Cutting Roses

I have been working on a new idea for a quilt.

Remember this snowflake?

I have been thinking that something like it would make a super quilt center.

At this time of year Roses make me think of one of my favorite Carols

“Es ist ein Ros entsprungen” (“A rose has sprung up”), most commonly translated to English as “Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming” or “A Spotless Rose”, is a Christmas carol and Marian Hymn of German origin.
The text is thought to be penned by an anonymous author, and the piece first appeared in print in the late 16th century. The English translation “Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming” was written by Theodore Baker in 1894

Lo, how a rose e’er blooming,
From tender stem hath sprung.
Of Jesse’s lineage coming,
As men of old have sung;
It came, a flow’ret bright,
Amid the cold of winter,
When half spent was the night.

Isaiah ’twas foretold it,
The Rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it,
The virgin mother kind;
To show God’s love aright,
She bore to men a Savior,
When half spent was the night.

O Flower, whose fragrance tender
With sweetness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious splendour
The darkness everywhere;
True man, yet very God,
From Sin and death now save us,
And share our every load.

So I made a 45 inch wide snowflake with the rose design.

I used craft paper and it still needs to be pressed flat.  It will then be traced onto fabric and I will needle turn applique it to a background.   I will also design more for the corners.    This likely will take forever but I do think it is going to be great!

I have 2 of the antique blocks appliqued  (they are pretty irregular because the pieces were so irregularly cut out b ut that adds to the charm of an antique.

36 thoughts on “Cutting Roses

1. Ann Genaske says:

Enjoy and cherish your time creating your rose quilt. It truly is an heirloom in the making.

2. katechiconi says:

It’s a magnificent idea for a quilt. The carol is one of my favourites; my mother used to sing it to us in the original German, but this is a very poetic translation.

I listened to a few of the German versions which are also very beautiful but decided to post this one because it is the version I know from childhood when my parents sang it in the church choir.

3. Carolanne.adams says:

Always innovative. What a beautiful rose.

4. Jan Marriott says:

What a lovely carol, one I do not know.

5. Val Edwards (Wales, UK) says:

I’ve just joined your followers and must say that the rose motif is inspirational, and beautiful. I fancy it in true rose-pink on a dove grey ground with maybe a touch of white or green – to suit my guest bedroom. Whether i’d have the ability to complete the applique is another matter. I admire (from afar) your ability to handstitch so skilfully.

Thank you! I have my fabrics set to go…..the applique will be white (since I want it to look like one of my snowflakes) and the background will be a very cool subtle hand dyed blue that A friend made for me
      blue and white always seem like winter colors to me. your rose and grey sounds great as well…..might need to do 2 🙂

6. Carol says:

What a beautiful design. I would love to see your progress with the magnificent quilt you will create. Thank you for sharing the words to the Christmas Carol. I have heard the song sung but never payed too much attention to the words. Merry Christmas. Enjoy your posts.

7. JoZart says:

It will look amazing … a lot of work but well worth the effort, I’m sure!
    I look forward to seeing the results.
    Jo

8. Kate says:

Have you heard the recent arrangement of this carol, matched and mixed with The Rose? St. Olaf’s choir did it a couple years ago. Absolutely breathtaking.

9. Deb says:

Looks like you have your work” cut out “for you. I know I will enjoy the progress as you blog it.The song is wonderful!

10. Carla says:

Love your rose idea! It will be worth the time you put into it!

11. Nerida Duncan says:

It looks fabulous Tim. Thanks for the carol, the video and the little history lesson. I also had never heard this one before. I hope Teddy likes roses too.

Lovely, Tim, just lovely.

13. Lindsay Pavel says:

This rose snowflake is going to be your best ever. And the applique . . . your blog is like Wonderland!

14. Caron Mosey says:

This is going to be fantastic! And I agree, that is a wonderful song! I remember singing that Acappella in high school. The harmonies made it so beautiful!

15. Donna K says:

Nice rose pattern Tim. I do love your appliqué work too. It has such charm. It will be fun to see it done sometime.
    Have you had time to check your email? I sent two last week.

Donna K

16. Such a beautiful rose! I hope you will publish the pattern for sale. I would love to try one also, but don’t have your paper cutting skills.

17. Nina says:

Thank you Tim for this carol and its history. I have never heard it before…shared it with my husband and he said ‘WOW’!

I am glad you liked it 🙂 When I was in about the 5th grade my parents were in the church choir and this was one they sang ….it is still a favorite…but one that you don’t often hear. But it always makes me think that roses are also a Christmas Flower.

Comments