Old blocks

After hanging quilts I decided that I need to make some window treatments.     I have a lot of old blocks that I know I will never use because they really aren’t the best quality or made well enough to make into a quilt.   The blocks I am using today are from a quilt top that someone decided to wash (and a few mice chewed on years ago).   An antique hand pieced quilt top should never go in the washing machine before it is quilted or it will fall apart.   The fabric frays like crazy.   There are however several blocks that aren’t too far gone.  I decided that I can make them into valances for some windows.

This will go in the living room….one more this size and one twice as wide will go in the bay window.  I’ll post pictures of how they look when I get them done.

You can see how distorted and uneven the blocks are but they will work for the windows.

I haven’t been able to get much hand quilting done  but I did see a magnifier that I think will work for me.  I plan to get it ordered this week.

Teddy is helping to make the backing for the block quilt.   We are using the fabrics from the blocks to make a scrappy back.

He can’t ever decide where to sit when I am sewing so I put his chair in the studio.   Now he spends his time standing and trying to see everything.   I think I will move the chair closer to the window so he can see the yard and the street.

DSCN8296 DSCN8295

20 thoughts on “Old blocks

1. Sandi says:

Hi Tim….hope you show you’re magnifier when you get it…..I wear magnifying glasses over my BIFOCALS when I am quilting….get some weird looks when I’m in a workshop at guild..haha..I just pretend it’s normal, but it works for me!

2. Deb says:

Thanks for the idea on old blocks for a valance.. I have a laundry window that could use something like that.i have some left over blocks that could be used up!

3. Nerida Duncan says:

what a great idea. I was today thinking about curtains and wandering wether I could just hang vintage quilts instead.

I too wear bifocals plus magnifying glasses when i quilt. Nothing wrong with the way I look at all. 🙂

4. Kelly Callaghan says:

Love your blog! Your work is amazing – I think you must never sleep to get everything done! Bifocals are nothing Nerida! I’m on the trifocals and also considered a magnifying glass but decided I needed to wait until absolutely necessary. I can still squint to thread the needle.

5. I had special bifocals made so I could see to sew & look up & see the teacher when I take a class. The eye doctor had me bring my hand sewing in so she could figure out what would work. I’m near sighted, so most of the time I just take off my glasses when I’m sewing, because that works better, but in a class, I need to be able to see when I look up when the teacher is showing something, & putting my glasses back on takes too long.

6. embroideredtreasures says:

Teddy is such a cutie!!

7. Ginney Camden says:

Terry is such a good little supervisor. Can’t wait to see the finished product of the valances.

It is going to be good I think….takes a while to get those good blocks separated from the old top without damaging them……but I am excited to see it finished

8. darlynn says:

love the picture of Teddy trying to see what is going on. good night, the things we don’t do for our dogs! move the chair……

9. Lorij says:

Hi Tim, good to see you back to your old self again. When I had my eye examine earlier this year my Dr. gave me a prescription for a pair of sewing/ reading glasses and another for trifocals. I’ve worn trifocals since I was in my 30’s, but trying to sew and read caused severe tearing and headaches with the trifocals so that’s how he solved the issue.
    I like the valance. Teddy seems to approve to. Give him a rub for me.

10. Karin Peirce says:

I love the window treatment item, how clever are you to rescue these swell old blocks? (very clever) And that last shot of Teddy is just too sweet…

Comments