one thousand posts

This is post number 1000.    I had no idea when I started blogging in 2011 that I would even make it to 100 posts but here I am at 1000 posts and over 1,650,000 views from 156 countries.    I didn’t  realize I had so much to say 🙂   or that anyone would want to read it.    Thanks to everyone for following what I do!

Now back to quilting.

I finished my crazy hex quilt top (click pictures to enlarge)

I think it looks better when I erase the background

I have enough of the lighter fabrics left to piece together for a backing

This isn’t exactly how I will do it but just a test to see if I have enough, they will need to be rearranged to distribute the colors better.    I do not like to piece backing because it makes it so much harder to hand quilt.    It becomes harder because I can’t see the seams on the back and they are much harder to quilt when you can’t really plan the stitches around them.     These pieces are pretty big so there wont be that many seams and I think it will look nice.

I posted this picture a few days ago.

The fabrics for this are part of a kit.   They are all precut and in little bundles.

Being precuts you might imagine that they are pretty accurate.     That however is not the case.   I taped off an area on my mat to show the correct size of one piece.    The red one is the correct size and the blue pieces show how much variation in size there is. (click pictures to enlarge)

The kit is intended to make this

I have some vintage star quilt tops, made from kits,  that are so distorted that they are unquiltable and will need remaking. I have always assumed the distortion was all due to inaccurate piecing.    Now I know that is not entirely the case.    With all the pieces different sizes it is unrealistic to think that the quilt will be flat and accurate.   I do plan to finish it…..but I am not going to make it a star…I will post what I make soon.

Happy quilting
and thank you for reading!

62 thoughts on “one thousand posts

1. Jan Marriott says:

well done Tim, I always enjoy your posts

2. katechiconi says:

Congratulations! Your popularity is well deserved!

3. Congratulations! Great job, and very prolific. 🙂

4. Cathie King says:

Thank you and Teddy. I always look forward to receiving your posts. They are always informative and have helped this novice quilter a lot.
    Please keep them coming.

Congratulations Tim! I’m sure you had no idea you’d become a fool for bloggin’. I know you’ve brought so much knowledge, not to mention quilt joy, to your readers, a cozy, erudite corner in the quilting universe.

Separately, some of that light blue fabric you have looks almost Lancaster blue-ish. How does it compare to the authentic Lancaster Blue in your opinion? Thanks.

6. Carol Adams says:

Always inspirational! I hope that you find time to write a book too. Congratulations on your blog milestone.

7. Deb says:

Glad you take time to post for I enjoy the flowers ,the quilts and Teddy!! I know what you mean about precut not being accurate, I ran into the same problem with a kit that was vintage , ended up making a different size quilt so I could recut the precuts all the same size.

8. Charlene says:

I enjoy your pictures and Teddy’ s adventures. Hope you continue for many, many more posts. You’ve taught me so much.

9. Sharon in Galesburg says:

Keep the posts coming……if I don’t hear from you in a couple of days, I start to wonder….where’s Tim and Teddy? I enjoy the pictures of your quilts, gardens, new adventure next door and Teddy. Here’s to 1000 more posts!

1000 posts and 1000 quilts left to quilt! Congrats!

11. Cheri says:

1,000 posts is impressive! Thanks for hanging in there with your blog. I so enjoy reading about your quilting adventures, being inspired by your gardening, and getting a Teddy fix! Too bad about those precuts. I’ll bet your Plan B will be even better than a broken lone star.
    Cheri

12. Mrs. Plum says:

Thanks for all of your posts, Tim. I really like the blue border on crazy hex quilt.

13. Jeanette says:

Congrats, Tim. WThankse all think you are very special. your talents are many and you make us feel inadequate with all you do and all you get accomplished. We all want a part of Teddy, also…..Thanks

14. susie Q says:

You get BIG points for discovering that kits can be source of crazy quilts!

15. audrey says:

Wow! That’s exciting! You are an inspiration to us all.:)

16. Congratulations on this milestone post! I really like the way your hexagon quilt turned out. Looking forward to seeing many more posts of your gardening and quilting!

17. Jo le Cheminant says:

Congratulations to you and Teddy on your milestone. i always enjoy reading your posts.

18. helen says:

Hello, Tim! Congratulations for the 1000!!
    Your posts are always very interesting in quilting, patchwork and gardening! (And about Teddy, of course!!)
    I am always learning from you.
    The new quilt you made is stunning, an explosion of colors, and remembers me of the kaleidoscope I adooooored when I was a child!
    I have the impression the design is moving.
    I experienced that precuts are a l w a y s inaccurate, the actual, too!
    I like pieced backings, I can use fabrics for them I don’t like too much, or I bought once and don’t know what I was thinking then… but you are right about hand quilting on it! It’s more difficult.
    The Broken Star quilt looks wonderful, and what I like on the picture of the kit are the walls covered with newspaper supposedly for better isolation. (Or it’s a vintage wall-paper?)
    Best wishes and hi to Teddy!

