sewing and planning

I spent a few hours adjusting and cleaning and oiling the new (old singer 600) machine and it is running great!

I made the last of the window treatments with the new machine.

It finished off the room nicely.

There was a ceiling fan

I hated it so I found an antique light (eBay ).

I need to get different bulbs but I think it looks pretty cool.

Teddy helped install it by sitting on the sofa and watching.

I also finished the backing for this quilt.

I used leftovers from the top again.

I now need to plan how to rearrange the room to fit the new machine and get Teddy’s chair next to the window.    And one thing leads to another……since I have to move everything I might as well paint while I am at it.  I have been waiting to hang things on the walls because I want to paint first and if everything is going to be moved it is the perfect time to do it.    The room is gray now….I know gray is a current trend but I find it very cold (concrete is gray)

A warmer color will be more cozy.

40 thoughts on “sewing and planning

1. Mrs. Plum says:

With the new light fixture, your living room now looks like a parlor–much more fitting the era of your home. Happy painting! I’m with you on the gray. For myself, I need to be surrounded by happy colors.

Thanks! I do think it is more era appropriate , but when I changed the light I found that there was an old gas line still in there so the original gas light would have been a bit different

2. Jill Stiger says:

I love your valences. Would you share the pattern? I have a sunroom that I’ve always wanted to make something for and I really like the look of yours.

3. Jenny Parker says:

Hi Tim,
    Your creativity and design skills are amazing. Thank you for sharing.

4. Sandy says:

What a transformation. The quilts make it look so cozy. Love what you did. It’s very inviting. You’re talented in so many ways. Hi cute Teddy!

5. Nancy says:

I love those window treatments! Perfect for your surroundings.

6. Sue says:

Wonderful! I have to agree with you on gray – “it’s a warm gray”, they say and I think “huh?” Looks cold to me. Lot of gray in quilts, too and I always want to add color. Me? I have a bright red wall along one side of my living room/kitchen (with white cabinets). I have never regretted doing that.

7. Sharon Eshlaman in Galesburg says:

I love the antique ceiling light……nice choice! And I love Teddy too, he’s so cute and photogenic.

8. terryknott says:

Love your window treatments and appreciate you getting Teddy’s chair back to the window. You know what is really important!

9. Barbara says:

I just love your window treatment!

10. Patricia Burns says:

Agreed, grey doesn’t cut it. White is useful, but I don’t like that either. I’ve spent a year in my new white studio, and haven’t found a way to like it yet even with vibrant fabrics here and there.

11. Lorij says:

Your room turned out really nice. I like your light. The valances are pretty. I’ve always thought they make a room feel more open and allow more light in.
    No grey/gray for me either. A warm ecru or cream, with one wall orange or, red or, rust something other than gray😊.
    Happy painting. Give Teddy a snuggle for me.

12. Pam G. says:

It’s all coming together and looking wonderful! What a treasure you have. And such a good inspector/helper in Teddy.

13. Jaydee Price says:

I really like what you have done with this old house. Now it has the charm of a quilter. Looks like Teddy likes it too.

14. Barbara Rasch says:

Room looks great.waiting to see what color you choose to paint it.

15. Ginney Camden says:

The room looks great with the window coverings done!

16. Janice says:

Love how everything has come together so nicely. What a great job on the window treatments; they really compliment the room! And I especially enjoy seeing the quilts you’ve made hung up on the walls. You get a much better idea of the size of the blocks than when we’ve seen them laid out on the floor. Great job, Tim! You are a real inspiration. Your blog is my favorite!! 🙂

17. Pamela says:

CHARMING! So HaPpY your new machine is working out so well. I LoVe your valances! And you created them yourself! Its amazing how love can change a house into a home. Loving it! Big hug for Teddy!

18. Susan says:

As a former interior designer in a former life, I have been following your design choices with interest.. it is always fascinating to follow what others like, especially as you get to “know” them online. Men can sometimes be too pragmatic and not warm it up…I thinking your quilting-design experience has had a profound influence on your choices of not only color but balance and proportion. Case in point: many home sewists make their valances either too-short a flounce or too deep, cutting off too much light. I,m loving what you have accomplished. PS Most would not have had the guts or the eye to hang that FaBULOUS graphic quilt..it is a perfect contrast to the vintage house and adds that lively OOMPH to keep it all from too Victorian a look. Add Teddy and you’re ready for your magazine photo-shoot!

19. Cheri Merritt says:

Don’t know if this will get to you, but want you to know that I have been enjoying your blog for at least a year. So much so that I’m going back to the archives and catching up. It’s been inspiring, informative, and has made me laugh out loud more than once! Thank you,Cheri

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )