These Boots…..

Remember Nancy Sinatra?

This quilt top makes me think of that song every time I see it.

I would guess it is from about 1970 or so.

This one is not mine but I will be hand quilting it when I finish up with the others I have started.   It belongs to Victoria Findlay Wolfe.  Fortunately she is not in a rush for it.   Check out her website, she is an amazing quilter, with her travel and teaching schedule I don’t know how she finds the time to make such cool quilts.

It might be hard to tell in the photos but the background and sashing is a very pale blue and the cornerstones are white.

The boots all have some lace added

DSCN7383 DSCN7384

I imagine that the design inspiration was actually Victorian boots/shoes.

1890s-victorian-womens-button-two-tone-boots-spool-heel

I am not ready to start anything new but I had to share this because I think it is really fun.

There is a very similar quilt in the book Unconventional & Unexpected  American Quilts Below the Radar 1950-2000 by Roderick Kiracofe

Not a lot new in the studio.    I got the desktop hooked up.

I need to hide all those cords!   I have a large screen so I can see it without glasses.   I wear bifocals and they work for quilting, and distance, but not the computer…..I’m not ready to try trifocals 🙂

Most of the desk is filled.

I spent more time in the garden, or more correctly what will be the garden.   There is still so much prep work to do before any planting can happen in the side yard.

The big patches or bare earth are there because I have been moving the soil from the high spots into the low spots.    It was so very uneven it was even hard to walk.    There is still a lot to go and I will have to add some additional soil to fill in all the holes.      Eventually there will be planting around the perimeter which will hide the chain link fence. I have finally got most of the tree stumps dug out and cleared away.

That semi-circle around the bird feeders in the front is rocks.   I have never had any luck growing anything under bird feeders so I used more of the rocks from all over the yard to made an edging and will just keep that area for the birds.

Mostly sparrows so far.

But there was a wren thinking about it.

There really are a lot of  different kinds of birds in the neighborhood …they just haven’t found the feeders yet.

Teddy is ready to take a nap….being outside tires him out.

I have a ton of boxes to unpack so back to it.

30 thoughts on “These Boots…..

1. Sharon in Galesburg says:

I cannot believe how much work you get done! Everything is looking great and I can’t wait to see how the yard and garden change as you put your plans into place. Yes, Teddy does look tired……and I just love your little pal.

2. Your garden is keeping you busy but it will be worth it. Funny how we all get withdrawal when we don’t get to quilt for a while. Love Teddy ! He’s the cutest I have a mini schnauzer Rosie my best buddy.

3. Oh I forgot to say I loved that video clip . Great song.

4. knitnkwilt says:

Hmmm. And now that song will be in my head until another bumps it out! 🙂

5. Kate says:

Try no line glasses. I love mine, worn for sewing, quilting, computing, driving, reading and piano. One pair does it all.

6. Darla says:

Wowzer, Tim! You are such a busy,productive,interesting and talented person. Two houses is a very good idea…two gardens, even better!
    Enjoy the process and please keep us updated.

7. Marcia Ahlbrand says:

Do you do all this work yourself?? OMG I don’t know how you do it!

I have lots of practice……I spent many years in the horticulture filed working on gardens and landscapes in the summer and teaching in the winter

8. banksia says:

Great song and marvellous quilt! New garden and studio coming along nicely,no wonder Teddy is tired,I am too just taking it all in!😀

9. Christine Cole says:

I love watching your progress. Your energy is inspiring. I totally get that sleepy look on Teddy’s face, but you’ve motivated me once again to get moving!

10. Sandra B says:

What a cool quilt! And yes, I do remember Nancy Sinatra’s boots song!!
    Everything is coming together so well, both inside and out….I think you should take some time out for some quilting therapy….and Teddy needs something quilty to inspect!!

11. Pam G. says:

Great progress! With all the changes and new territory to inspect, Teddy is going to need more naps. I can see him napping at your feet (or near you someplace) while you take a break to quilt.

12. civilwarlady says:

Do you ever sleep, Tim? I am so impressed with how much you get done in the gardens, the new house, and your quilts. Gosh, I wish I were as productive! If Teddy (who does look tired) could take your picture, would you look tired?? Doggie hugs from Abbey!

13. Lorij says:

For the lady who had deer issues. Deer don’t usually like lavender so, if she was to plant that in with the other flowers that may help the deer problem.

14. Elizabeth White says:

No trifocals for me either. Instead my ophthalmologist prescribed a pair of glasses just for the computer. They are set for the distance to the screen and stay on the desk by the computer. You might try that if seeing the computer screen gets difficult. Cheers.

15. Janis Pearson says:

I have had great success growing an abelia grandiflora under my bird feeder. Hummingbirds and bees love its sweet-smelling flowers.

16. Victoria says:

;-))))) hehe! When ever Tim… You have a lot on your plate… love watching your garden grow!

Comments