19. Maureen says:

Congratulations on your 1000th post! Love reading them and seeing your projects.

20. Rose in Vt says:

Wow, congrats on the 1k milestone! I got out a premarked whole cloth top last fall to use on a pieced top I’d made. I was horrified to see that it was over 6″ short on the edge, and 4″ short on the length. I’d bought it over 20 years ago and never used it – can I call it ‘vintage’ now? Anyway, it fits the new top so I’ve been hand quilting it (not at your rate of speed), for a reversible quilt. I’m definitely feeling those seams underneath as I quilt even though the piecing is large hst’s.
    But until you mentioned the vintage diamonds being so far off, I’d had no idea those old precuts could be so far off. I’d thought my whole cloth top was a fluke.

I think it must be a lot more common that they are off like that…..I even find a lot of variation in new precuts. sometimes a 5 inch square is a bit larger and a bit off of square…..and jelly roll sizes arent always exactly 2.5 either

21. Lorij says:

Hi Tim, congratulations on your 1000th post. Teddy looks like he’s smiling in the first photo and serious in the second one.
    A while back I asked you about piecing diamond shapes. I discovered the same issue with the ones I have too. They were precut and are not all the same size. I found that if I xput 3 or 4 of them together they look okay and lay flat. 6 did okay but, the 8 that are supposed to make up the stars don’t work at all. I’ve been thinking of how to make them all and how to make a top. There are too many to recut. It’s a good way to make a pretty unique top 😊.
    Has the weather started changing there yet? It’s still hot here although not in the hundreds but close ☺.
    Give Teddy a rub for me.
    Happy quilting

22. Bertha Mallard says:

Congratulations on your 1000th post. Keep up the good work.

23. norma says:

Love your hexagon quilt top. Congratulations on your 1000th post

24. Angela says:

Tim and Teddy, I enjoy reading about your escapades in all your activities. This is one of my favorite blogs and always puts a smile on my face.
    Recently, I have mentioned your blog to several quilters, so your popularity will keep growing.
    You both stay busy and happy and tell us all about it.
    Thank you.

25. Margaret says:

Love everything about your blog, Tim!
    Congrats on post #1000 … looking forward to the next 1000.

26. Linda Herzog says:

I am so glad that you didn’t stop at 100. I follow a number of blogs through Bloglovin, but yours is the one I always check out first. I totally enjoy seeing what you will be up to next and gain much inspiration from seeing what you are up to. Thanks for sharing.

27. Terry says:

What??? There were cutting issues with the kit? I wouldn’t have thought that could have been the problem! Congratulations on 1000 posts. We should be having a virtual party to celebrate! Teddy is absolutely the perfect addition to the stunning stop you just finished. ALWAYS enjoy your blog!

28. Darla says:

Your crazy hex just keeps getting more and more amazing!
    So glad I found your blog…hoping for many thousands more posts here!

29. Louise says:

Congratulations on 1000 posts! I always enjoy seeing your quilts, flowers and Teddy!

30. averyclaire says:

Congrats on your 1000 posts. Your garden has really taken a lovely shape. It is amazing to see the progress you made from beginning to now. Thanks for sharing all those pics. Love your little supervisor. The hexagon quilt is amazing…to think it is out of scraps so to speak! It was very interesting how those broken star pieces just don’t seem to fit. Can you imagine someone who was not as savvy as you are trying to put that thing together!!! And last of all…I really like that “pickle dish” quilt you finished quilting (I think that is what it is called.). It an old pattern but still full of charm and color!

31. Louise says:

I just found your blog recently, and have been catching up on many of your 999 back posts. I want to thank you for writing about finishing vintage quilt tops and then washing and drying them in the machine. It’s inspired me to help a friend assemble blocks that her great grandmother hand pieced. They’ve been languishing for almost 100 years, unused, and now they will have a lovely, useful place in her home instead of hiding in a drawer.

This is the first time I’ve ever sewn vintage fabric, and without your writing and photos, I would have never attempted it! It has been so helpful to see your before and after photos, to recognize that blocks that aren’t perfect can still be adapted and used. Tomorrow we will wash the little lap quilt in my friend’s washing machine and I’m confident that the fabric will hold up just fine. We’ll use your Dawn technique to help with dye bleeding.

Now if I just had a little dog to help with final testing!

Thank you again for sharing all your success stories and beautiful quilts.

Comments