Finished

I finished the hex quilt.

Here it is after the quilting was finished.

Next I trim off the extra batting and backing.

DSCN8157DSCN8158

I cut the binding on the bias.  I never trust my math so I test the fit before sewing it on.

I sew it on to the front then turn it to the back and hand stitch it. Then Teddy checks it 🙂

Here it is finished before washing.

DSCN8164l

I always wash finished quilts.    I get them dirty as I work on them and I like the feel and look of a washed quilt better.  They are softer and drape better and they look more inviting to me.    For this quilt I tried a new (to me) batting.    Hobbs Tuscany Wool cotton blend

I don’t follow the washing instructions (rebel quilter) .

It says to use cold water and to dry flat.   I used warm water and dried in the dryer.   Why?   It is so much easier to use the machine.    I actually don’t mind if they shrink….I like the crinkles that causes.     the quilt finished at 64″ x 84″ before washing and it is 60″ x 80″ after washing and drying, about 5% shrink.

Here it is after washing and drying.

DSCN8181DSCN8173

I did the hand quilting with Perle cotton thread in assorted colors.

Here is a post about how I do big stitch quilting https://timquilts.com/2013/05/05/more-on-big-stitch-quilting-and-a-video/

Here are a few closer pics of the quilting.

DSCN8186 DSCN8189 DSCN8188 DSCN8187

I plan to hang this one so I will need to add a hanging sleeve but other than that it is time to go back to some of the other unfinished quilts in the line.

42 thoughts on “Finished

1. Looks terrific, Tim. Love what you did with leftovers! Glad it is Teddy approved. 😀

2. Deb says:

It’s gorgeous! I love the soft like after washing.

3. Jaye says:

Especially like how the deep teal border sets off the design.

4. JanineMarie says:

Thanks for sharing about your washing/drying and the change in size. That is so helpful! Looks like a batting I’d like to try. I really like how your quilt looks after washing.

5. Ann Genaske says:

How was the cotton/wool to work with? Will you use it again? Thank you for your input, Tim. And as always for sharing your artistry

6. Suzanne hardebeck says:

Very striking. Great Wall quilt

7. katechiconi says:

Another really great quilt! I’m glad you kept the sides shaped, it’s so effective and much nicer than squaring them off.

8. Love seeing how this quilt progressed, and I like the way the patchwork back turned out with the zigzag side treatment. A great finish!

9. Pat says:

I tried wool batting for a long skinny Christmas tree wall hanging. I found that the batting was so soft that it would not hang nicely. I ended up doing heavy big stitch echo quilting (1/2 inch apart) with perle cotton over the entire quilt. I am finally satisfied with the hanging. Also I found that after I washed it, I had to go over it and pull off all the “hairs” of batting that came out through the fabric. I’m not sure if I will ever use wool batting again. However, I do have to say it won a 2nd place ribbon in our quilt show! That was nice! Also it was easy to quilt through. So, that’s my two cents worth. 🙂

Wool is my favorite…..Hobb’s Tuscany wool. it quilts beautifully, I have never had any of the fibers migrate through the fabric, it washes perfectly with very minimal shrink, It hangs great ( I used it in my Tree of life wall hanging that won the American Quilters Society best hand workmanship award) it is light weight , easy to work with, It is my preference for most quilts

10. Helenanne Judisch says:

Love it. Looks great. Appreciate your comments and the opportunity to learn from your experience with that wool cotton blend batting.

Excellent! And Teddy apparently approves so it’s all good!

That looks great Tim — love it.

13. Lindsay Pavel says:

Spectacular!

14. audrey says:

I love the pic of the stitching from the back of the quilt–just amazing to see the texture! The random smaller pinwheels in the front are very sparky too. Great job on this one!

15. Becky in VA says:

Another great Quilt by Tim – hope your back is much better!

16. jean says:

beautifully done, as always! thank you for sharing!

17. Dee W says:

This is Awesome. It’s just Teddy’s colors, he looks so handsome on it.

18. Lorij says:

The quilt turned out beautifully. I really like the shaped edges.
    So glad you’re up and about again. Give Teddy a run for me.

19. Mary says:

Beautiful quilt! I looked for info. on your site but couldn’t find it even though I know you wrote about it before. How much Dawn liquid do you use for wahing the quilt and how many color sheets? Have you shown how you handle the binding on the <90 degree corners? I just finished a red/white/black quilt and there are many different reds in it. Although I prewashed the reds I am concerned about color bleeding. Thanks for any info. you can provide.

2 tablespoons of dawn if a load , but you need a regular washer, not one of the new front loading high efficiency that use hardly any water….none of the color sheets….the dawn takes care of it for less money

20. Mary says:

Thanks so much. I think I will go to the laundromat as they have larger washers. The ones at my apt. building don’t seem very large. I have heard other quilters say that they bought new top loading washers as the front load ones don’t work for washing quilts. Thanks for the reminder.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )