Finished……well almost

I got the painting finished and the quilts re hung and the window treatments finished on the bay window.

It turns out I have one more window to do 😦    I got ahead of myself and for some reason forgot that window needed to match .   I have to make one more valance  and hang a sheer curtain and it is cool enough now to take the AC unit out for the season.

I had a few questions about how I hang the quilts.     The way I do it is not recommended by most “experts” but it works well for me.   The recommended way to hang a quilt always requires adding a hanging sleeve to the back and then inserting a long pole .    I only add hanging sleeves to quilts that are entered in shows (it really isn’t hard to do but it is a bit boring)  so I use curtain rods.    Nothing fancy but the rings are the kind with little clips.

the clips hold the quilt well.

There is the possibility of the quilt becoming distorted or wavy along the top edge from the clips, but it hasn’t been an issue for me before and I had one hanging this way for over a year.   I do plan to change them often so I am not worried.

The wall color doesn’t like to photograph well but this pic is close .

DSCN8339 (2)

Teddy decided it was best to sit on the sofa (out-of-the-way) and watch.

Now that I have that nearly done I think it is going to be hard not to paint the next room…..and the sewing room…..and…………….

Happy quilting

51 thoughts on “Finished……well almost

1. Judie Frost says:

You have created a wonderful sanctuary to quilt in. I imagine there will be wonderful quilts created in this cozy environment!

You know it’s never ending when you start painting. Looks great!

3. Cathie King says:

I love the valance, just wonderful.

4. jean says:

It looks SO much better with out the dark wall and the blinds!

5. kim says:

Nicely done and your antique furniture looks so cozy…yes, home improvements always make everything else look shabby…so this winter just do one room at a time :0) Happy Sewing!

6. kemosabaycampground says:

One thing always leads to another. The sheers look so much better than the blinds. I have an old victrola just like yours.

7. WOW!! What a transformation!! Looks wonderful!

8. Cheryl says:

Love the valances! What a great use for an old quilt! Inspiration personified! Thanks once more.

9. Sandra B says:

Those valances are awesome!!
    I think I may try hanging a quilt using the clips…looks great, and that extra step of attaching the hanging sleeve is eliminated….win, win, in my opinion!!
    Teddy is looking handsome from his seat on the sofa!

10. Ginney Camden says:

I love the way the valances look.

11. Jenny M says:

Your first photo looks like it came out of a Home mag….your room looks wonderful…worth all the effort you have put into it.

12. Susan says:

You have really brightened up the room!

13. Eileen Mele says:

So nice of you to share! Your home is very handsome, Tim.

14. Nerida Duncan says:

What a difference that all makes. I love those valances. Teddy is admiring your handiwork from a safe distance. Clever thoughtful Teddy.

15. Teresa Harral says:

What a cozy little nook! I love your valances and your hanging quilts. Even your little tiffany lamp seems to shine in the newly renovated room. I so enjoy your blogs and find that you are an inspiration that spurs me into quilting (I am a beginner). Love your little Schnauzer Teddy. I have a little gray Schnauzer named Sammy who also follows the action!

16. pamelajs56 says:

Teddy is so adorable! I’m loving your window valances. Your house tells me a person who loves a cozy home lives here. Beautiful work! I imagine your friends and family feel so warm and welcome spending time with you in your home. Blessing to you and Teddy.

17. It all looks fantastic Tim! Good work!

18. Marla says:

Wow, you’ve accomplished a lot, and your house looks great.

19. Francisca says:

Hi Tim! Every day I wonder if your days are any longer than mine! You get so much done! Love your living room and the valance and the wall quilts. Have a nice day!
    vrolijke groet
    Francisca

20. Sandi says:

It looks beautiful Tim…and yes one thing leads to another! It goes on and on. Almost makes me want to start stripping wallpaper and and paint that needs to be done…almost. lol

21. Jaydee Price says:

Very nice Tim. It always leads to something else to do. Looks great.
    Jaydee

22. Carla says:

Looks great! How do you hang your valances?

there is a pocket sewn into the backing fabric for a tension rod…..my old windows had really deep wide frames so there is plenty of room for tension rods for both the shears and the valance

23. Love your new wall color–looks a lot like the color we painted our kitchen a few years ago! I thought it was too bright at 1st, but now I like it. I think the color was called pistachio.

24. Jeanette says:

Just love what you have done with this room. You have such a good eye for color and where to put it…
    I hang my quilts —-with straight pins, several across…and a couple at the bottom if it doesnt hang close. That way, if I change my mind, no problem. Of course, I have dry wall not plaster. It works and there is no patching after.

25. darlynn says:

tim, tim, tim….another post boasting of fabulous results. and this is “the house next door”~~~~

26. averyclaire says:

Your quilts made all the difference in your home. Absolutely delightful and quite charming. Beautiful.

27. glendajean says:

Morning Tim you have created a place where one would walk in and feel straight away at home were one would want to curl up and read a book or quilt and for get the worlds worries. it is truly lovely. Love love the valances in the window takes me back to the 50’s when I visited my grandmother as a very very small child. Cheers Glenda Australia.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )