Paper Foundation Piecing Finished

I finished all of the piecing and now the blocks are ready to be joined.

Here is a step by step of how I do paper foundation piecing.

I use June Taylor foundation sheets.

june taylor paper

They are see through so I can see the lines on both sides and that makes it so much easier.

I print the pattern on my computer printer.   Here is the pattern for the border.

The paper is transparent enough to be able to easily see the lines from the back.

If I use regular paper I trace the lines on the back so I can see them ( I hold the paper up to the window to see the lines to trace)

The fabric goes on the back side of the paper.  The pieces are all numbered so they are added in order.    Here is the first piece.

The next piece .

The purple piece goes on the blue one flipped over like this.

Then I pin the pieces in place.

now they are sewn on from the other side (the front of the paper) On the line between A1 and A2

I use a very short stitch length.  It make it easier to tear away the paper after the block is finished.

Here is the seam on the other side.

Now I press it open

Next I do some trimming. Flip it back over so I can see the line between A2 and A3

Fold on that line

The fabric that is exposed I trim to 1/4 inch.

DSCN7506DSCN7507

Now open the paper up again to add the next piece of fabric.

With this pattern I found that if I cut the fabric in 2.5 inch wide strips I have very little fabric waste.

It looks like there will be a lot of waste but it will be used.   Sew the piece on the same as before.

DSCN7510DSCN7520

Then flip it over and press.

Now turn it over again so I can trim it.

Fold the paper back against the next line (between A3 and A4) and trim off the excess leaving 1/4 inch.

DSCN7516 DSCN7517DSCN7518

That piece I cut off is big enough to be used as one of the pieces in another block.

Now repeat the steps with a piece of purple fabric.

DSCN7519DSCN7521DSCN7522DSCN7523

And continue adding and trimming the same way.

DSCN7524 DSCN7525 DSCN7526 DSCN7527 DSCN7528 DSCN7529 DSCN7530 DSCN7531 DSCN7532

Now it looks pretty crazy but it looks better when it is trimmed.

Now flip again and fold back the bottom section

Trim

DSCN7535 DSCN7536 DSCN7537

Add the last piece and trim

DSCN7538 DSCN7539 DSCN7540 DSCN7541
This is all the trimming from one block.

after all that the paper is torn away….it comes off pretty easily because the stitching perforates the paper and makes it tear along the stitch line.

Here is what the pattern for the palm blocks looks like.

This is done the same way as the border blocks .

It really is not hard once you get a few blocks done it becomes a lot clearer.The paper gives you the exact line to stitch on so the piecing is very accurate!    and for long point like these it keeps the fabric from stretching.   It really is worth learning to do.

I had hoped to get all the blocks joined tonight but I decided to wait until tomorrow because someone needed attention.

26 thoughts on “Paper Foundation Piecing Finished

OK, now you have that down pat, can I send you a big project that needs paper piecing and only 121 different blocks? LOL!
    I think Teddy is wondering when you are going to start a new quilt for him.

2. glendajean says:

Morning Tim and thanks so much for such a great tutorial, you really took us through that step by step with great clear photos. It took me ages to get my head around sewing from the back LOL. Cheers Glenda

Oh boy, I am exhausted just looking at the photos. And quite an inspection job for Teddy, no wonder he’s in need of affection maintenance. Phew!

4. kathi says:

So lovely of you to take all those photos to show everyone the process- especially when you really wanted to get that top finished. The time you shared with us was/is much appreciated. Also glad that (but not surprised) that the priorities put Teddy on top.. After all, could anyone resist that sweet little face?

5. Marilyn says:

Congratulations Tim on a job well done. I have done a bit of paper piecing but my results were not as good as yours. The tutorial will be beneficial to others when they do this pattern.

6. Cathey says:

This tutorial is clear and helpful. Thank you for taking time to make it for us. As always, your work is wonderful.

7. Emily says:

A great little tutorial! Seeing it done really helps! One day I will try it out!!

8. Cindy says:

Great tutorial, Tim! The pictures, along with the step-by-step instructions make this “do-able”, for those of us who are visual learners. Thanks!

9. Pam G. says:

What an amazing tutorial – so detailed. Makes me want to try paper piecing again. I did it once & really struggled with it. The quilt is so beautiful – just like all your work!

10. Rose in VT says:

Wonderful tutorial Tim. I started a Judy Niemeyer pattern a few days ago, and am loving the visual effect. But if you already know how to paper or foundation piece, it wastes a lot of fabric. Your method is more efficient. I’ve also done several George Sisciliano works, so with Judy’s
    it’s nice to be able to actually see the pieces I’m working with.
    Teddy really had that ‘I’m being neglected here’ look down pat!

I was always reluctant to do paper piecing because of the waste ……It does cut down on it the way I show….I might even do another one 🙂 Teddy is a real character

11. Carolyn McCord says:

I love it!! It was good of you to put the tutorial in too.

12. Lorij says:

When you have quilted it. I can see it winning first place in a show. Teddy looks like he thinks so too 😊.

13. Sharron Evans says:

Tim, I really appreciate your tutorial. Just knowing I can come back to it any time I want is a relief. I don’t know how to copy the pattern at the appropriate size. It either prints out smaller or incredibly larger. I will gladly pay for the patterns. Thank you again and rub Teddy’s ears for me.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )