Easily Distracted

Sometimes (often) I start to do one thing and end up doing something totally different.

I realized on Friday that I almost missed the deadline to enter a quilt in the Phoenix American Quilters Society show in February.   I read through the categories and decided to enter my Rose Quilt.    I needed to get a picture of it hanging to use for the entry and one close up picture.   In order to do that I needed to do some unpacking that has been waiting for me (more about that later).    It was wrinkled so I had to steam it to get pictures.    Anyway here is the full pic and the close up.

AQS mackintosh fullAQS mackintosh close up

So that being done it was back to unpacking.   I still have a ton of stuff in boxes that needs organizing in the studio.  I started on a tub of fabric and didn’t even get it unpacked before I got distracted by a new plan and started working on a new quilt top.

I have a lot more fabric than I realized.

and nothing in the tub has made it to the shelf yet 😦

I did take a few picture of the garden

most of the flowers in the older part are done for the year.

There are a few things in bloom, Celosia Argentea and Toad lilies are looking good.

DSCN8232 DSCN8231

The Rudbeckia hirta I planted in the new bed by the drive is blooming

DSCN8227 DSCN8226 DSCN8225

My new grass is looking great.  The beds around the edges are filling in with plants as I have time to divide and move things.

So much to do before the end of fall!

But now it is back to work hand quilting.  I have a lot to catch up on!

23 thoughts on “Easily Distracted

1. Still love your Rose quilt… good luck on your entry. The new quilt looks like 3D blocks…really cool!

2. marilee botos says:

Your neighbors must love the view of your yard! I do!

3. Nancy says:

Years ago I cut strips the width of the fabric, sewed them together in threes and cut them in wedges like you have, and pieced them back together in some pattern. Ok- so long ago I’ve forgotten what the final result was except that it ‘read’ green and not a big piece. What i do remember is that it was a quick, fun thing and now you’ve inspired me to try it againI I love the 3D look you are creating.

4. Darla says:

The Rudbeckias are my favorites…a perfect yellow!
    I planted toad llilies once. I was surprised by how small they were. (mail ordered them). They never came back up after the first year.
    . Yours are so cute and healthy looking…makes me want to try planting some again!

5. Marilyn says:

Hi Tim & Teddy, One of your garden pictures has me curious. There is four bright, shiny red baubles attached to wire stakes. I enlarged the picture and still have no idea what they are or what they are used for. Enjoyed your toad lilies too. Mine did not come up again but I suspect the blame lays to the spot where I planted them.

6. katechiconi says:

Seeing that close up of the Rose Quilt has given me a greater appreciation of the extra dimension the quilting has given – texture! The ‘hand’ of the quilt must be quite substantial and pleasantly nubbly compared with the smoothness of the impression you get from a photo. Plus of course you read the colours much better!

7. glendajean says:

Your Rose quilt is still my favourite too Tim. But your new quilt could come in first!!!!!, I just LOVE the colours you are using it is very very exciting. I can not wait to see this amazing quilt grow. Your garden is looking lovely Tim and it must be a joy for the walker byes to enjoy seeing this secret garden grow. I’m sure teddy is enjoying the extra space too. Cheers Glenda Australia.

8. Nerida Duncan says:

Love the effect you are creating with your new quilt Tim. Good luck with the show.

9. Donna Tyra says:

The Rose quilt is very interesting. Good luck at the quilt show.

10. Audrey Waite says:

See you in Phoenix? Let me know if you’re coming to Sedona. Plan to stop by.

11. Ginny Buckles Hardy says:

You are so funny. Distraction is the way of life for the creative…Your yard and garden are beatiful. I love the “Toad” lillies? (purple?)
    Good luck in the show… How could you NOT win….!

12. Rose in Vt says:

Tim: Think of it as a ‘new inspiration’ and not as a ‘distraction.’
    Do you have anything in the AQS Des Moines show? I’m on a car trip to Nevada and Utah, and will be stopping at the show on the way back.
    And I did remember to send in my entries (my two first for AQS).

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )