Tracing

I got started on the applique rose project.   Here is the cutout

I pressed it flat so tracing would be easier.   Then I pressed the fabric and I starched it.   I find that the starch helps in the needle turn because it is easier to get a crease in the fabric and it helps prevent unraveling.

In order to keep the cutout in place I pinned it to the fabric.

It is easier for me when my lines are pretty dark so i used a crayola washable marker.  (it wont come out until I wash it )  it might be hard to see in pictures but I can see it .

here it is all traced

Now I need to cut it out.   I m not going to cut much, just the basic shape.   If I were to cut it out fully it would be a lot harder to keep it from becoming distorted while I baste it in place.

The backijng fabric I have posted about before.  It is a beautiful hand dyed fabric.

I had marked it to do a whole cloth but I was just not convinced it was right.    The rose cutout was designed to fit the fabric.

I added some dots of basting glue to the cut out and placed it on the blue fabric/

The glue will keep the placement set while I do some hand basting.

After all the basing is done I can start the applique.  I will trim and clip as I go.

A lot of people have asked to see my fabric storage closet.  I still have a lot to do the get it organized but here is a start.   These are all antique quilt tops and blocks with a picture of each top that is in the bin taped to the outside so I know how to find them.   The top shelf is a mess!    I need to get a few more shelves.

Here is some of the fabric stash ( most of this is a yard or more of each piece with a few smaller pieces mixed in)

I think I’ll get 2 or 3 more of these shelves and I will be able to fill them with smaller pieced and fat quarters etc and I need one for orphan antique blocks.

There is room for more shelves.

getting things out of boxes is good and bad…..each piece of fabric makes me think of what I can make….so many projects!

Ill post some pictures later, when I get it finished.

Teddy says HI

He is so shaggy!   he goes to see the groomer tomorrow ….

32 thoughts on “Tracing

1. Anita S says:

Hey Tim, this looks really neat!  I’m looking forward to seeing it when you’re finished.   When you used the crayola washable markers, do they come out completely when you’re done? Happy stitching! Anita Behold

2. Carol says:

Thank you for allowing us to follow your magnificent project. You are more than a quilter, you are an artist. Looking forward to the next steps. I learn from your posts.

What can I say — that is one impressive stash! And the fabric, it’s quite exceptional; you said a friend made it — could you tell us more about him or her?

4. Maureen Jackson says:

Why did you not choose the butcher paper method?

5. I’ll love watching your process with your rose Tim. I took a Hawaiian quilt class that pretty much did what you’ve described with yours. It’s going to be a jewel…

6. Jackie Baumhauer says:

What kind of scissors do you use to cut snowflakes and what kind of paper are you using for the rose project?

7. Carolyn Sands says:

Teddy is a sweet baby!!

8. Cheryl says:

What a handsome picture of Teddy!

9. Mrs. Plum says:

Teddy isn’t shaggy, he’s just fluffy. As for your new project, I’m looking forward to following your progress.

10. Dr. Sitara says:

Thanks
    Its really great that you share your experience with us. Have a good day.

11. nellie1951 says:

i like your pattern for applique do you make your own designs .hi Teddy

12. Pam G. says:

Yet another masterpiece in the works – can’t wait for updates! And sweet Teddy… he is just too handsome. If you ever put together & sell a Teddy Calendar, I want one.

13. Judie Harriett says:

Have been told you should not store quilts in closed plastic bins but looks like that is what you are doing. What is your opinion? Enjoy your articles and useful info. Thanks

I have heard that as well….but I don’t agree. the bins are not air tight, and the plastic is not acidic ….and they are not in a hot attic or damp basement so they wont have big changes in temp/humidity…..

14. Lorij says:

Great on your stash, its sort of neat :). Teddy looks kinda cute shaggy.

15. Elsie Dubois says:

Tim…it’s going to be gorgeous when finished. Love your tree skirt also…and Teddy is adorable.
    Merry Christmas