Fall Colors

It is hard to deny it…..fall is here.    The leaves are changing and falling.  Time to get some fall cleanup done in the garden.   I took a few pictures today.

This is Amelanchier x grandiflora ‘Autumn Brilliance’ it is still very young but the fall color is great.

The lilac next (on the right)  to it also has nice fall color

as does the climbing hydrangea in the front

The real star for me is the Tricyrtis (Toad Lily)  blooming amid the maiden hair fern .

DSCN8407 DSCN8407 (2)

Here are a few more pictures of some things still blooming (click pictures to enlarge)

It wont be long before it is all done for the season……but pretty while it lasts

Happy Gardening

27 thoughts on “Fall Colors

1. Jenny says:

Hi Tim,
    Thank you for sharing your autumn. We don’t have very much of a change in seasons here (sub tropical Aus) so just seeing such different plants is a real treat, to say nothing of the colour variations.
    You also inspired me to try hand quilting a few months ago – in winter here. Not a raving success, but I will re- read your comments on how it is done and try again next winter!!! (I was using flannel top and backing and a wool batting and it was VERY thick.) Next time it will be cotton top and backing and a light batting.

Take care
    Jenny

Some of the most beautiful times in Michigan are at the change of seasons …..but winter I could easily do without!
      Glad you tried hand quilting….and I think it is a good plan to try thinner batting and cotton top back ….have fun with it (when it cools off again)

2. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your beautiful garden. I can’t believe that we still haven’t had a hard freeze in Boulder, CO! I told a friend today–maybe the tomatoes will make it to November!

3. Yveline Merle-Mullinix says:

The tricyrtis is glorious…..looks like an orchid! I don’t miss autumn, in Florida…smile

4. Sharon Eshlaman in Galesburg says:

Beautiful pictures……love the toad lily! This time of year is so beautiful, but it also feels like the end of something…..kinda happy and sad feeling for me. Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden.

Oh Tim, is there any time of year when your garden doesn’t look charming? Just lovely.

6. cheridawn2@yahoo.com says:

When I see your gorgeous garden pictures, it make me wonder if most of your plants would thrive as well where I live (Mpls/St. Paul). We’re further north. I’ll have to check with a nursery. You are inspiring me to start planning a garden!

Sent from my iPhone

7. Ann says:

Beautiful fall pictures! I particularly love the Toad Lily/Maidenhair Fern combo. What a great texture combination!

Our colors here hit peak about Oct 14-14 but there are still individual trees that are gorgeous, and the oaks are beginning to turn now—Act II!
    Hi to Teddy,
    Ann

Thanks Ann…that combo worked out great for my little shade garden…..protected corner damp and shady….I think Ill plant a few more toad lilies in a few other spots because that late color is so great.
      enjoy act 2`

8. Pam G. says:

Oh so beautiful and my favorite time of year in Michigan. We had planned a trip in October, but the plan got derailed! Thanks for sharing these awesome photos. I bet Teddy feels pretty frisky with the fall temps.

It has been rainy the last few days and that he doesn’t like at all (he thinks he will melt if he gets wet) but he does like the cooler temps ….he (and I) would be happy it was 65 – 70 all the time

9. Karen M says:

We drove up to Michigan (Saugatuck, Muskegon, Whitehall) from Indianapolis earlier this month. Michigan is a beautiful state. Love your photos. Thanks for sharing. Seems we quilters love our gardens, too!!

10. Thank you for sharing the beauty Tim!

11. Lorij says:

Tim it’s all so beautiful. What is the name of the orange plant. It is stunning! Teddy looks as if he’s saying get on with what you’re doing so, you can finish up this quilt 😄. An ear scratch for me for Teddy .

12. Lorij says:

I posted the comment here for November 2 and this one too. Hence the comment about Teddy. On 31 of October it started to rain very lightly early morning. It stopped about 11:30am, started again Saturday 6:10 pm just a good drizzle and this morning as I was going to church there was a light rain that has gotten just a bit heavier. It is so wonderful because it had not rained here since January and it was not much then. It has been so dry we’re near Sacramento and the drought is very, very, very bad. Lake Folsom is almost completely dry. This is a good steady rain, not heavy but just the kind that can really soak in and not cause flooding. I’m so grateful. I’m hoping the areas that have had fires won’t get so much that there will be landslides because there is nothing to hold the soil because the fires have burned the trees and plants. The entire state needs this kind of rain. Not too much, just enough 😊.

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )