Applique

If you have been following for a few years you might remember these blocks.

antique red applique blocks 008

They were cut out and basted about 100 years ago and one has the applique started.

antique red applique blocks 005

Here they are set on point.

applique on point 001

I am not sure how I will end up setting them but I needed a break from hand quilting so I decided to start the applique

I am not very good at needle turn applique but I am getting better……one block done.

here is the back

It is going to be a pretty quilt when it is finished but I don’t expect the finish to be very soon 🙂

I try to remember every year to write a note about Poinsettias.   My first job was at a greenhouse growing them and I did an internship in college at a poinsettia farm in CA.       Poinsettias are not poisonous   here are a few links to articles about it.   http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/poinsettia.asp

And they are very pretty.  Here is one I bought this year.

DSCN8655 DSCN8654 DSCN8653

Teddy says HI

30 thoughts on “Applique

1. Susan Steele says:

when you finish that quilt it will be a LuLu!!!!! Looks very Hawaiian! I really love the color of your Poinsettia! Gorgeous!

Ok, put my name on the quilt and let me know when it’s done. I can be very patient.

3. Sharon in Galesburg says:

Teddy looks so intense……such a serious little guy……wish I could hug him😊 Nice job on the needle turn……I never did master that.

4. Great start. I want to do a hand applique project one of these days. You are my inspiration.

5. Marilyn Schambach says:

It’s very possible that red and white will be popular next Christmas too.

6. The red and white blocks are very interesting..a bit folk art-ish. And trust me, the more appliqué you do, the better you’ll get. And it gets easier too. Nice change from hand quilting! Enjoy Teddy and the poinsettia photos.

7. audrey says:

Love these applique blocks! It’s a really interesting pattern!

8. Kathy says:

I have no doubt that you will master appliqué. These blocks have a gentle curve and will go fast. You will love it!

9. Jing says:

I love to do hand applique, but this project is so formidable I won’t even dream of doing something like this. My hat’s off to you and best wishes! You have proven you can do whatever it is you set your mind to, so I’m sure you’ll finish this beautifully too.

10. Nancy says:

Love the red and white look! BTW, while poinsettias themselves may not be poisonous, the milky white sap can cause big problems. We had (past tense) a HUGE euphorbia (same family of plants) which was almost touching the ceiling. So hub and I put on gloves for pruning it. The short story is he quickly had extreme eye irritation/pain even tho he was not in direct contact with the sap, almost to the point of an ER visit. He couldn’t come back into the house for hours until I had cleared the air with several big fans. Even then he had a miserable night. This is a guy who has had no other allergies. I’ve stuck to holly and pine at Christmas now just in case. 🙂

11. victoria says:

Superbe ! j’adore votre site. Admirations de France.

12. Beautiful poinsettia plant. And the quilt, too! I think I’ll try having poinsettia’s out again this year after doing without last year because our now 20 month old Sheltie likes to take bites out of plants. Last year I believed she might die if we got one! Good to know it’s all untrue!

13. Pam G. says:

What a beautiful quilt! I’ve done needle turn and it takes patience. Teddy is so handsome – give him a doggie massage from me.

14. Eileen Mele says:

Bless you, Tim. Always words of wisdom and a bright spot for the day!

15. Merry Christmas to you and Teddy, and thanks for the links. I had a cat that ate all the leaves, curled up around the stem and went to sleep in the pot without any ill effects. That is going to be a glory of a quilt when done.

Comments