Marking

I most often use a #2 pencil to mark quilts but I have heard good things about these markers from quilters I respect.  I decided to give them a try.

I am using the markers to mark the once inch square grid on the corners.

I am using the gray marker so it is hard to see in the pictures.

After all the quilting is finished the quilt will be washed and the marker should wash out.

Two of the corners are finished.   Here are a few more pictures (click to enlarge)

Teddy is holding it down well

Here is the pile of extra fabric  that I am using in the leftover quilt.

DSCN7846DSCN7795

Leftovers from this top

If the weather is good I hope to get some gardening done tomorrow.  The weeds don’t ever take a break

23 thoughts on “Marking

1. Kathy says:

What marker is this? Any problems with sunlight like the blue washout markers?

see the picture , you might need to reload the page …..crayola washable (not sure why the pictures of the markers didn’t show up on the email feed) …..since it is the first time I have used them i can’t tell you anything except that I can buy a box of 10 of these for less than one of the blue wash out fabric markers. I have never had any problem with the blue water soluble markers (never any sunlight issues or problems with them washing out) but they are expensive and wear out fast so I am trying these

• Kathy says:

Have the pictures now. I will be getting them to add to my tools of the trade. Thanks.

Glad they came through….strange that they were not in the email…….right now is the time to buy them because of back to school sales…..a friend got a pack for 1.49 ….I paid 3 dollars

2. Mrs. Plum says:

Odd that the first two photos did not come through the email. I was surprised to see them on your post when I clicked on comment. Hope they work well for you. Love, love love your black, red, and white quilt.

Happy gardening!

3. kathi says:

Hi Tim-
    Don’t recall if you mentioned it in a previous post or as my sweet sister used to say “my remembral doesn’t work very well any more but I just found your gorgeous “Snowflake” in the Holiday Issue of Better Homes and Gardens. The minute I saw it, I knew it had to be your design! So beautiful and nice to see that a whole new group of admirers will be exposed to your art. Congratulations on another masterpiece!

4. Nancy says:

I have used the Crayola markers in the past with no problems also.
    As a side note, I just read Primitive Gatherings blog and they announced a new BOM – Latimer Farms. 🙂 Teddy looks a bit pale without one of his colorful scarves.

5. susie Q says:

The leftover quilt needs a new name.

6. Denice says:

I used the markers in the past with good results till I started hearing horror stories about them not washing out. You do need to wash them out as soon as possible. The warning stories caused me not to use them anymore. I piece and quilt by hand and didn’t want to risk ruining something I worked a long time on just at the end of the process. My suggestion would be to use them with caution and good luck!

7. Susan Steele says:

Tim, do your pencil marks wash out easily? Do you ever find them smearing a bit? I used pencil on a top I started in 1979 and I plan to get it out and rework it this year…do you think my old marks will wash out? Love how this quit is progressing! It has a very retro feel for me..harkens back to the 70’s…I just love it!
    Susan in Central VA

they always wash out for me….but i mark very lightly….I use an inexpensive disposable mechanical pencil HB#2 no problems with smearing but I imagine it depends on the pencil

8. Lori Loff says:

What kind of marker is that?

Your quilt is wonderful.

9. Rose in Vt says:

Wow, I’m really looking forward to trying these. I’m a huge fan of the blue washout markers, but they don’t show up on some darker fabrics.
    It takes me usually 2 to 3 years to finish a hand quilted quilt, so I have to start remarking the lines as they fade about a year and a half in. Have you tried other colors of these? Don’t think I’d use a large project as a first test…:)

10. Loretta says:

I have been using washable markers to mark my quilts for several years now and have never had a problem with them not washing out, even after the marks have been there for months! 🙂

11. audrey says:

Very interesting to use the markers! I’ve wondered how well they really do wash out. Guess I will wait and see how it turns out for you!

12. Lorij says:

Hi Tim, I think a good name for the top would be Teddy’s Design. Seems fitting because he really seems to be trying to tell you how to make it 😄. The finished top I still think should be called Dancing Diamonds. Ohhhh, They are both so beautiful. The colors are just absolutely Awesome!!!!!

Comments