Using up the extras

Rather than put away the extras from the batik quilt top

I decided to make another top.

I cut the extra yardage into pieces 11″ x 12.5″

I stacked up 3 and cut the stack like this. (the cutting is random and different on every stack)

Then rearrange the pieces into 3 blocks like this

Then sew them together …..here are 3 blocks ready to sew and 3 blocks done

The finished blocks are not ever going to be perfect with all the corners matching because of the angles of the cuts.   I am not bothered by that at all.   This is meant to be a quick project and very random.  When I finish the sewing and pressing I trim the blocks to 10 inch squares.

I didn’t work on it long and I have 9 blocks done

I have enough fabric to make 24 blocks.    That makes a quilt about 40 x 60 …..I think I will add a border to that to make a larger quilt.

It is a quick way to make a quilt top and a really great change of pace for the very fussy accurate paper piecing I just finished

22 thoughts on “Using up the extras

1. Ruth says:

Great idea. I’ll have to try it out.

2. Jaydee Price says:

Nice I like the way you think. Keep up the creative work.

3. Deb says:

A lovely stress reliever! 😄

4. Sandra B says:

What a cool process!!
    I can see using this method to make a quilt backing….I have started piecing my quilt backs, and this would definitely go more quickly than some I have done! I was looking through some fat quarters just this week, and realized that some probably would work best if used in a quilt back because I am not quite as enthusiastic about them as when they were purchased, but I still like the colors in them. I hope that makes sense!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

It would sure work for a backing…..I would not do it myself because a pieced backing is reallllly hard to hand quilt , but for machine it would be great

5. Patricia Belyea says:

Brilliant. Takes care of leftover
    fabric and is fun to make!

6. kemosabaycampground says:

Great idea.

7. […] I finished up what will be the center of the quilt that I started yesterday. (see that post here) […]

8. Donna K says:

Nice Tim!
    I was inspired by your wonky nine patch a ways back. I had a gift cert for a shop by me for $25 and same shop had a sale on batik fat packs which are 12 FQ color coordinated. I had to add a couple FQ as I was sewing as it kind of evolved in to a bit more.
    So, I tried your method. It was a project between intense projects which is what I was saving it for. There was a bit of a learning curve getting them to pretty much match up. By the last few blocks I had that offset match up pretty darn good!
    It was lots of fun to do, thanks. I like the idea above of stacking 3 and then cutting wonky. Makes the blocks more diverse.
    I’ll try to send a pic sometime. It’s just a top at this point.
    Quilt on!

9. Lorij says:

I like this. It looks l a scrappy quilt top. I think it’s pretty. Tops like this are fun and aren’t real fussy. You did a great job so far.😄

10. Lorij says:

When you quilt it that will ice the Cake! Your quilting makes everything fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. […] I Finished up the next Batik Top.     I posted a few days ago about how I made the center blocks ( https://timquilts.com/2015/07/14/using-up-the-extras/) […]

Comments