Crazy stairs to the studio

I don’t have the studio space set up yet.     I am starting the move but packing it all up takes time and organization is not my strong suit.   These crazy steep stairs lead up to the room that will be the construction room.

The sewing machine will be here, and a cutting table and Ironing table  and supplies and a desk for the computer.

I added the AC unit today…..no central air and it gets hot in the summer.     When I finish the gardening the view out the window will be great.

The door at the back on the right is the storage closet.  The collection of quilt tops and all the finished quilts will go there .   It is a large closet. You can see less than 1/2 of it in this picture.

One of the rooms on the first floor will be the quilting room…where the actual hand quilting will happen.   The frame will be there and a hoop on a stand, and a comfy chair or 2 and shelves for quilt books.   .

It is an old house (126 years old) and one thing it retains is the old tub.

perfect for soaking old quilts.

Moving and organizing is not something I am good at so it will be a while yet before I can show you pictures of the work spaces all set up.

Happy quilting

69 thoughts on “Crazy stairs to the studio

1. Susie Wimer says:

Wow! This is going to be awesome!

2. Sharon in Galesburg says:

OMG it is so cool! Your space is going to be awesome. I am so excited for you. It looks like the top floor was designed especially for you and your specific need. I bet you can’t wait to sit down and start making progress. It’s going to be wonderful!

3. Ángela says:

I love that house.
    I cannot believe that you are not good at organizing, as you seem to do a pretty good job of organizing a garden, a bunch of colors, shapes and so on. Isn’t that weird? Our brains are just a mystery.

4. glendajean says:

Morning Tim what fun this morning was to wake up and see your awesome studio space; like Sharon says the top floor looks like it was designed for a quilting studio. LOL Best part I like are those crazy stairs what fun they add to the house. Love your positive out look on the old bath LOL. But you are right it will be so so good for soaking those old quilts and new ones. Its so good to see you having so much fun if rather a heavy work out at present. Cheers Glenda

5. Cathie Lanier says:

Love this cute little place! It will make an excellent studio for you. Neat stairs, too. And your gardens will be wonderful at the two places. Teddy will like it also, I’m sure. Congratulations on the purchase!

6. Mary says:

This would be a wonderful place for small quilt workshops conducted by Tim Latimer…or maybe a stop on a garden tour?

7. Marcia Ahlbrand says:

You must be THRILLED!!! Love it!

8. Amie says:

I’m great with sewing space organization so I’ll just come help you lol!! Seriously though, make sure there are no old electrical to be replaced …just in case. Your quilts are priceless but to the homeowners insurance..they are just cotton sheets. Love your space and I’m tickled to be able to watch your progress!!

9. Marg says:

your new place looks soooo cool, I think you need a balcony over looking the garden, and a big slidding door too! It would make your work space perfect!

10. Louise Porter says:

Wonderful Tim. The house and its rooms are so full of atmosphere. I wonder what stories it could tell.

11. Paula says:

I think you are very good at organizing and you seem to have an endless supply of energy. I love reading your blog and am looking forward to seeing how your new garden and sewing spaces evolve.

12. Old houses love old quilts! What a perfect match! Wish I lived closer I’m good at moving and putting up shelves. My walkin closets in studio are lined with shelves.

13. 54allie54 says:

I’m going to love watching this space fill out and mature…just like a garden!

14. sorry about those stairs…lotta fun getting everything up there…but won’t it be glorious in 5 years when your landscaping blooms and you can observe your own yard in bloom from above! I can feel for you on the moving..I won my house in my divorce three years ago but live with a boyfriend, so for three years I have been moving back in! Like you, I don’t have to sleep there so can do it the way i want, when I want…a true luxury, no? ..The house looks to be in really great shape..at least you won’t have to rehab first! Wish I were close enuf to help….I hate to move with a passion but I’d give you a good day!

🙂 moving slowly is actually a big help in the organization……last time I moved I moved many boxes that I had not unpacked from the last move…..I am not going to do that again….everything will be unpacked and If I have no need for it out it goes

15. katechiconi says:

What a blissful space for creating beautiful things! It looks perfect to me. The only thing I’d change is taking up the carpet and having bare boards – so much easier when you drop pins or threads!

16. Carin says:

You have a beautiful house. Can’t wait to see what you are going to do with the room. Perfect for quilting !

17. Suzanne hardebeck says:

Looks like a great studio

18. Laura in IA says:

I am thrilled for you. It is all so very exciting. A thought on your closet – you may want some kind of window covering that will block the sunlight coming through that window.

19. Cathie King says:

Oh what a wonderful room to do some creative sewing in. Not that it’s a problem now with you. Teddy needs his own corner with his own quilt on his little bed!

20. Leo says:

that is not really carpet in the sewing room, is it? … though it might help to keep all those threads in the room – they will stick to the carpet and not the socks … maybe I need to try a rug under my sewing area – well ok I might have to invest in a vacuum cleaner first …

I always have to grin when I hear Americans talking about “old” houses … it’s like me complaining to have to drive almost an hour to the next city (while passing through 20 villages and towns ..)

yes carpet not my first choice for sure but I work with what I have. some day the will be wood but so much work and money ……
      Most Americans think of any house over 25 as old……this one is 100 past old by that standard. And surely not the McMansion standard that we see on all the home TV shows where the buyers and real estate agent go through the home and the buyers turn up their nose at the kitchen if it doesn’t have stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops and huge center Island and millions of cabinets (and I know they will never cook)…. or doesn’t have a master bedroom larger than my entire house or a master bath large enough for 12 people. It can get excessive. of course that zeal for new and huge was a driving force of the financial collapse of a few years ago…..

21. Pam G. says:

A quilters dream! I’m excited for you and can’t wait to see more pics.

22. Rose in VT says:

I just love that closet! It looks as big as the main room. And the stairs remind me of my grandparents house in Minnesota…happy memories.

I am sure that those stairs would never be approved in new building code but they were frugal with the space and made the stairs take up as little as possible……I think that is great! I imagine your grandparents home must have been built about the same time …..

23. Linda Ecklund says:

What a dream! It looks like you are well on your way to organizing the new place and I have a feeling the house was just waiting for you! Enjoy!

24. Miriam Dix says:

How fortunate for you to have a whole house devoted to quilting. It will be so enjoyable when you have it finished. I just redid a room upstairs very similar to your upstairs room, but I have all my sewing stuff in there and it is very full. But it is good to have one room devoted to sewing so I will enjoy it. It’s amazing how much we can accumulate, but isn’t it fun. I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing all the quilting and gardening. You have a knack for it. So happy for your new space.

25. quiltncards says:

That tub would be good for soaking old quilters, too. LOL
    Hugs

I’m waiting for you to set up the 24/7 quiltcam, so that you can prove to all those amazed people that you actually do quilt ONLY six hours a day.

27. charmingbubble2 says:

Is the new house/sewing room a man cave of sorts for you and Teddy? You’ll still be living next door but working in the new place?

28. Sandra B says:

My grandparents’ home DID have some steps similar to yours! I used to love to go up and down…no doubt causing my parents great concern that I would fall down, causing great bodily injury!
    One thing I particularly like about the house, aside from the great layout, is it’s age….how cool that you will have a quilt studio in a home that is age appropriate for so many of the vintage tops you have! Perfect for you and Teddy!
    Looking forward to seeing it come to life…and the garden as well!

I hadn’t thought of that, but yes the house is the same age as many of the old quilt tops I work on…it was meant to be …the old quilts will feel at home

29. Mary says:

I love the old staircase leading up to your new quilt room – it’s going to be awesome! Good luck and have fun decorating and organizing .

30. suzette shoulders says:

We just sold my mom’s 1952-built home to a couple in their 50’s who loved the kitchen, the view, the garden, and the feel of the home! They have added a stone patio to the front yard to look at the mountains, and a swing to the old tree, with grass under it, for their 3 year old granddaughter, and I love knowing our childhood home is occupied by people who love it. That house that is now your studio is happy to be lived in and loved again, I am sure of it! Suzette

31. Cathey says:

It is a wonderful place, but be aware of the natural light coming from a window in the closet. It would be terrible to fade your quilts and tops over a period of time.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )