transplanting and a bit of piecing

I did a bit of gardening this weekend.   The forecast is for much cooler weather the next week or more  (in the 50’s at night and 70 day) so it is great for transplanting.  Almost as soon as I finished we got an inch of rain which is a lot for Lansing , the average for the entire month of Aug is 3.25 inches.

The old garden is so jam-packed that I plan to buy very little for the new one.   I will move most over from the old.    I moved 11 roses yesterday.  They were tucked in between so many other plants that they were hardly visible and actually suffering from lack of space and sun so they were pretty small.  I pruned them a lot too so that they had less foliage to support while they grow new roots.

They don’t look like much now but I have high hopes for next year.

When fighting with roses it is probably a good idea to wear long sleeves.   I really didn’t notice the damage I did to myself until I was sewing later.

DSCN7948 DSCN7947

I also transplanted a viburnum, a hydrangea, some hostas, ferns, A nine bark, and a few seedling perennials around the few shrubs I left from the previous mess.    I have a lot more to go but here is the start of that area. and no noticeable holes left in the old garden.

Remember what that looked like in July?

What a difference some green grass makes.    The seed grew fast even though it really wasn’t the right time of year to plant it.

I did get some hand quilting done….I’ll try to spread out the quilts for pictures soon.    I also did some piecing on my hex quilt.

Teddy is glad that the gardening is done for the day

Happy quilting

28 thoughts on “transplanting and a bit of piecing

1. janet says:

Watching the garden and quilts grow is such fun.
    At the risk of sounding like your grandmother…with those rose thorns, be sure your tetanus shot is up to date.

2. Glennis Salls says:

The new garden is starting to look great. I am amazed at the amount of work you can accomplish while I struggle along. A few years ago I was scratched one long scratch by a rose bush. tthe scratch never tans..

3. Cathy Odle says:

I purchased a pair of rose gloves at Lowe’s last year for less than $20. They are worth every cent I paid. Suggest you get a pair next Spring. Have fun in the garden.

4. Lindsay Pavel says:

I always look forward to your garden updates. What a beautiful hex quilt. I hope and believe you will start a trend. Isn’t it fun to make a quilt from the scraps of another quilt!

5. kathi says:

the garden looks amazing — and no one would believe it’s the same area you showed us in July. you are one talented guy!

6. JudieBee says:

Yikes Tim! Really, get a pair of rose gloves as mentioned in Cathy’s post. They are made for roses with a gauntlet that protects my forearms and of a particular weave that repels nearly all thorns. Leather gloves are of a different class! You can trust me on this. I’m a nurse and a master gardener. We’d not like it if you were not well due to an infection.

7. JudieBee says:

Oh, and your garden looks beautiful!

8. Jaydee Price says:

Roses can be mean. If you have a Aloevera plant cut a leaf and split it and rub it all over the scratches and it takes the fire out.

9. The Frugal Quilter says:

You out me to shame. Puritan work ethic! Amazing what you can accomplish and let’s not forget that you also Work ?!???
    Truly an inspiration.

10. Alex says:

Tim, how do you keep your edges between the lawn and garden so crisp?

11. Your new garden looks wonderful. Isn’t it great to already have a “nursery stock” to transfer over.

Keep fighting the good fight, Tim, garden warrior. LOVE the border on the quilt, love it.

13. Your new yard is looking great. Springtime will be beautiful in both yards next year!

14. audrey says:

A true gardeners dream, getting to clean up the old garden without waste and having a good start on the new one.:)

15. Lorij says:

This will help,
    A good washing with some witch hazel and after dry put some coconut oil oil on your arms. The witch hazel helps keep down infection and so will the coconut oil plus the coconut oil will help the scratches to heal and not be rough and scaley.
    The yard is beautiful and Teddy looks happy 😊.

16. trudy ware says:

I love your blogs but have not received anything since 8-24-hope you and teddy are well. Keep me on your mailing list.

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )