New York Suspension

I finished the quilt.

I started it way back in April of 2013  Here is the post  https://timquilts.com/2013/04/30/suspension-bridge-piecing/

I am calling it New York Suspension.   It is a sort of combination of the Suspension Bridge pattern

suspension-bridge

and New York Beauty

5B-9D-1B-461-Dmwc066_1

I made it with reproduction fabrics.   I used cotton batting  and washed and dried it to give it the crinkled vintage look.

When I made the top I added a 2 inch strip around the edge, that strip became the binding.  I left that strip unquilted.

Next I folded back the strip and trimmed the batting and backing.

then I folded it over to the seam and pressed it

then folded it to the back and pinned and hand stitched it to the backing.

DSCN8076DSCN8077

Here are a few of the blocks to show the hand quilting.

DSCN8088 DSCN8089 DSCN8090

Of course Teddy tested it

He approves.

Here is the back.

I used about 1200 yards of hand quilting thread and it took what seems like forever.    I can’t remember how long the piecing took but I estimate 300 hours in hand quilting.   The finished size is 71 x 92.

I am not sure what I will do with it.  Most of my quilts I keep and they become part of my trunk shows.     I might sell this one……..
if Teddy lets me

56 thoughts on “New York Suspension

1. judiebee says:

Lovely. Thank you.

2. Ingrid says:

Your work is just gorgeous! And I love that Tesdy inspects all of it!

3. John putnam says:

And I am calling it gorgeous! Absolutely beautiful. You are indeed very talented.

4. Such intricate piecing on this one and the quilting makes it so special. A very appropriate share for this date.

5. Marilyn says:

Tim this is very quickly becoming another favorite to me of the quilts you have made. I am sure you would have no problem selling it provided if Teddy (and you) could part with it. LOL Who knows maybe this Canuck might be interested!

6. Linda Ecklund says:

Love it! Would like to see one of your trunk shows. Please post some upcoming dates!

7. Cathi says:

Oh, my – it is absolutely stunning!! I love the pattern and the quilting is, as usual, fabulous!

8. Julie Porter says:

Absolutely magnificent. Impressive.

9. Ann says:

Simply gorgeous!! I love everything about it-the pattern, the fabrics, the colors, and the incredible hand quilting!
    Give Teddy a pat for me 🙂

10. JanineMarie says:

This is one of my favorites of all the quilts you’ve done. Beautiful colors, design and quilting! I think it might be hard to part with.

11. Karen says:

Today was a good day to showcase “NY” quilt designs as we remember 9/11/01.

12. darlynn says:

your usual and customary wonderful job!
    thanks for sharing….

13. Sharon in Galesburg says:

That’s just gorgeous! It would be my favorite one. The quilting is beautiful. And of course, the little man posing with it is just the cutest of all time. Well done, my man😊

I will send my mailing address soon so you do not have to store that quilt!

15. lilquilter says:

I love it, too! Especially how the outer sawtooth border strips seem to float on the edge – quite a different look when the sashing and cornerstones are of the same fabric. Unique and awesome! I think if you were to auction that quilt, there would be a bidding war.
    😉

16. Sandra B says:

This quilt is awesome!! Love everything about it….the pattern, the fabrics, and the quilting!!
    Teddy is looking so handsome!
    Thanks for sharing…cannot wait to see what you are working on next….

17. Rebecca says:

Beautiful, but then I’m very partial to reproduction fabrics!

18. Rose in Vt says:

Wow Tim. You’ve really put the Michigan touch on that New York Beauty. Couldn’t resist the play on words, since it’s so appropriate.
    Teddy sure approves.

19. kemosabaycampground says:

I love how that turned out. I went back to the original post to see how you pieced it. That was really interesting.

20. Nerida Duncan says:

Its fabulous Tim.

21. Marg says:

I love everything about this quilt! the fabric choices are awesome. I love the old look, the way it crinkles. I think it needs a home here in one of our Canadian winters! Hahaha

22. Great great quilt – thank you for sharing. Xx

23. Sissy Malone says:

The quilt is breathtaking. The design, the fabric scale, the color combinations, the sashing beautifully executed. The quilting unbelievably beautiful. Your creativity is awe inspiring.

24. norma says:

Absolutely beautiful!

25. Darla says:

What a marvelous quilt…made even more special by all that beautifully executed hand quilting!
    As always…you are an inspiration!

Hope you at least enter some shows with this one before you sell it. Take some time to really appreciate this masterpiece that you have created!

26. Lorij says:

Very beautiful quilting, pretty colors. And, Teddy makes everything look better. A pat for Teddy please. Thanks

27. Cathy says:

Do you sell your patterns?

Comments