a finish

I finished the hand quilting on this yesterday.

I added the binding today .   I used 2.5″ strips of matching fabric, machine stitched to the top, folded to the back and hand stitched.

I have read about many different ways that people deal with all the length of the binding strips.   Some people roll the binding on a tube or spool, they even sell gadgets to keep it together.    I don’t understand the problem myself.      I throw the binding on the floor to the right side of my chair and the quilt is on the left and I have never had any problem with it twisting or tangling.

Here it is with the binding sewn on before turning it under and stitching.

While I stitch I often feel as if I am being watched.

I marked the corners with crayola markers

I washed the quilt in the machine on the delicate cycle and dried it in the dryer……all the marking washed out fine.

DSCN7878 DSCN7877

Finished size is 79″ square.

48 thoughts on “a finish

Nice! I’m sure Teddy was just trying to figure out when you would be done with his latest quilt.

2. Ellen Heath says:

That is the best Teddy photo yet! The quilt is pretty swell, too.

3. Nancy says:

In my mind, it will be hard to out-do this one! Just great! Say, Homespun Hearth is also offering Latimer Farms as a BOM. Lots of pieces!

4. Marilyn says:

Another wahoo moment! It’s one of my favourites… Teddy too!

5. outstanding quilt..I love the fact it is so entirely unique!

Thanks! The most fun I had in a long time picking fabrics ……and only one was bought specifically for it…the rest were leftovers (I always buy too much )

6. Tim, if you ever decide to sell this quilt, please let me know!

7. Stevii says:

I like the dump method for binding also. Always works!

8. Angela says:

You seem to think that life is simple, right? 🙂
    Beautiful work, you are the man. And Teddy is, of course, the dog.

Tim, what is our count this year — I mean the quilt count for you, Teddy and Team Latimer? And what is this about Latimer Farms? What is a BOM? Is this quilt speak?

10. Debbie ballard says:

What a fantastic quilt…..and teddy is great too. You amaze me with how much you get done.

11. Nerida Duncan says:

Another aaaaaah moment. Teddy looks on encouragingly from the wings as you hit the home stretch. 🙂

12. Ann says:

It’s such an attractive quilt. And Teddy is quite adorable. Thanks for the tip about Crayola markers. I’m going to try them.

13. Alex says:

Teddy – your own personal paparazzi 🙂 The fury 4 legged type are the best.

14. Lorij says:

Beautiful. Of course you know that Teddy must keep an eye on you😊.

15. Lorij says:

Beautiful!!!! Of course you know that Teddy must keep an eye on you😊.

16. This is beautiful, I wish to someday learn how to hand quilt correctly, unfortunately haven’t had any luck finding any classes in my area and am trying my best to teach myself, your quilts, your appliqué and quilting inspires me to keep trying. Thanks you for all you share with us. You are an inspiration and Teddy is the icing on the quilt!!

17. Great job! As for handling the binding–I’ve been known to accidentally roll my chair caster on top of it when I let it dangle to the floor… It’s a problem!

18. Nice work, Tim! It looks great!

19. LynnC says:

Tim, What a special quilt! Your design is so graphic and bold, executed in strong prints, and supported with lovely hand quilting. I especially like the way the design is so forceful, yet the background fabric is equally important to the effect of the overall result. Wonderful work and so true to your style.

20. Jeanette says:

Really like this one, Tim !Your choice of colors and pattern is great….

21. audrey says:

Exactly how I do my own binding.:) Your quilt turned out to be fabulous! This is a very stylish quilt!

22. Lorij says:

Kristen, BOM is block of the month. The Latimer Farms is a brand name for a fabric that someone has designed.

23. Mrs. Plum says:

This is one of my favorites, Tim! Congrats on your finish. Good to know the gray marker worked. Teddy is adorable, as always.

24. Kay says:

Beautiful quilt and I agree about the sling it on the floor method of binding and just holding it in position as you stitch – pinning is a waste of time and pins!

Comments