Log Cabin Variation Finished

I bought this antique (circa 1900) quilt top in 2012

2012_0802logs-and-bars0018

It might be hard to tell from the picture how wonky and puckered it is.     It required a remake to get it flat enough to quilt.    You can read how I did that here  https://timquilts.com/2012/08/08/log-cabin-re-do-begins/

I  started the hand quilting and got half done but it got set aside for another project and was forgotten.    I got back to it and finished it .    The batting is Hobb’s Heirloom Wool.  I used YLI black hand quilting thread.  Finished size is 75″ x 90″

I washed it and dried it as soon as I finished the hand quilting.   Machine washed in a top load washer on gently cycle with warm water and regular detergent with the addition of 2 Tablespoons of Dawn dish washing liquid (the dawn keeps stray dye from bleeding).  Dried in the dryer on low temp.
Here it is fresh out of the dryer.

It is hard to see the hand quilting in this light (daylight is best so I’ll take more pics in the morning) but here are more pictures (click to enlarge)

My new light really helped. I can get it very close to the quilt and it helps my vision a lot.   I can get back to quilting small stitches again now.   It is hard to see the stitching here but it is only about 7 stitches per inch .

I have a bunch of other projects in progress to get done…..

happy quilting

and Teddy

34 thoughts on “Log Cabin Variation Finished

Awesome as usual! 🙂

2. The Dawn piqued my interest. You did a post on dye catchers. Do you think the Dawn really works? Great job btw.

3. Jaydee Price says:

Teddy looks so sweet sitting on the quilts you quilt. He is such a good adviser. Keep up the wonderful work.

4. Sandra Henderson says:

The quilting really makes this ! I think if I were the original owner that I would be so very proud to see what you’ve done to finish the work started and not finished before now.

5. Kate says:

Did I miss something? What new light?

6. katechiconi says:

I do love to see old quilts resurrected. The quilting pattern on this is lovely, too, the last picture with Teddy shows it quite well. Did you mark it with your washable Crayola markers, or was it the faithful mechanical pencil?

7. Mrs. Plum says:

You did a great job making the quilt lay flat. Congrats on another finish!

8. Lorij says:

I like the red between the blocks. It’s a beautiful quilt. Teddy makes it look even better 😊. Having good light is very important especially if you wear glasses. I’m seeming to be having a bit of issue with my vision of late. Just got new lens in April. May have to go back for another look see.
    You are really getting your UFO’S done. I’m trying to get all of mine finished too, before Christmas.

9. Marla says:

The leaf quilting design looks great on this quilt. Congratulations on another great finish.

10. Carolyn says:

Lovely work! Hard to believe this quilt was made c. 1900! It would fit right in with all the modern ones being done these days!

11. Pam G. says:

As I’ve said before… you are such an inspiration and I’ve learned so much from your tips! Definitely gonna try the Dawn dish soap. Love the quilt and especially the photo of Teddy on the quilt. Great job Tim!

Tim, I love the look of this quilt; it combines and honors the heritage of the piecing and fabrics and your contemporary quilting design and execution and ends up looking beyond time. I love this quilt. And it’s happy too. Next stop Paducah hall of fame. Teddy might help keep the viewing lines in check (for the quilt and for him).

13. Laurs says:

Hey, Tim, Have you seen this 1/2-hour 1979 documentary called “Kathleen Ware, Quiltmaker”? http://www.folkstreams.net I think you’d like seeing the traditional methods she used to make quilts…on a sewing machine like one of yours! I thought that it might appeal to your interest in vintage quilts and their makers.

14. Barbara Rasch says:

This quilt is lovely. I never heard of adding Dawn to wash with. Thanks for the tip. Will try. Teddy is looking as handsome as usual.

15. glendajean says:

Morning Tim and Teddy, I fell in love with this quilt when you first showed it, so so glad you were able to resort it and now to see it quilted what a GEM you have completed to be loved for many years and generations to come. Do you ever think about printing off how you restored these lovely old quilts for future generations to know their history???? and pop it in to a pocket behind the quilt?? Sending a BIG Thanks for finishing this lovely old quilt Tim. Cheers Glenda

16. audrey says:

I was positive I left a message on here yesterday, but somehow it disappeared! LOVE this quilt so much. I’ve been amazed at how much the stitching has added that special something to make this quilt really shine. The combination of leaves and flowers is just incredible!!

17. Ginney Camden says:

It’s pretty. I love the vine and leaf quilt pattern

Comments