Congratulations! I can’t wait to see both the gardens and the new studio. My goodness you have a lot of energy!

3. knitnkwilt says:

What a deal. Life will be so much easier with a devoted space. You will make up for the time not spent quilting in no time.

4. Shula Mussnug says:

Looking beautiful! Love your rock border.

I was glad the rocks were there….several years ago the house was a rental and the girl who lived there had a nice garden and brought in all those rocks to border all the flower beds she had….over the years since she moved the migrated into piles in the back.

5. Marla says:

Congratulations on your new acquisition! It looks like an ambitious project, but you will reap the rewards soon.

6. marilee says:

Congratulations! Fun and a little scarey! Maybe a guest house or BNB….not that you don’t have enough to do….

7. Rose in VT says:

Wow! That is so exciting. Can’t wait to see how you set up the new studio…and the new garden beds.

8. Karin Peirce says:

It sounds like a genius project to me. You are such a spectacular gardener. I always enjoy looking at all the wonderful things growing at your house. Many years ago, before arthritis and other health problems, I was a ferocious gardener. I had been transplanting plants from house to house for years and planted many trees a well. Gardening is such balm for the soul….

You could always turn your new house into a quilter’s retreat spot, I’m sure you’d have lots of quilters wanting to do that…at any rate, Bravo!

9. Joan says:

Dream come true! I’m thrilled for you and look forward to progress reports. Bless U🌷🏠👍

10. Louise says:

The new studio/house will be so much fun! You just have to walk across the yard to work! I look forward to seeing your new beds and house!

11. Kathy Roloff says:

How fantastic! You have a whole complex at your fingertips. I too, will look forward to your posts. Maybe gardening, flower arranging, or quilting classes in your new space. (isn’t it great how we all think of more for you to do!)

12. Sharon in Galesburg says:

How exciting! I can’t wait to see your quilting studio. I bet you’ve given a lot of thought on how you want it set up for your comfort and productivity. Tim, I don’t think you mentioned an office or space for the “Inspector”. Congrats on the new place, garden to be and storage space for your ever mounting pile of heirloom quilts. So excited for you and await pictures.

13. Louise Jackson says:

Wonderful! I’m glad for you. I always wanted a separate place to do my Quilting and to move all my tons of Quilting stuff out of my house. I ended up with a 30 foot travel trailer that I use in the summer and move back into the house in winter. Can’t settle in , so I don’t enjoy it….
    Would love to put everything in its rightful place….
    Enjoy your new retreat, and good luck with your renovations…

Tim, you rascal you! I say, just keep accumulating around the perimeter and it will turn into a wonderful quilt colony, the quilt colony for the upper Midwest. Lucky you — that’s just wonderful.

15. Susan says:

well..as you may have guessed from my earlier posts, I saw this coming! I too have a sweet cottage beside me for sale (in much worse shape yard -wise than this) that I have been contemplating buying…it is a cute 2-bedroom wit ha large living room….would be a fabulous quilt/sewing studio! OR rent it out to pay the mortgage and use the huge back fenced yard for a garden and dog….hmmmm…your new house is adorable..I love the architecture of that area!

16. Deb says:

How delightful! And I know that I will enjoy all the flowers you will post. 🙂 Hubby and I were in Oregan this past weekend, and the roses along the highway were so beautiful!! It seems they have roses planted everywhere!

17. katechiconi says:

There is absolutely nothing to beat dedicated quilting space. When we were looking for our current house, a large quilting room was high on the list, followed by a big yard with space for chickens! You, Teddy, the quilts and the flowers will all flourish!

🙂 Thanks….I hope Teddy adjusts …he is very much a creature of habit….im sure he will like the space when it has stuff from home in it rather than empty….and the previous owner had 2 dogs so he has to sniff every square inch over and over

18. Cheryl says:

Oh what fun your readers will have watching the garden and studio develop. Congratulations! You continue to amaze and inspire!

19. Vicki W says:

How wonderful to have 2 dreams in one!

20. Patricia Belyea says:

Great news. I love the new (old!) house. The garden will be great but your new studio will be phenomenal!

21. Kelly Tosaka says:

Congrats! New garden space and quilting space rolled into one. Can’t beat that. Can’t wait to see what you do with it. Don’t forget to keep those flower pictures coming. Simply stunning.

22. Suzanne hardebeck says:

Sounds wonderful

23. Nicole says:

Oh my goodness Tim, congratulations! What an amazing opportunity for you. And good too for “not letting any grass grow under your feet” on this one!

24. Louise Porter says:

What a wonderful project. I am constantly amazed at what you’re working on each time I check. Would you like a house plus garden in New Zealand…..!

25. Anne Kasten says:

This is a dream come true. It is so wonderful that you have such a committment to your quilting and your garden. Your community is lucky to have you. And we who are in your reading community are lucky too. bravo Tim!!!

26. 54allie54 says:

Sublime, Tim. I am so loving following both your gardens and your quilting.

27. Ángela says:

Aha!, so that was the secret, and what a secret! Beautiful acquisition with a future full of joy. You and Teddy will be the happiest and we will witness it. I am eager to see Teddy’s favorite spot in that studio.
    Congratulations!

28. Kathy says:

You are the most talented and hard working man! I love the new place and can’t wait to see you work your magic there. Please post photos of the yard and house/studio as you go. Oh, and quilts, can’t forget your quits! You certainly inspire!

29. Mary says:

When you began writing I thought yiu would be turning into a quilting place fir traveling quilters so we could have a place to take lessons from you. Now I’m excited that it will be a studio for you! Congratulations!

30. helen says:

Congratulations, Tim!! This house is a treasure – “un petit bijou”!!
    A big changement!
    I would love to be as enthusiast about garden work as about quilting, but I always prefer to admire the beautiful gardens than to work on the weeds… 😉
    Best wishes!

31. audrey says:

Well good for you! Sounds like a wonderful new phase of quilting for you! I’m betting the new yard will prove very therapeutic as well.:)

32. Judy says:

Oh Tim, what fun! Congratulations!! Can’t wait to see progress pictures! New quilting space and more gardens…awesome!! 🙂

33. Margaret says:

Congratulations! Best Wishes! Good Luck! Happy for you to be able to expand on your space to do what you love. Looking forward to your posts & pics.

34. Amie says:

Oh Tim how exciting!! It’s like having your very own playhouse! What you’ve done in the yard looks so good too. From the street will it be like 1 big front yard with both houses? Wow, I can’t wait to watch your progress 🙂 and Teddy, it’s going to be fun for him too with so much to explore. And sniff!

35. Donna K says:

Wow Tim. Such a good reveal to us all.
    I know that you and Teddy will enjoy once he gets used to it a bit more.
    No need to reply, I just wanted to congrat you. Have a great day Tim. Maybe the rains will let up for a day or two.

Brilliant decision! Can’t wait to see it all!

37. Pat Long says:

What a great project! And having your own studio will be wonderful too.

38. Linda Ecklund says:

Congratulations on your wonderful news! A new canvas to “paint”! Thanks for sharing your creative visions with us – they are so inspiring! Best wishes to you and Teddy!

39. Gaye Ingram says:

Good for you, Tim. You’ve been working hard—all those saplings dug out! So glad the timing and pricing worked out so that you could save the house, add space for gardening, and have a real studio.

40. Becky in VA says:

How wonderful! More space for sewing and growing!

41. dondim says:

Good for you! You are making your entire neighborhood a better place. Your neighbors must be so glad! I’m thinking of all the happy animals in the area, too, that will enjoy the benefits of all your gardening. Your new quilting area will be awesome also. A total win-win!

the birds and butterflies and bees love the garden…..squirrels are plentiful, an occasional rabbit that I could do without (call me Mr. McGregor ) and a few groundhogs that are really destructive that i could do without for sure

42. Wanda says:

A studio next door! How exciting! Congratulations Tim (and Teddy)!

43. Sandy says:

Congratulations! So happy for you & Teddy that you will have your own studio & more garden space. Looking forward with interest to see how you will set up your quilting studio.🌷🌷

44. Pam G. says:

How exciting!!! You must be thrilled out of your mind – Teddy too. Can’t wait to see all the changes coming. Congratulations and enjoy!

45. Lorij says:

Congratulations on your wonderful purchase. How special! I’m sure when you’re done with getting outside completed, you are really going to enjoy working on the inside and, getting your sewing and quilting area in order. It’s going to be marvelous to have space for everything. I’m certain you’ll be very pleased when all is completed.
    Teddy is going to be beside himself with joy😄.
    I’m very happy for you. Wonderful accomplishment.
    Blessings, Lorij

46. Nancy says:

How wonderful! And exciting!

47. Ginney Camden says:

That’s wonderful Tim. How fun to have new rooms to fill for your quilting studio. I look forward to the yard transformation!

48. Sandra B says:

Awesome news!!
    Cannot wait to see your new studio all set up! And the beginning of your new gardens!
    Teddy will no doubt take his inspector duties quite seriously!
    So happy for both of you!

He will for sure…..he has been hard at work inspecting everything in the yard, and he is tired! he normally sleeps a lot during the day, but not when he is outside

49. glendajean says:

Congratulations Tim and Teddy, Tim you of all people deserve this wonderful quant studio for all those wonderful restored and rescued quilts of another area, just think of all the wall space for your treasures to hang. Teddy what fun for you to run wild with out running over Tims flowers LOL. Come next winter you will be able to look out the windows and dream of more planting in the spring! SO so much heavy work has been going on all ready Tim you sure won’t need to go to a gym over the this summer LOL. Thanks for sharing your exciting new journey it is such fun to share with you. Cheers Glenda

50. banksia says:

How fantastic Tim,Teddy will be in his element,a whole new world for you both!Congratulations!.A very different story in my state of Australia,house prices are way too inflated.Enjoy your new space!

51. susie Q says:

WOW …… WOW…… WOW….. just a tad green….. but happy for you.

52. civilwarlady says:

I am so happy for you, Tim & Teddy! I don’t know anyone who deserves such an amazing studio space more than you. I wish you the very best in creating and enjoying your new place.

53. what a dream!!! I will enjoy watching your progress! I’ll bet the neighbors are excited to know that this home will soon have grand gardens, too.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )