Snowflake Applique

As you may have noticed I love to make snowflakes.  ( see how here

I decided to try one in applique.     I started by cutting one using freezer paper.   The freezer paper was pretty easy to cut.   I then pressed the snowflake to white fabric and cut it out.   Then I glue basted it to a blue background fabric.

I then machine appliqued it.   I have had this Brother Machine for several years and it wouldn’t work.  I just kept getting error messages.

but I fiddled with it and got it running again and it worked great.   My vintage machines don’t have a blanket stitch and this one does.

DSCN8604 DSCN8603

The glue shows a bit in this picture (click on the picture to enlarge it) with only part of the applique done.

After it was all stitched I rinsed it to remove the glue and then pressed it.

It took a long time to do.  There are a million turns and starts and stops and I really am new to machine applique but I think it turned out pretty good.

This made an 18inch block.  This would make a nice pillow top.  12 blocks with sashing would make a full sized quilt.   I think I’ll make one with 12 different snowflakes.  Check back for updates on that.

We had lots of snow here in Lansing Michigan….here are a few pictures out my studio window.

DSCN8611 DSCN8610 DSCN8609

Teddy prefers to say inside when it is cold and snowy.

22 thoughts on “Snowflake Applique

1. huggybears says:

SOO proud of your trying to make that old maschine work for you and it did !That buttonhole stitch is awesome- so is the applique you managed to lay flat and neat on your backing fabric. More flakes in the future-now you learned how to use the wonderpapers named freezer paper ! Have a great thanksgiving and save just some tiny pieces for precious Teddy !! Marga from Berlin,Germany

2. Marilyn says:

Hi Tim – really enjoy your snowflakes! Mine still suck. Never could get the hang of it when I was kid. (I failed snowflakes in Art!) (sigh) LOL Save some turkey for Teddy. (I am sure he gets spoiled.)

3. Carol says:

Enjoy your posts n of course your quilt supervisor Teddy. I have a supervisor named Ike.

4. kemosabaycampground says:

Love the snowflake applique. I don’t have a machine that does blanket stitch. I usually just use zigzag, but I think the blanket stitch looks more elegant.

5. What a beautiful idea, Tim. I recently bought a book at Joanne’s on making paper cut-outs called “Cut Up This Book” by Emily Hogarth. I am surprised after all these years at how much I never knew when it comes to cutting paper! A great book. And it is helping me with my applique quilts now, whether I ever get to paper or not. I know your snow-flake quilt will be gorgeous…

6. You have inspired me to try a snowflake or two. We have lots of snow in Eastpointe as well. Great day to stay indoors, Teddy has the right idea.

7. Cheri Dawn says:

I cannot believe all the snow you have! So far we are snow-free in Minneapolis, which seems like it should be the other way around. I’m sure our time is coming . . . Soon! In the meantime I’ll enjoy seeing your beautiful snowflake appliqués.

8. Pam G. says:

Love the snowflake quilt – especially on the blue fabric. And sweet Teddy! He posses so nicely. I don’t blame him for wanting to stay inside, but the snow is beautiful (as long as you don’t have to travel in it.)

9. Beautiful snowflake quilt Tim! and beautiful dog 🙂 Go Teddy!

10. Deb says:

You know how I like my snow?…. In pictures! 😄 The snow is beautiful! And the snowflake even more so.

11. Becky in VA says:

You always do nice work! I’m with Teddy – stay inside out of the snow!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )