Before and after

The tree crew came today to trim up the street tree and get it out of the power lines and remove the dying tree in the cornet of the fenced lot.

Teddy had a really hard time with it….so much noise and activity!   I am so happy with the results …I can see the house so much better and the side yard is so much brighter.

Before

after

next I will get to work cleaning the back deck and staining it

and then I can start planting the new garden.

Here are some more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

I plan to get some hand quilting  done too before I forget how!

Happy quilting

38 thoughts on “Before and after

1. Anne Kasten says:

The house looks so much happier. Like it can breathe again and as if it knows it is loved…..

2. Marla says:

You are a man on a mission! Soon you will be enjoying the results in your new quilting spaces.

3. Patti Mulligan Mackinnon says:

You are an inspiration in many ways…

4. Pat Lauen says:

Nice!

5. Laura says:

I’m curious about how tou’ll clean your deck. Ours needs cleaning too, but I have no idea how to do it.

Olympic Stain makes a deck cleaner….you spray it on with a garden sprayer and then rinse with water……..works great. I did clean a deck for a friend who has all kinds of allergies and was afraid of the spary….I used oxiclean…..mix the powder with really hot water….spray it on heavily, let it sit for a bit and then brush….I used a stiff bristle brush that attaches to a broom handle

• Laura says:

Thank you so much, Tim,, for this helpful info!

just a note….the olympic deck cleaner worked great but the areas where there was overspary killed the grass…..be very careful to keep it off of plants, and if it gets on plants rich immediately with water

6. Dorothy Matheson says:

Tree crew came here a week ago and did two trees like your big one in front. Mine are live oaks and now it is easy to see and easy to walk under them. So nice. Like you I had one tree taken out over the above the ground pool and now the area has more light and no pine needles in the pool.

7. Loves beautiful already!

8. Linda P says:

I bet your neighbors are enjoying the goings on. I know I would be anticipating a beautiful garden coming. 🙂

That is one sweet little crib, Tim. The Michigan Tourism Board needs to do one of their Pure Michigan ads featuring your gardens (and Teddy). Pure Teddy. Would pump up the Michigan economy in no time.

Wow, you really do have so much more space now that you show the big picture of both yards! And getting rid of the tree was the right decision! I can’t wait until both yards are just immersed with flowers and plants!

lots to do yet in the fenced yard….the ground is so unlevel….it is hard to walk on so need to start by adding a lot of soil and then define the beds and then grass for teddy……then planting

11. Jeanette says:

That house is so CUTE. You make things happen so fast…It is astounding….You have taken on a huge undertaking and made it seem so simple… Congrats….

12. Lorij says:

Moving the tree opened up everything. It makes it look totally different. ‘Very nice. You’re making steady progress. Teddy will be very happy when you’re finished. Give him a little pat for me.

13. Rose in VT says:

So is that chainlinked side yard part of your studio house property also? That will sure increase your garden space! Incredible potential, but can’t wait to see how you even it out. We don’t want to hear of Teddy or Tim twisting an ankle in the meantime.
    How long did it take you to learn to hand quilt ‘away’ from you? I’m a leftie also, and can only quilt toward me or to the right. So I’ve never bought a frame, even though I have space for one.

The chain link fence is the yard for the new house….there is virtually no back yard but a nice side yard.
      I taught myself to hand quilt without ever seeing another person do it so away and the the right is they way I have always done it

14. Sandra B says:

What a difference removing one tree and trimming another has made! I hope Teddy has recovered from all the noise…I guess it is hard for our four legged family members to understand what is going on…..
    Hope you get to relax and do some quilting soon!

It is amazing to me too….I keep looking at the space and trying to remember how it was before I started all the cleanup. staining the deck today and tomorrow (no rain please )

15. kathi says:

Know just how Teddy feels about the noise and commotion. My daughter, who lives about 15 mi away, is having some landscaping done. Between a chatty crew and noisy equipment, she know it would be more than her mini Dachshund could tolerate. So her little one (Stanzi by name) is staying with me till the yard work is done. Win-win for everyone.
    BTW — I agree with Kristen who suggested Michigan think about expanding “Pure Michigan” to include “Pure Teddy”!

16. audrey says:

No chance of that Tim! I think quilting is part of your dna now.:)

17. Nerida Duncan says:

While I cant see much of the other houses it does seem your house is the stand out one. The garden really gives it a lift and looks fabulous. Now, in time it will have a ‘friend” with similar trimmings. I will enjoy watching it develop over time.

18. glendajean says:

Morning Tim, it was wonderful to see the houses from a cross the street, now I have a clear picture of both houses becoming a married home. What a difference the pruning of the tree has made, you can now see the pretty face of the new house. How happy the neighbours must be seeing this lovely wee cottage been restored back to its glory days. Cheers Glenda

Comments