This is post number 1000. I had no idea when I started blogging in 2011 that I would even make it to 100 posts but here I am at 1000 posts and over 1,650,000 views from 156 countries. I didn’t realize I had so much to say 🙂 or that anyone would want to read it. Thanks to everyone for following what I do!
Now back to quilting.
I finished my crazy hex quilt top (click pictures to enlarge)
I think it looks better when I erase the background
I have enough of the lighter fabrics left to piece together for a backing
This isn’t exactly how I will do it but just a test to see if I have enough, they will need to be rearranged to distribute the colors better. I do not like to piece backing because it makes it so much harder to hand quilt. It becomes harder because I can’t see the seams on the back and they are much harder to quilt when you can’t really plan the stitches around them. These pieces are pretty big so there wont be that many seams and I think it will look nice.
I posted this picture a few days ago.
The fabrics for this are part of a kit. They are all precut and in little bundles.
Being precuts you might imagine that they are pretty accurate. That however is not the case. I taped off an area on my mat to show the correct size of one piece. The red one is the correct size and the blue pieces show how much variation in size there is. (click pictures to enlarge)
The kit is intended to make this
I have some vintage star quilt tops, made from kits, that are so distorted that they are unquiltable and will need remaking. I have always assumed the distortion was all due to inaccurate piecing. Now I know that is not entirely the case. With all the pieces different sizes it is unrealistic to think that the quilt will be flat and accurate. I do plan to finish it…..but I am not going to make it a star…I will post what I make soon.
and thank you for reading!