More Garden Work and a Happy Dog

Today was perfect garden weather so I spent the day working on that.

I got all the tress and weeds out of the fence along the driveway and at the side of the house.

On the side of the house there were huge overgrown Rose of Sharon plants hiding the large window.    I had to dig those out and I found a window well for one of the basement windows.

at the back corner you can see the rest of what was in that bed.   Bishops Weed ( Aegopodium podagraria) I hate it!    dug it all out and I know it will be back!   it is so hard to get rid of…..but I will persist.   all gone for now. I think Hostas will go here.

The driveway is in serious need of paving.   Here is Teddy taking a stroll on it.

Here is the side yard from the sidewalk.

Once that big tree in the corner is gone there should be plenty of sun and that area behind the rock border will be planted.

Ferns now hang on the front porch.

a few pots as well.

Those Day Lily plants around the porch came from my garden about 10 years ago.   I dug them up and gave them to the lady who was renting the house at the time.   They are about to bloom.  I think they are destined to be moved again.  into the front bed with the rock edge.

Teddy went to the groomer today and he was very happy to be clean again…he gets pretty dirty playing outside in his new yard.  It doesn’t take him long to get a dirty face….he has it in the dirt all the time sniffing. See the dirt in his beard?

He has a new friend…sort of.   The last two days one of the neighbors has walked past with their new dog.   A black Giant Schnauzer.  She is huge and not full grown yet.   They admired each other through the fence. He like being so close to the sidewalk.   so much better than just looking out the window.

I will be posting inside pictures soon but I have spent the time in the garden first because the weather was great.

Happy Gardening

36 thoughts on “More Garden Work and a Happy Dog

1. Sharon in Galesburg says:

You sure get a lot of work done in a short amount of time. The ripping out must be the worst part of it…..then comes the planting which is the best part. You must be excited, tired and sometimes overwhelmed. Today was a good day to be in the yard, that’s where I was also. Teddy looks very handsome. Please give him an ear scratch from me.

I think ripping out is the hard part but it is very rewarding! and I get to think about what to plant as I do it……teddy says thanks for the scratch

2. glendajean says:

Oh Tim it all ready looks loved!!!! So happy to see the hanging baskets and the pot plants on the veranda they must make the locals who walk past so happy to see it been loved again. Teddy you look so so handsome and what fun you will have romping in your own park??? I’m sure it feels like a park to you. Cheers Glenda

What a happy guy! I mean, happy guys. You and Teddy, having a ball. Wish I was there to help, it looks like so much fun (if you and Teddy are into delegation — you team of two may want to do all the work yourself, the gardening and the inspection).

🙂 the hard part is nearly done…….planting will be spaced out over a long time…..I do need to get the lawn in center the fenced yard in shape…..I plan to top it off with soil and then sod. it is mostly weeds right now and that drives me crazy…but the major planting will likely happen over time …like years

• Kristen says:

Completely understand the part of doing the groundwork (sorry) to get the lawn in shape — takes time but is absolutely necessary. I wish my family believed in sod; I muddle along with the hopelessly weeding a lawn that will never ever be weedless, because I too really hate the weeds.

I have done the seeding thing before…..it really is a drag…..It is not that much grass and I think it will be so much easier…..started moving stuff in …and it is starting to feel homey

4. Ann says:

Wow!! Congratulations on your new annex! Lots of potential there for sure. You are obviously having a blast. It makes me smile to see you bringing the yard back. How’s the condition of the house inside? Looks good on the exterior.

the house is in good shape……no real big projects needed….nice kitchen and bathroom…..no awful paint….no filthy carpet…..almost new roof….the previous owner did a lot of work inside. But yes I am having lots of fun on the outside…..

5. The Frugal Quilter says:

I would gladly move in !
    So pretty – nothing to rent where I live and love to workin the yard… Just say the word –
    Uhaul ready

6. Gaye Ingram says:

I am glad to see Teddy inspects gardens too. He looks up to the task. What a guy!@

I can’t tell what you’re more excited about, the house quilt space or the yard?? And the 2nd floor to store all those quilts to finish??

8. lorieast says:

You are making great progress! It will be such fun to have a whole new canvas to plant in, and taking your time about it will be wonderful. You can shape it as you go.

Teddy is looking very handsome after his visit to the groomer. I’m sure there are lots of new smells for him to absorb in his new territory…am guessing he might need another trip to the groomer soon.

LOL….yes the previous owners had big dogs…..and he has been sniffing the pace non stop….today we didn’t work outside….trying to begin the moving process and he is really confused about it ….I have a groomer appointment scheduled for next month….we will see how clean he can stay

9. Nancy says:

You will keep both houses then? One for your studio and one for your “bunkhouse”? If it’s allowed, you could give classes! Teddy sure looks happy. He really does seem to be smiling in his picture.

I am not sure about classes….lots of people have asked about it, but I am not sure yet…I have been a teacher (in horticulture) for so many years I need a break from that for a bit

10. Susan says:

Coming along nicely! I hate the tearing out..but necessary to clean it up. Glad you are doing the trees at the getgo…that sun is so important! I see people fight too much shade all the time but will not trim or eliminate trees. Will you be able to cut a gate into that side fence or are we thinking mystery tunnel?? 🙂 Maybe an elevated glassed bridgeway?? Lookin’ great!

11. Lorij says:

You’ve made great progress. You’ll be finished soon. Then you can get your sewing studio set up. Will the entire house be used for a studio or is there space to teach some classes perhaps or to, maybe have 4 to 6 folks at a time for quilting retreats. Could you maybe have 2 folks to a room for 3 day span. That would be lovely and the fees will help pay the mortgage. Plus help teach your techniques to others. Could be the start of a wonderful thing. Just a thought. ☺
    Teddy would probably love it.

12. Pam G. says:

Glad you had some good weather to be able to work on the yard. Your neighbors have to be thrilled to have you as a neighbor – x 2. Teddy is looking awesome & up to his inspection duties.

13. Rose in VT says:

Tim I’m so excited for you and I’m sure Teddy is up to the task of guarding two yards now. You’ve inspired me to look up on Zillow a couple times real estate in Lansing, and fantasize how this or that place would be if next door to me. Alas real estate in Vermont is not so affordable, so a fantasy it will stay…

14. Pat Long says:

Wow, the place looks so much better already!

thanks….once the tree in the front is trimmed up it will make a big difference in the look of the house ….and there will be a lot more sun outside and in

15. Ginney Camden says:

It’s a cute house and it’s going to be great. Will you somehow connect both the back yards with a fence so Teddy can had more room to explore?

16. Darlene Reid says:

Hooray! for your new house and Studio

Are you going to try to connect the houses so in the dead of winter you don’t have to go out in the weather?

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )