Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to all.   Here are a few fun seasonal blocks from a vintage quilt top in my collection.

2010_1206calendar-quilt-top0025 2010_1206calendar-quilt-top0013

I have been busy roasting vegetables for tomorrow.    There will be 25 people at my sister’s house for Thanksgiving dinner so it takes a lot of food.

I roast the vegies separately in batches because they all cook at different rates.    2 pounds of carrots, 2 pounds brussel sprouts 2 butternut squashes, pearl onions, parsnips, turnips……this pan weighs a ton.   They reheat nicely.

Pumpkin Pies next

Teddy is watching closely

I have been playing with another vintage machine.

I have it nearly set to use.   Still needs some adjusting in the bobbin tension .

Have a great day Thursday!

47 thoughts on “Happy Thanksgiving

1. Sandy says:

Happy Thanksgiving! You can cook too! Blessed with so many talents.
    That sure looks yummy.

2. Cathie King says:

Your vegetables look delicious! Happy Thanksgiving to you and Teddy!

3. Jaydee Price says:

Your veggies look great. Have a fun day. I love vintage machines. I have my mother’s Singer 301 slant needle with all of the attachments and it is in the cabinet too. Sews like gold. She just hums.

4. darlynn says:

Singer 301 is my favorite vintage machine. I was happy to see that you use one as well. Second favorite is Precision Deluxe. Amazing workhorse. I have the Elna you are showing, but have not tinkered with it to encourage a nice stitch. anxious to see your results.

5. Cheryl says:

Happy Thanksgiving! Thankful for the inspiration you share and for Teddy who reminds me of a special pooch we once were blessed to call ours! Those veggies look so good!

6. anngenaske says:

Thank you for sharing this, Tim. Enjoy your family. Wishing you all the best

7. Nancy says:

Love roasted veggies. It brings out the sweetness in all of them. I didn’t realize they reheat well, since there are never any left when I make them! Once I even put beets in the mix which gave it all a nice look. Happy Thanksgiving blessings to you and your big family!

I have to make so many that I could never get them done on the day….so reheating was a test I did a few years ago….worked great ……I’ll Have to try beets….I love them

8. Tina Williams says:

Love those embroidered squares! Your veggies will be a great addition to the feast. Happy Thanksgiving!

9. katechiconi says:

Happy Thanksgiving. May you be blessed with plenty to be thankful for in the forthcoming year.

Happy Thanksgiving Tim.

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope Teddy gets to join in on the festivities, too!
    I love that vintage machine! I have another old machine, an Elgin Rotary, not sure of the date of it, but it’s in a cabinet and the wiring needs to be replaced before I would ever consider plugging it in. I bought it at a garage sale for $30.00 and they said an old aunt was using it up until she died. With that wiring, I wonder how she died??LOL!

12. Sandra B says:

Love those vintage squares!
    And I love the look of the roasted veggies!
    I hope you and Teddy have a wonderful Thanksgiving….sharing time and a great meal with family and friends…and safe travels to and from!!

13. Happy Thanksgiving, Tim…
    Here’s a little nursery rhyme my mother learned in grade school back in the 20’s.

“Thanksgiving Day is coming”, old Mr. Turkey said, “and very careful I must be or I shall lose my head”! Said the pumpkin to the turkey, “I’m scared too, yes, oh my. They’ll mix me up with sugar and spice and I’ll be a pumpkin pie”! (I heard that every year of my life until mother died at 93 yrs. of age.)

14. Your veggies look wonderful. You should show us the pies too. I’m trying a Bruleed Bourbon-Maple Pumpkin Pie this year. It has a chocolate crust! The Cranberry Salad & stuffing are in the fridge & the apple pie will go in the oven in the morning (before the turkey). dinner is at our house!

15. nellie1951 says:

Happy THANKSGIVING TIM AND Teddy ,veggies look good too

16. Lorij says:

Hour you and your family have a great time together. Teddy too.

17. Lorij says:

Supposed to say, hope you and your family have a great time together. And Teddy too.
    DON’T eat to much.

18. Pam G. says:

Happy Thanksgiving Tim & Teddy! Veggies look & sound marvelous. Enjoy the day with your family.

19. susie Q says:

Yes, the veggies also got my attention. A generation ago each of those would be in a separate bowl – (and pan to cook). A dozen veggies are as much our Thanksgiving as the turkey – note to self: put six in the pan at once!!! Brilliant….

20. Barbara Rasch says:

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Teddy.

21. Mary Ann says:

Veggies look so good. Already eaten and I feel like the stuffed turkey. I’m so glad someone else collects old sewing machines besides me. I had 27 at last count, all working. Would love to play n your studio with all your treasures.
    Mary Ann

22. Rose in Vt says:

Beautiful blocks, and veggies! I just got done freezing some beets from the garden before having surgery two days ago. Will enjoy putting them in something like yours when I can have solid food again. Meanwhile I’m enjoying seeing what everyone else is preparing…:)

23. Lindy says:

Hello from Australia. I have this Elna model in a beige colour. It was bought in 1955 and is still in use although I never use the discs other than the zigzag. I do have to make sure if the underlying seam points away from me that it does not catch between the machine and the arm rest where there is a gap!

Comments